Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks.
Lately when I charge my 2018 Bolt, once it is fully charged it begins making this odd, almost grinding-type noise. When I unplug the car from the charger the noise goes away. Has anyone experienced this before? This is a new development for me. It's only started happening the last couple of times I've fully charged it (I say "fully charge", but really I mean "up to Hill Top reserve").

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Hi folks.
Lately when I charge my 2018 Bolt, once it is fully charged it begins making this odd, almost grinding-type noise. When I unplug the car from the charger the noise goes away. Has anyone experienced this before? This is a new development for me. It's only started happening the last couple of times I've fully charged it (I say "fully charge", but really I mean "up to Hill Top reserve").

Any thoughts?
In warm weather. the radiator fan winds up pretty high. First time I heard it, I though something was about to blow. The onboard charger, and the smaller accessory battery charger, which sits on top of it, can both be running while charging. They are cooled by antifreeze which circulates through the radiator. Much of the year, the surface area of the radiator provides enough cooling. In hot weather it requires forced air flow to do the job. The other thing that happens during charging in hot weather is AC cooling of the battery pack. That compressor winds up pretty high too, and even though it is attached to the motor/gearbox case, it still whines pretty good. Unplugging the charger often stops the noise, but is counter productive, as the battery, and electronics need to stay relatively cool.

If you are already familiar with the noises I described, and this is different, I imagine a bearing could be going in a coolant pump, fan motor, or the AC compressor.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Hi folks.

Any thoughts?
The car is temperature conditioning the battery. All our Bolt's due this at the end of the charge, especially when outside temp varies significantly from the nominal battery temp. Believe this is done so the car can balance the cells at a consistent battery temp.

·
Registered
592 Posts
My 2019 does the same thing. I know it's just getting rid of risidual heat after a charge but I was worried the first time I heard it because it isn't a "clean" sound: just a sound a fan would make. It did have a bit of a "grinding" component but I believe that's the compressor. I think as long as it's not a severe grinding to the point it sounds like someone threw a bag of chicken bones into a garbage disposal, I'm not gonna worry about it. :) On mine, it's just a mild ratcheting noise.

Mike

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, all, for the helpful answers! That sets my mind at ease. I'm sure the noise is due to the cooling taking place.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Thanks, all, for the helpful answers! That sets my mind at ease. I'm sure the noise is due to the cooling taking place.
Mine does a similar noise - some whirring and clicking type noises. As others have mentioned overly hot or cold batteries are not a good thing.

·
Registered
471 Posts
It's not a noise. It's a sound.

Noise is what things do when they are malfunctioning. Sound is what things do normally.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts