Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 2019 Bolt for 1 year. It has always charged to ~ 230 miles. I recently took it to the closest local Chevy dealership for the 1 year "check up". Several things made it clear that this dealership was clueless about EVs, including the fact that the paperwork for the check up listed an "oil and filter maintenance" (in addition to a FVI Multipoint vehicle inspection"). After this event, the Bolt will not charge past 174 miles in range. I have looked at the charging screens and it shows 174 miles as a full charge. I have an appointment to take it back to this dealer but my expectations are low. Any ideas?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Re the oil and filter maintenance listed, my dealer did the same thing. They told me this was the way they got paid for the "free check up." I guess GM does not have a code to use with the EV.

Re the change in distance, wait a few weeks and I think you will be back to where you were before. The distance seems to be based on your recent driving conditions. For example the dealer may have had the AC or heater running without driving, this would cause the GOM to think it takes more Kwh per mile than before. I also don't see a location for you. If you weather has abruptly changed, this will also affect the range, i.e. a cold snap that lowers the temperature where you are charging will do this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re the oil and filter maintenance listed, my dealer did the same thing. They told me this was the way they got paid for the "free check up." I guess GM does not have a code to use with the EV.

Re the change in distance, wait a few weeks and I think you will be back to where you were before. The distance seems to be based on your recent driving conditions. For example the dealer may have had the AC or heater running without driving, this would cause the GOM to think it takes more Kwh per mile than before. I also don't see a location for you. If you weather has abruptly changed, this will also affect the range, i.e. a cold snap that lowers the temperature where you are charging will do this.
Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Please keep us posted. Something seems seriously wrong as you've owned it for a year. Did they software limit the range on purpose?

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier
864 Posts
Please keep us posted. Something seems seriously wrong as you've owned it for a year. Did they software limit the range on purpose?
I thought it was discussed before that this doesn't happen with Bolts. However, it is possible that some sort of "software reset" was done during the check-up. If this took place, it can clear the car's previous driving pattern data, making it look like the car has lost range if you were driving more efficient than the factory default. Back when the 2017 and 2018 Bolts received a battery management software update, this happened and some complaints cropped up in the forum.

The way to get back to the usual level is to keep driving as usual so that the car re-learns your patterns. If there's no battery degradation issues, then things should go back to normal in a couple of weeks with moderate levels of driving. I should note that if the upcoming days are getting colder due to the seasonal changes, then the range may be naturally lower and may not be a sign that something is wrong. The car needs more energy to move around in a colder weather due to denser air, the battery's capacity and efficiency goes down with low temperatures, and the use of heater leads to elevated levels of power consumption, which impacts range significantly.

·
Registered
387 Posts
It's unlikely the dealer did anything other than a possible reset. I've learned to live with (give up on?) the unpredictable guess-o-meter, which for me has ranged from 170 to 280 miles after a charge. What counts is the mi/kWh -- the actual distance traveled vs. the kWh consumed -- which can be viewed on the screen. But I mostly rely on the green bars to the left of the speedometer that indicate charge remaining.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought it was discussed before that this doesn't happen with Bolts. However, it is possible that some sort of "software reset" was done during the check-up. If this took place, it can clear the car's previous driving pattern data, making it look like the car has lost range if you were driving more efficient than the factory default. Back when the 2017 and 2018 Bolts received a battery management software update, this happened and some complaints cropped up in the forum.

The way to get back to the usual level is to keep driving as usual so that the car re-learns your patterns. If there's no battery degradation issues, then things should go back to normal in a couple of weeks with moderate levels of driving. I should note that if the upcoming days are getting colder due to the seasonal changes, then the range may be naturally lower and may not be a sign that something is wrong. The car needs more energy to move around in a colder weather due to denser air, the battery's capacity and efficiency goes down with low temperatures, and the use of heater leads to elevated levels of power consumption, which impacts range significantly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your reply. I have no choice but to wait and see as I have to wait until 12/2 for another appt with the dealer. This is my second winter with the car and this did not happen last year. I live in the South and the weather is generally not extremely cold.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have had my 2019 Bolt for 1 year. It has always charged to ~ 230 miles. I recently took it to the closest local Chevy dealership for the 1 year "check up". Several things made it clear that this dealership was clueless about EVs, including the fact that the paperwork for the check up listed an "oil and filter maintenance" (in addition to a FVI Multipoint vehicle inspection"). After this event, the Bolt will not charge past 174 miles in range. I have looked at the charging screens and it shows 174 miles as a full charge. I have an appointment to take it back to this dealer but my expectations are low. Any ideas?
Your full charge mileage depends on the climate (summer or winter) , your driving conditions (suburbs or highway), and the use of heater/ac. It can vary by 20%. Mine started out at 320 in July-August, and is now around 270 in colder weather. It will also go down by 30 miles or so if you use the heater/ac or drive on the highway for awhile. You get off the highway or turn of the heater/ac, the mileage goes right back up after a bit. It reflects your last driving situation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Your full charge mileage depends on the climate (summer or winter) , your driving conditions (suburbs or highway), and the use of heater/ac. It can vary by 20%. Mine started out at 320 in July-August, and is now around 270 in colder weather. It will also go down by 30 miles or so if you use the heater/ac or drive on the highway for awhile. You get off the highway or turn of the heater/ac, the mileage goes right back up after a bit. It reflects your last driving situation.
Thanks for your reply Boltsport. This is my second cold season with my Bolt and this did not happen last year. It actually was warm when the change in range occurred. I really think the dealer did something to lower the range inadvertantly. I have an appt with them for a relook.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It is likely still charging to 60KW but your 'average miles/kwh' are now lower due to colder temperature. Perhaps you are running the heater and fan more. you might also be driving faster or other things that impact your efficiency.

clear your efficiency screen and drive a bit and you will see your average. multiply by 60 and see what you get.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It is likely still charging to 60KW but your 'average miles/kwh' are now lower due to colder temperature. Perhaps you are running the heater and fan more. you might also be driving faster or other things that impact your efficiency.

clear your efficiency screen and drive a bit and you will see your average. multiply by 60 and see what you get.
Thanks for your reply. This is my second winter with the Bolt and this problem did not occur last year. The problem first arose while the weather was still warm in N.C (in the 60's). The problem is not the range I get with driving, but the fact that the car will not charge past an average predicted range of ~ 175 miles. It used to charge to an average predicted range of 220-230. Any ideas?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Thanks for your reply. The problem is not that the driving range has dropped but the the car charges to only an average range of 175 miles and stops charging. It used to charge to an average range of 220-230 miles. Any ideas?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's unlikely the dealer did anything other than a possible reset. I've learned to live with (give up on?) the unpredictable guess-o-meter, which for me has ranged from 170 to 280 miles after a charge. What counts is the mi/kWh -- the actual distance traveled vs. the kWh consumed -- which can be viewed on the screen. But I mostly rely on the green bars to the left of the speedometer that indicate charge remaining.
Thanks for your reply. It seems my question was not worded clearly. The problem is that the car now charges only to an average range of ~175 miles and stops charging. It used to charge to an average range of 220-230 miles. Any ideas?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts