Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, ............. my first post here. I just noticed today that when I was putting the car in the garage in L mode that it kept creeping when I let off the pedal. Normally it would not move once you came to a complete stop, for example at a red light, it would stay still. Could this be an issue? Just wondering.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Hello all, ............. my first post here. I just noticed today that when I was putting the car in the garage in L mode that it kept creeping when I let off the pedal. Normally it would not move once you came to a complete stop, for example at a red light, it would stay still. Could this be an issue? Just wondering.

Thanks
Was your seat belt unbuckled by chance? If your seat belt isn't fastened, the Bolt will "creep" even in L. It's a programmed safety feature.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, .... that must be it, I have a habit of unbuckling my belt as I come up the driveway. Good feeling knowing nothing serious going on.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Yup. Had this happen when I was proudly demonstrating our Bolt to some friends. We went out in the garage, and I hopped in, made a joke about revving it up in Park, and then popped it into L, and scared myself. Had to hit the brake, and blurted out an expletive. That, and the story of having to park on the sidewalk in a rainstorm to get a charge, was enough to make them say, "Thank God for gasoline! We'd never buy an electric car." Of course, most folks are looking for any excuse to not consider an EV, so they were greatly relieved.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Yesterday, while driving in L, I came up to a lineup of cars at a stoplight. It is a very slight downhill portion of the road to the light. My Bolt didn’t stop completely, so I pressed the brake pedal and came to a complete stop. Usually, after doing that, it will remain motionless even though I remove my foot from the brake. It started to creep (<1 mph, speedometer said “0”) and I again applied the brake. Tried once more, but that <1 mph creep began again. The downward slope was very gradual. I post this to remind drivers new to “L” driving, that it only stops you completely when the road is level or uphill. AND that a speedometer indication of zero does not mean that you are not moving.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Usually when it starts to creep it will set the parking brake temporarily after a few seconds.

I'm used to it, but the wife was startled when she didn't realize it, went to take off at the light, and it kinda squatted before it took off.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
kinda squatted before it took off.
very familiar with the car squatting like that when driving a manual on a hill where you have to set the parking brake to keep it from rolling backwards instead of burning up the clutch. you hold the parking brake, give it gas as you let the clutch out the car starts to squat right before you release the parking brake.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I don't have this problem at all. its all a matter of modulating the accelerator pedal as you come to a stop. However, I always rather quickly move into park and put the parking break on when I come to a stop. In a garage, in CT the code is that the floor should slope towards the garage doors, to spill out gasoline fume, so even more so my car does not roll forward as I park it, nor does it roll backwards. I would suggest careful modulation of the pedal as you move in. If you drive in quickly and expect to come to a sudden and stable stop, its not going to happen unless you pull on the steering wheel regen control. My impression is that the act of coming to a stop is calibrated in the Bolt for gradual stops not sudden stops. If you come to a sudden stop you will drift a bit unless you hit the paddle or the friction brakes.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Usually when it starts to creep it will set the parking brake temporarily after a few seconds.

I'm used to it, but the wife was startled when she didn't realize it, went to take off at the light, and it kinda squatted before it took off.
That the car will automatically release the parking break when you start up again is somewhat magical.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Yesterday, while driving in L, I came up to a lineup of cars at a stoplight. It is a very slight downhill portion of the road to the light. My Bolt didn’t stop completely, so I pressed the brake pedal and came to a complete stop.
I have found that if I anticipate my stops carefully, and only gradually slow down I don't have this drifting problem on hills so often. It requires careful attention to modulation of the accelerator pedal. Very steep hills still occasionally catch me out though.

·
Registered
989 Posts
If you creep on a downhill the Bolt can and will set the parking brake automagically.
I have a few lights that are downhill slopes and the Bolt creeps. I always stop early
in traffic and the car only moves a little before the parking brake triggers, as long
as you let it creep without applying the foot brake. It takes a little getting use to at first.

It works every time and has become second nature along with one pedal driving. YMMV!

·
Registered
989 Posts
and yet it won't set the parking brake automatically when you shift into park... annoying.
When you park and stop. Unbuckle your seat belt. It will set the park brake and you just
need to push the shifter button to put the car in park and shut it off >:)

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
When you park and stop. Unbuckle your seat belt. It will set the park brake and you just
need to push the shifter button to put the car in park and shut it off >:)
I've probably got into a bad habit to just turn the car off without bothering with putting into park. Car takes care of itself.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
IDK if it will set the park brake ?
I believe it will if it's on an incline. Ask the guy who dragged the wheels with his motor home because the incline from the wheel dolly caused the parking brake to activate. Manual says to disconnect the 12V battery negative cable to prevent the car from setting the parking brake when being towed.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I believe it will if it's on an incline. Ask the guy who dragged the wheels with his motor home because the incline from the wheel dolly caused the parking brake to activate. Manual says to disconnect the 12V battery negative cable to prevent the car from setting the parking brake when being towed.
Yeah, but that's with key on/run mode. If parking and just turning the key off,
I doubt it will work the same way.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Yeah, but that's with key on/run mode. If parking and just turning the key off,
I doubt it will work the same way.
Looks like you can set the parking brake after turning off the vehicle. p. 211 of the manual: "The vehicle has an Electric Parking Brake (EPB). The EPB can always be activated, even if the vehicle is off."

·
Registered
989 Posts
Looks like you can set the parking brake after turning off the vehicle. p. 211 of the manual: "The vehicle has an Electric Parking Brake (EPB). The EPB can always be activated, even if the vehicle is off."
That's why the towing information I posted talks about waking the system up by
opening a door or with FOB activation. If you open the door it will allow park brake
activation, but if you could access the car without waking it up. The park brake would not.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts