Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have exactly two critiques for my Bolt -
  • The horn has only two modes: off and blaring. For such a quiet car, it would be nice to have a beep option to alert a pedestrian. I'd rather roll down the window and say something than blare a horn.
  • The suspension in my 2017 is ridiculously responsive. I am very aware when I am driving on a bumpy road. My wife with the tea-stained blouses more than seconds this nomination.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
While I agree in principle, I rather enjoy having a unusual car. First one I've ever had in 40 or so year of car ownership.
Two stroke, three cylinder Saab, Sunbeam Tiger, MGA, Datsun 510s, Nissan Sentra E. Had friends with lots of exotic cars I got to check out. The Bolt is the best car I have ever seen, let alone owned.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I have exactly two critiques for my Bolt -
  • The horn has only two modes: off and blaring. For such a quiet car, it would be nice to have a beep option to alert a pedestrian. I'd rather roll down the window and say something than blare a horn.
  • The suspension in my 2017 is ridiculously responsive. I am very aware when I am driving on a bumpy road. My wife with the tea-stained blouses more than seconds this nomination.
Love the ride. Definitely agree on the horn. If there was one thing I would change it would be the horn. I have tried to give people a friendly toot, and ended up getting the finger!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
The horn has only two modes: off and blaring. For such a quiet car, it would be nice to have a beep option to alert a pedestrian. I'd rather roll down the window and say something than blare a horn.
Yeah, this is a pet peeve of mine too. I wonder if it would be possible to wire up a switch in parallel that would be easier to push for just a brief instant. Or maybe even a little homebrew circuit to fire out a one-shot pulse to a solid state relay to do the same thing...

·
Registered
353 Posts
The A-pillar blind spot is the biggest negative.

It would be nice if the HVAC controls were the old style three dial (one for temperature, one for vent selection, one for fan speed, plus buttons or switches for AC, heat, and recirculation) so that they can be easily adjusted without looking.

I don't mind the seats, but I can see how some other people may find them too narrow.

·
Registered
102 Posts
You should be able to set the cabin temperature from the app when preconditioning. That's it. That's the post.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I've had nits in every car I've ever owned and the Bolt is no exception. Mine are minor, but annoying to me:

• Center console will only open if you have it as far rearward as it'll go
  • Center console lid opens in the front
That last one is a big nit for me for a lot of cars. I don't understand why ANY manufacturer would make center consoles that open in the front and hinge back so that when it's open, the lid is literally in the back passenger area. It makes them nearly impossible to close without contorting. The best design is a latch in the front and the lid opens on the driver's side and swings toward the passenger seat with a twist of the wrist.

P.S. I love my 2019 Premier seats. Very comfortable at least for my body shape/size.

Mike

·
Registered
109 Posts
You should be able to set the cabin temperature from the app when preconditioning. That's it. That's the post.
Nearly all of my biggest complaints of the Bolt center from preconditioning and app vs. web access
Inability to reconfigure climate control modes for preconditioning (not just cabin temperature) - if it starts snowing while I'm at work, I want to trigger max defrost NOW, not after I actually hop in the vehicle
my.chevrolet.com is not at feature parity with the mobile app - this makes OnStar useless at me when at work, when getting service on my phone requires walking outside and waiting a minute or two (may as well just hop into the car) and personal devices are banned from the wifi network.
Everything I see indicates that when the Bolt is connected to a wifi network (such as at home in garage), it still uses cellular for all OnStar functionality. Not good when the cell coverage in my garage is incredibly weak/unreliable

Minor annoyance - I can't find any arrangement of seat + steering wheel that is comfortable AND allows me full view of the Android Auto display. The AA display is also a bit too far away from the seat to reach with my arm if I need to hit something. No "pause" button for music on the steering wheel I can find, just next/prev and volup/voldn.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Didn't know about neutral on hills. Will have to try it. Are you going from D to N or...? I thought it always required the side button to be pressed.
Otherwise, I actually like and use that tray. I have 3 of those reusable shopping bags that store into their own pouch, a small folded towel and a couple other things I don't remember.
But my nits...
  • How far back the center console is. It's almost impossible to get things out of there while driving.
  • The head rests feel very cheap and too angled forward. With the seat upright, they push my head in uncomfortable positions.
  • Please Chevy, let me turn the radio OFF...
I'm with you, Lightning. Is that so crazy to want to turn the radio off? And while they're at it, how about making the radio volume the same as the iPhone/car play?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I love my 2019 Bolt, as I loved my 2013 Volt for six years. However there are a few minor "nits" that can be considered safety issues. If you are parked on a hill and wish to back up, never never, never relax your hand and let it fall back onto the shift lever. You will immediately put your car in neutral and get a demonstration of how fast it can roll downhill! For an 84 year old gent, I don't need that kind of a thrill.
The second isue is minor. but that insane tray like object on the floor between the driver's feet and the passenger's feet. There is no way that that tray, on the floor, can be useful to an active driver.
Other than that, I love my Bolt and if Ilive long enough (remember, I'm 84 years old) I will buy another to replace it!
Here is a short video on YouTube that might help with the console/floor storage:

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you are parked on a hill and wish to back up, never never, never relax your hand and let it fall back onto the shift lever. You will immediately put your car in neutral and get a demonstration of how fast it can roll downhill!
If I am in R and I rest my hand on the shifter, it never changes to N. It sure is something else that happened.

The second isue is minor. but that insane tray like object on the floor between the driver's feet and the passenger's feet. There is no way that that tray, on the floor, can be useful to an active driver.
I am one of those who really like that "tray" like on the floor. I can throw in all the little things I buy and I have no container for them, even a bag of a takeout meal.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts