Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how lease return inspections are working at the moment? I have a 2017 Bolt that needs to be returned next month and the 3rd party that does this work is still not doing inspections out in the field due to covid. GM Financial told me to just simply return the car to a dealer and sign whatever paperwork is needed. Problem with that is, with inspections for past leases, I was told what my charges might be prior to turn in so I could get them repaired at a lesser expense. The only obvious thing I need to replace are the tires, but haven't really found anything else. That's not to say if they do eventually inspect they might find something, but I wont have a chance to correct myself.

So how is this suppose to work?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I returned a volt without inspection. I got new lease with a dealership. They told me not to worry about the return, and they would take care of it for me.

A few months later I got a bill with inspection report with photos. Most identified damages were correct and the charges were fair. But there were two big scratches that were not there when we dropped off the car. They (whoever parties involved) towed the car to another facility where the inspection was done and the car was auctioned off. The scratches were probably incurred during the transportation process. I contested. They dropped the charges on repairing those 2 scratches without a fight at all.

In retrospect I should have gone through the normal process. In your case it is pretty much under unusual circumstances and options are limited. I would suggest do your own inspection and repair as much as you can. Take a lot of pictures when you drop the car off. I believe they will be reasonable given the situation we are in.

Good luck.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
554 Posts
Like TL said, document as much as possible, both inside and out to CYA and avoid any possible issue going forward. I'd look into replacing the tires if possible prior to turning it in. that issue is addressed in a thread on the forum.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Take extensive time stamped pictures of your returned vehicle. I only leased a vehicle once in my life so I could drive a car I couldn't normally afford. It was a chick magnet. When I returned it, I got the bill a week or two later and everything was appropriate so my lease experience was a good one. I'm not a fan of leases so I only have one experience to relay.

·
Registered
928 Posts
If you are able take pics or vid with the drop off location in the background. That way they can't say anything about your time stamps in case something screwy happens. Its too easy to mess with time stamps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also had a 2017 that was due back April 17th. AutoVin canceled my inspections in March and I still needed the car, so I took advantage of the 30-day extension (which I regret).

I brought the car back to my original dealer on May 5th and they took it in. I totally forgot about the pictures but signed the paperwork showing I had all the items (handbook, key fobs, charging cable, etc).

I didn't need a car now so expected the lease return fee to appear. A few weeks later I had not received the final statement in the mail but saw that my online account had an amount due of $1,135!
I called and they said it was the lease return fee and a charge for tires! I told them I just installed new, same spec Michelin tires from Costco in December 2019. They provided me an email to send a copy of the receipt as proof and seemed to assure me that the proof should be good enough to have the charge removed.

It's been a week and I have not heard back and my account still shows the full amount due. Additionally, online says the amount is due by June 12, but I still have not received the official ending statement in the mail with the detailed charges.

Needless to say, this is frustrating given I've leased and returned 3 other vehicles (Ford, Honda, VW) without incident.

Point being - get the formal inspection done if you can but as others have stated, take pictures!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also had a 2017 that was due back April 17th. AutoVin canceled my inspections in March and I still needed the car, so I took advantage of the 30-day extension (which I regret).

I brought the car back to my original dealer on May 5th and they took it in. I totally forgot about the pictures but signed the paperwork showing I had all the items (handbook, key fobs, charging cable, etc).

I didn't need a car now so expected the lease return fee to appear. A few weeks later I had not received the final statement in the mail but saw that my online account had an amount due of $1,135!
I called and they said it was the lease return fee and a charge for tires! I told them I just installed new, same spec Michelin tires from Costco in December 2019. They provided me an email to send a copy of the receipt as proof and seemed to assure me that the proof should be good enough to have the charge removed.

It's been a week and I have not heard back and my account still shows the full amount due. Additionally, online says the amount is due by June 12, but I still have not received the official ending statement in the mail with the detailed charges.

Needless to say, this is frustrating given I've leased and returned 3 other vehicles (Ford, Honda, VW) without incident.

Point being - get the formal inspection done if you can but as others have stated, take pictures!
Yeah, see this is what I'm concerned about. I just put on used Firestones, same size and rating. I'm going to take pics with a tread depth gauge to be certain, plus every square inch of the car. Normally you're there with the inspector so when he points out something you can agree or disagree. They need to get back to the inspections honestly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was able to resolve the 'excess wear and tear' charge on my new tires with GM financial.
They removed the charge and I 'only' owe $429.

Interestingly, if I had kept the old tires on the car I would have been OK with the tire charge, which was $648, and cheaper than the $685 I paid for Costco!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts