Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bolt doesn't reset the screen with the energy used, distance traveled since last full charge. I tried to reset the system using the home button and forward button combination. That did not work. I have the latest firmware. This was working until recently.

Anyone else see this?

Baron

·
Registered
139 Posts
My bolt doesn't reset the screen with the energy used, distance traveled since last full charge. I tried to reset the system using the home button and forward button combination. That did not work. I have the latest firmware. This was working until recently.

Anyone else see this?

Baron
There's some time when the battery says its charge is "Full" but it continues to draw power I assume for conditioning etc. If I unplug during this time, even though the battery reports as full in the car and in the app, the settings do not reset. I have to leave it until the conditioning is completely done for it to reset.

Could this explain what you're seeing?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have it set to charge by 6:30 am. The power company shuts off the power at 7 so you maybe right. I will set it to charge immediately tonight so that it has plenty of time to charge.

As a note I use hill top and it would reset the stats with that too. Not anymore.

However, I thought the 8 inch screen said fully charged the other day. I will take some pictures.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV Ioniq 5 reservation
1,715 Posts
I have noticed this also. Still trying different combos of "charge ending". Does anyone charge to "complete" with their 240 volt EVSE, then switch to the 110 volt supplied cord to "nudge a few more electrons" into the batteries? Does it work? Maybe when 240v says "complete" it does not mean "full"...

·
Registered
571 Posts
Happened to me using a free Level 2 charger at the AMC in Emeryville last week. At home, where I charge it to hill top mode, it always gets it right. Maybe at Emerville the conditioning wasn't completed.

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier
969 Posts
I'll add some observations to this old thread. It seems relevant, and thus did not warrant a new one.

- Bolt will say that the charge is full if the displayed battery level hits 100%. This would be the case if the SoC value is at or above 95.29%.

- Charging will continue even if the displayed level is at 100%. SoC value will continue to rise, to somewhere between 96 and 97%, until the vehicle terminates the session on its own and resets the "Since Last Full Charge" statistics. I have observed values of 96.08%, 96.47%, and 96.86% on different occasions when this happened.

- If the charging session is terminated by the charger or the user, then the statistics will not reset even if the SoC value is at or above 95.29% (i.e. displayed battery value is 100%). I've manually terminated the session at 96.47% SoC and yet the statistics did not reset.

- Given the fact that the statistics will reset even when the hilltop reserve is enabled, the resetting occurs as a part of the routine where the vehicle terminates the charging session on its own after deciding that it does not need to charge further. The level of charge by itself has no effect.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I'll add some observations to this old thread. It seems relevant, and thus did not warrant a new one.

- Given the fact that the statistics will reset even when the hilltop reserve is enabled, the resetting occurs as a part of the routine where the vehicle terminates the charging session on its own after deciding that it does not need to charge further. The level of charge by itself has no effect.
"the vehicle terminates the charging session" - I believe this is the key to the reset. I charge to 90% (2019 Bolt) and it always show charging complete and resets the display.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My new 2020 model did reset for 2 weeks. After using a public DC charger, it doesn't reset anymore. My setting is: charge 100%. It show 100% charged, range 241 instead of 259 miles. Is there a reset button sequence to reset the estimator?

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Is there a reset button sequence to reset the estimator?
No. You must let it finish charging at 100%. Not when it reads 100%, but when the car decides it at 100%. Mine will do some temperature conditioning and such for at least 10 minutes before it declares that it's 100%. But you can also change your charge target level and it will reset at that target too. Best of luck, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I bought the Bolt I was aware of the fact that it has an estimator. But where I live I can go in 4 directions out of town. One is a steep grade, one a medium but long grade and two through the desert on almost level roads. So why would I want my estimate from yesterdays mountain drive reflect on my estimate for todays level drive? So for me a reset would make a lot of sense. The system should support the driver and no make him the calculator. Back to my question to knowledgeable people: is there a way to reset the system? Please no more lectures without essence!!

·
Registered
2021 Nightfall Gray Metallic Bolt Premier
630 Posts
You can always disconnect the 12v battery and see how that affects what you're looking for.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
When I bought the Bolt I was aware of the fact that it has an estimator. But where I live I can go in 4 directions out of town. One is a steep grade, one a medium but long grade and two through the desert on almost level roads. So why would I want my estimate from yesterdays mountain drive reflect on my estimate for todays level drive? So for me a reset would make a lot of sense. The system should support the driver and no make him the calculator. Back to my question to knowledgeable people: is there a way to reset the system? Please no more lectures without essence!!
No. There is no way to get the system to do what you want. It predicts future performance based on past driving history. It cannot know if you are taking a low speed level drive or a high speed mountain drive. It will always be inaccurate.

ga2500ev

·
Administrator
2,834 Posts
Back to my question to knowledgeable people: is there a way to reset the system?
No. There is no way for a user to reset the historic efficiency data.

You can (obviously) reset the trip meter, but that has no impact on the Infotainment Energy Summary, nor on the estimated range (GOM). I am unaware of any way to clear historical data from the system, though it might be possible with tools the service techs have access to? I recall after the 2017-2018 battery recall recalibration in 2018, the GOM went nuts and took a day or two to settle down. This was likely due to historical data being purged and having to re-learn data.

The kWh used, and miles driven (displayed in the Infotainment Energy Screen) is supposed to reset when you hit either the target charge level (or Hilltop Reserve on older models), or when you finish charging.

The GOM never resets, rather it is a running estimate based on charge level and recent driving efficiency. It decreases as kWh are used (driving), and increases as kWh are added (charging or regen). It also considers current and recent driving efficiency. As you are driving, it may actually go up if your conditions are favorable. But it has no way of estimating future efficiency so it relies on historical data. Some EVs may take a different approach, using EPA rated efficiency as a constant then adjusting for efficiency in real time (I think this is how Leaf and Tesla do it). Bolt doesn't, it is what it is, a quirk if you will.

If your previous day(s) were less efficient, the GOM tends to reflect a lower estimated range following charging. If your previous day(s) were more efficient, it tends to reflect a more optimistic range estimate. The only time you would tend to see the "advertised range" (238 on older models, or 259 on newer) would be if your driving efficiency were consistently around 4 mi/kWh and you charge to 100%, or something similar if you charge to less than 100% and have consistently higher mi/kWh efficiency.

I sense some frustration in your post, but understand those of us with years of experience are equally frustrated by repeated questions on the topic. It is less than intuitive, but something you learn over time. Regardless, it is just an estimate, it has no real bearing on things until you start getting low on charge and need to choose where to stop for a boost.

Meanwhile, enjoy your Bolt, quirks and all. And welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No. There is no way for a user to reset the historic efficiency data.

You can (obviously) reset the trip meter, but that has no impact on the Infotainment Energy Summary, nor on the estimated range (GOM). I am unaware of any way to clear historical data from the system, though it might be possible with tools the service techs have access to? I recall after the 2017-2018 battery recall recalibration in 2018, the GOM went nuts and took a day or two to settle down. This was likely due to historical data being purged and having to re-learn data.

The kWh used, and miles driven (displayed in the Infotainment Energy Screen) is supposed to reset when you hit either the target charge level (or Hilltop Reserve on older models), or when you finish charging.

The GOM never resets, rather it is a running estimate based on charge level and recent driving efficiency. It decreases as kWh are used (driving), and increases as kWh are added (charging or regen). It also considers current and recent driving efficiency. As you are driving, it may actually go up if your conditions are favorable. But it has no way of estimating future efficiency so it relies on historical data. Some EVs may take a different approach, using EPA rated efficiency as a constant then adjusting for efficiency in real time (I think this is how Leaf and Tesla do it). Bolt doesn't, it is what it is, a quirk if you will.

If your previous day(s) were less efficient, the GOM tends to reflect a lower estimated range following charging. If your previous day(s) were more efficient, it tends to reflect a more optimistic range estimate. The only time you would tend to see the "advertised range" (238 on older models, or 259 on newer) would be if your driving efficiency were consistently around 4 mi/kWh and you charge to 100%, or something similar if you charge to less than 100% and have consistently higher mi/kWh efficiency.

I sense some frustration in your post, but understand those of us with years of experience are equally frustrated by repeated questions on the topic. It is less than intuitive, but something you learn over time. Regardless, it is just an estimate, it has no real bearing on things until you start getting low on charge and need to choose where to stop for a boost.

Meanwhile, enjoy your Bolt, quirks and all. And welcome to the forum.
To have an option do do what you like would be nice.

·
Registered
606 Posts
If all you care about is the car telling you whatever number you think it should be telling you then you can just put a piece of electrical tape over the estimate and write in whatever number you want.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No. You must let it finish charging at 100%. Not when it reads 100%, but when the car decides it at 100%. Mine will do some temperature conditioning and such for at least 10 minutes before it declares that it's 100%. But you can also change your charge target level and it will reset at that target too. Best of luck, welcome to the forum.
Changing the charge target level worked for me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts