Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
The passenger seat caught me off guard big time... Why didn’t they design it to go flat!?

Also, why can’t I remove the head rests from the seats?

Passenger seat doesn't fold flat... That surprised me, I don't think I've seen a non folding passenger seat in a hatchback for like a decade or more.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The passenger seat caught me off guard big time... Why didn’t they design it to go flat!?
Huh! That is disappointing! I remember feeling the same disappointment when I folded down the back seats in my 2011 Equinox for the first time: the very rear cargo deck is flat, but then the back of the rear seats sits at almost a 45-degree angle from flat. You start putting something back there of any height and it hits the ceiling very quickly. Gotta be mindful of that!

What does it take to design "fold flat" seats ... just a different hinge that gets the seat back above the bottom cushion enough to completely fold 90 degrees? But then the "folded flat" surface (initially, at least) is probably higher than it would've been with a non-fold-flat seat ... or maybe they're reducing the padding on a "fold-flat" seatback to compensate?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Niggles aside the obvious seat problems:
1. In car WiFi service often very slow download speeds and often disconnects the device You're using.
2. The way the car "behaves" when left on is not what You would expect. Defaults to only 1 or 2 hours before the car shuts off. When it shuts off it seems to be automatically unlocking the doors even though key fob is NOT inside the car! This behavior is not what I would expect very irritating and frustrating.
3. Any backup AC power is not offered.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt
30 Posts
I really wish the shoulder belt was height adjustable. I know it's a first world problem, but it cuts into my neck. And I'm not going to monkey arounf by puttinh any accessory on my belt - I owe my life to a shoulder belt.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Front headrests can to, but it is a pain.
True, although I didn't find it too difficult. Unscrew the little plastic grommet, look under it, and push to the side on the little eyelet in the end of the c-clip that's inside while pulling up on the headrest. I removed both of mine to reduce the amount the headrests bend forward as they were pushing my head forward. Which brings me to a negative I forgot and another one I can't stand: when headrests lean too far forward and push your head forward, forcing you to recline the seat more than you normally would to keep it from rubbing the back of your head. I'm happy with mine after bending them back a bit: didn't take much and now they are just barely out of the way as they should be with my seat in a comfortable reclining position.

Mike

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
True, although I didn't find it too difficult. Unscrew the little plastic grommet, look under it, and push to the side on the little eyelet in the end of the c-clip that's inside while pulling up on the headrest. I removed both of mine to reduce the amount the headrests bend forward as they were pushing my head forward. Which brings me to a negative I forgot and another one I can't stand: when headrests lean too far forward and push your head forward, forcing you to recline the seat more than you normally would to keep it from rubbing the back of your head. I'm happy with mine after bending them back a bit: didn't take much and now they are just barely out of the way as they should be with my seat in a comfortable reclining position.

Mike
I have had mine off, just to see how it worked. I know there are folks who have a problem with the headrests. They say it is because they don't slouch. I have no reason to doubt them. I will say I have the best posture of anybody I known, but I have never had a problem with the headrests, so I think it is more complicated than that.

·
Registered
65 Posts

Mike
A testament to the variability of the human form. My Bolt is the first car I've owned with the headrests close enough to my head to actually protect my neck if I am ever rear ended. Fortunately that accident never occurred with my previous vehicles.

·
Registered
512 Posts
A testament to the variability of the human form. My Bolt is the first car I've owned with the headrests close enough to my head to actually protect my neck if I am ever rear ended. Fortunately that accident never occurred with my previous vehicles.
A good reason to allow the forward/back position to be adjustable. It's about form but it is probably even more about how far you prefer to recline the seatback. The way the headrest comes stock, you have to either be a sloucher or like to lie down while you drive. I've always been one to sit up straight as that's what I was taught in elementary school.

Mike

·
Registered
65 Posts
A good reason to allow the forward/back position to be adjustable. It's about form but it is probably even more about how far you prefer to recline the seatback. The way the headrest comes stock, you have to either be a sloucher or like to lie down while you drive. I've always been one to sit up straight as that's what I was taught in elementary school.

Mike
Fore/aft adjustment would be best, but I've never seen it. Maybe on some luxury brands? And I actually sit quite upright, so there again, everyone is different.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Fore/aft adjustment would be best, but I've never seen it. Maybe on some luxury brands? And I actually sit quite upright, so there again, everyone is different.
My parents' Forester has forward/back tilt available for the front headrests. I think it has up/down too, my memory is fuzzy at this point. So it's available in non-luxury brands.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 2017 Bolt and the front seats certainly are not comfortable, I couldn't imagine sitting in one for a 3+hr drive. I start to feel uncomfortable and get fidgety after a half hour drive.

Supposedly, the 2020 Bolt seats are revised/better?

I'm at 3yrs next month with 45K mi on the Bolt... zero issues with propulsion, body, electrical, etc..
I wonder if there are seat cushions that someone has made to improve the Bolt's seats.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Perception is everything; what is negative to one is a non-issue to others. We use our Bolt only for local errands, so range is moot. In below freezing winters, full use of HVAC, seat and steering wheel heaters, hilltop charging, our GOM is 150 - 160.

We have an acquaintance with a Bolt who is completely non-technical, non-rational and the GOM is making him so nuts, he's going to trade the Bolt "and go with some car company which doesn't lie to me." I've explained range variables to him several times to no avail. All he knows is when he gets in his Bolt and doesn't see 238 miles of estimated winter range, the car is a failure.

jack vines

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Sounds like this guy.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Perception is everything; what is negative to one is a non-issue to others. We use our Bolt only for local errands, so range is moot. In below freezing winters, full use of HVAC, seat and steering wheel heaters, hilltop charging, our GOM is 150 - 160.

We have an acquaintance with a Bolt who is completely non-technical, non-rational and the GOM is making him so nuts, he's going to trade the Bolt "and go with some car company which doesn't lie to me." I've explained range variables to him several times to no avail. All he knows is when he gets in his Bolt and doesn't see 238 miles of estimated winter range, the car is a failure.

jack vines
There really should be something like a GOM in ICE vehicle too. My Volt has it and I find it handy/reassuring. That range estimate is no different at all from the MPG estimate for ICEs. Ask you friend if insists on the EPA MPG for his ICE cars.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts