Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my 2019 Bolt, as I loved my 2013 Volt for six years. However there are a few minor "nits" that can be considered safety issues. If you are parked on a hill and wish to back up, never never, never relax your hand and let it fall back onto the shift lever. You will immediately put your car in neutral and get a demonstration of how fast it can roll downhill! For an 84 year old gent, I don't need that kind of a thrill.
The second isue is minor. but that insane tray like object on the floor between the driver's feet and the passenger's feet. There is no way that that tray, on the floor, can be useful to an active driver.
Other than that, I love my Bolt and if Ilive long enough (remember, I'm 84 years old) I will buy another to replace it!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Didn't know about neutral on hills. Will have to try it. Are you going from D to N or...? I thought it always required the side button to be pressed.
Otherwise, I actually like and use that tray. I have 3 of those reusable shopping bags that store into their own pouch, a small folded towel and a couple other things I don't remember.
But my nits...
  • How far back the center console is. It's almost impossible to get things out of there while driving.
  • The head rests feel very cheap and too angled forward. With the seat upright, they push my head in uncomfortable positions.
  • Please Chevy, let me turn the radio OFF...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Keep pushing the shifter forward will put the car in neutral. I can see that. It is indeed scary when it happens.

However it requires the shifter be PUSHED forward for more than a second. Resting you hand on the shifter won't do it, unless you have a heavy hand.

I still don't like the white pattern on the dash. The infotainment unit should support wireless Android auto and MirrorLink.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
169 Posts
The second issue is minor. but that insane tray like object on the floor between the driver's feet and the passenger's feet. There is no way that that tray, on the floor, can be useful to an active driver.
I'll watch out for the Neutral bit!!
Actually, I do like that huge tray down there. Works well for holding fast food or small shopping bags on the way home. ;-)
And for my wife, it is perfect for her purse when she drives.. ;-)

I have a couple of minor nits, but nothing major either.
I wish that I could use the favorites buttons (maybe both at the same time or ?) could select another source, like Bluetooth. Yes, I can use the touch screen or I can use the menus on the main (not infotainment) panel and the buttons on the steering wheel to do that, but it would be much easier to do that with the favorite buttons. Maybe allow me to set a favorite to Bluetooth (and/or some other input)?

I would LOVE to have the temperature be able to be shown on the main panel. When I am in Android Auto, I can't see it.
Yes, Android Auto added it's own temp display, but that is the "googled" temperature for the "area" and not the cars outside temp. That sensor could be pretty far away. The difference between 38 and 30 can be a big deal when driving.

I also wish (I understand this is changed for the newer Bolts?) that preconditioning would heat the steering wheel.
I've seen people say there isn't any need for that, as it heats up so quickly, but I had that on my Leaf and really liked it. ;-)

Also, I wish I could set the default temp for preconditioning. That or pick a temp in the app.

I'm sure there are some other minor things, but... ;-)

Love this car! ;-)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Every car I have owned has had its pluses and minuses - previous one I had for 13 years, great car, huge minus was that it burned a lot of premium gas. I cringed every time I started it up. I no longer cringe :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Coming from a manual transmission, I'm used to shifting first and then disengaging the brake pedal. The reverse just seems like it's asking for trouble.

With respect to annoyances, the fact that there are no hard buttons to turn on/off the fan/heat is high up there for me. At least once every month the infotainment system crashes, must be rebooted, and the heat is turned on high until it finishes booting up.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
The seats are horrible. Only complaint I have.
I have a 2017 Bolt and the front seats certainly are not comfortable, I couldn't imagine sitting in one for a 3+hr drive. I start to feel uncomfortable and get fidgety after a half hour drive.

Supposedly, the 2020 Bolt seats are revised/better?

I'm at 3yrs next month with 45K mi on the Bolt... zero issues with propulsion, body, electrical, etc..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Didn't know about neutral on hills. Will have to try it. Are you going from D to N or...? I thought it always required the side button to be pressed.
Otherwise, I actually like and use that tray. I have 3 of those reusable shopping bags that store into their own pouch, a small folded towel and a couple other things I don't remember.
But my nits...
  • How far back the center console is. It's almost impossible to get things out of there while driving.
  • The head rests feel very cheap and too angled forward. With the seat upright, they push my head in uncomfortable positions.
  • Please Chevy, let me turn the radio OFF...
I was in full on reverse. Took my foot off brake to give a little accel. Seemed like just a touch, a rest for a weary hand? Anyway, it really scared me.

·
Registered
435 Posts
For OP - Re The second issue is minor. but that insane tray like object on the floor between the driver's feet and the passenger's feet. There is no way that that tray, on the floor, can be useful to an active driver.

I constructed a facial tissue holder to reside in the tray. This was made from a piece of stiff foam rubber and some carpet. Notice I did not cover the foam where it extends into the tray as this helps hold it in position. It is easy for the driver or passenger to reach a tissue from this device. In the space between and tissue holder and the center console I heep a microfiber cloth.
Holder on Bench.jpg
Holder Side View.jpg
Holder Top View.jpg

·
Registered
103 Posts
Passenger seat doesn't fold flat... That surprised me, I don't think I've seen a non folding passenger seat in a hatchback for like a decade or more. They def let the "new guy" design the seats. Big mistake. I also second the forward leaning headrests. Wouldn't mind a bit more bolstering for hard cornering without having to brace as hard. So yeah, the seats, although, I do find them acceptably comfortable (2018).

The left A pillar blocks too much. This might just be a "modern car" thing rather than a Bolt thing, but you really have to be careful, and I usually am esp on left turns to "clear" that area thoroughly and repeatedly. With deep regret I did hit and kill a cat awhile back, that darted left to right (my wife saw it in the passenger side). I didn't see it. Not saying I could have dodged it in another car, but it left me a bit shook not having seen it.

Otherwise I love the car but these are some things that I wish were better.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I agree with quiddity's points. I'd add that it is remarkably noisy for an electric vehicle, due to the hard-surfaces interior and aluminum doors.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I agree about the A pillars. The C pillars are worse though - unlike the A pillars you can't just shift your head to see around them. In my old car I can look over my shoulder and change lanes safely. In the Bolt that's completely impossible.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I found a woven rectangular basket that just fits the tray on the center floor. Easy to reach and to empty. Problem solved..

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Agree, outward visibility is really, really bad on most of today's cars. Those of us who grew up driving the unsafe '50s-'60s cars could at least see what was in front of us. The Bolt does seem especially bad in that respect. As a taller guy, I can't put the seat as high as I'd prefer, because that creates dangerous blind spots.

The console is too wide, making latching the driver's seat belt more difficult than is necessary. I'd do away with the center console entirely if it made the seat belt easier to fasten.

Given that the majority of the sensors are in place, there's no excuse for the Bolt not having follow-cruise.

Other than that, the Bolt is as perfect an urban errand runner as I've ever experienced.

jack vines

·
Registered
165 Posts
I don't own a Bolt (yet), but judging by the pictures posted here showing that "floor tray", it appears someone totally botched that center console design. Why didn't they just shift the whole console forward more to make the console meet the dash, leaving just a still-sizable storage "pocket" at the base ... like in my Gen-2 Equinox? Maybe they thought this design gave more space and flexibility to put something larger there ... which is true, but it came at the cost of shifting the console further toward the back - which probably made the compartment storage under the armrest smaller than it otherwise could've been ... which should've shot down the floor tray design.

Here's the 2016 Equinox center console. It should've looked like this, with possibly enough room inside the armrest storage compartment to hold a laptop computer! I'd rather have more concealed storage than out-in-the-open "storage". They could've always gotten clever with the center console cover and provided for it to be temporarily removed and replaced with a Container-like cover with four sides and open top to hold food items. That would be much more functional and finger-accessible than just throwing it on the floor where you'd have to lean into the steering wheel to reach it.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts