Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I expressed an interest in the sunshade my salesman just ordered it. So I took a look, unsure if I really wanted it but in the end went home with it. More expensive than 3rd party, but it looks better than any 3rd party I've seen with the logo and subtle grey color. It has a shimmer and seems to have a higher reflectance than you would think, even though it's darker than the typical 'aluminum foil' types. There's some kind of stiff board inside the pleats, it's got a good heft and thickness too it, and it comes in a nice draw tie bag again with the logo and folds to a small size, since it's made up of about 5" sections that accordion up to a rectangular box size.

The parts guy said he was impressed with the quality (was probably just trying to get me to take it) and said the black border was designed to take the heat from the front and radiate it into the car, where the cracked windows would then vent out. While it's sound physics, in practice ideas like this often don't pan out. However in testing it, yes indeed the edges felt warmer (I should put my thermocouple on it) than the rest of the fabric. So the design of this one is not to be a bright mirror type like many others, but to combine reflectance with a muted grey pattern, then to radiate the absorbed heat along the edged into the car to be presumably vented out a cracked window.

Potential downside is it also covers the charge indicator, as I discovered with it on while I got a charge. On the other hand it prevents the charge light from sitting in the sun. At any rate simply peeking in the drivers side window tells you the charging state easily enough.

I'm impressed, glad I didn't buy a third party. They work well and are cheaper, but they honestly aren't easy on the eyes. The rest of the windows are mostly vertical and don't need anything, and this is an excellent accessory in my opinion, if you like some style with your Bolt.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Many owners here on the Forum have invested in tinting. It's not too costly ($175-$250). If you felt that the windshield shade was helpful enough, this may be a consideration for you. I am garage-parked at home and at work, so feel little need to tint. If I am being range conscious, I put on A/C while still plugged, then put it on minimal once I unplug and continue my journey.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many owners here on the Forum have invested in tinting.
I prefer to stay OEM as much as I can*. Probably comes from being an engineer; many automotive engineers spent their lives making millions of decisions for these cars, I'll go with what they think :nerd:

Small example, I noticed somebody swapped out some cabin lights with LED's. Turns out a buddy of mine from grad school ended up as the head of lighting for GM. They have a whole department devoted to this, they go to conferences, its a lifetime of engineering, I like to honor that (not knocking modding btw)

I am garage-parked at home and at work, so feel little need to tint.
Tinting should cut down on the light reaching the dash, but I believe the mechanism is by absorption. Recalling my undergrad optics here, the glass already has thin films for attenuating UV, but those coatings don't work well for wideband spectrum. Hence, tinting, which simply absorbs the visible spectrum into the windshield. Anyhow my point is that I'd expect a reflector to do a better job of keeping the car cool since it reflects the light back, and you have a nice clear view when driving (I'm not a fan of tinting in general).

* The exceptions are obvious engineering goofs - like the the dead pedal footrest. I ordered the 3D printed version from a forum member. I barely consider this a mod since it's removable.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I really wonder how well windshield reflectors actually work. Has anyone tried a study, with and without? I'm under the impression that once the light enters the cabin, it's there to stay - the reflector isn't mounted on the OUTside of the vehicle, so the light actually still gets reflected back inside. I'm not a physicist, but I have a basic understanding - seems to me that there would be some wavelengths of light (like the visible spectrum) that get bounced "out" of the car, but wouldn't some remain inside, like the IR or the UV? Isn't that just how the greenhouse effect works?

·
Registered
195 Posts
:)Plenty of smart people designing consumer items. You must admit that many decisions are driven by cost. Many aftermarket mods are much better than factory. One example, I replaced my Bolt interior lights, pale yellow, with $4.50 each LEDs. Bright, white lights, superior and beautiful. The engineer probably said LEDs, management vetoed and said inexpensive, well known as cheap.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I replaced my Bolt interior lights, pale yellow, with $4.50 each LEDs. Bright, white lights, superior and beautiful. The engineer probably said LEDs, management vetoed and said inexpensive, well known as cheap.
Actually I think it's simpler than that, the cost difference is probably negligible, the real reason was more likely aesthetics. Bare LED's are, as you say, bright and white, harsh to my eyes. The better LED bulbs (Philips) put them inside a coated larger bulb, much like fluorescents, which then absorb the narrowband from the LED and reradiate a more natural wideband. Filament bulbs are naturally more wideband (being a poor blackbody) which appears yellowish, like the sun (a better blackbody)

No disrespect to anyone, but here again we see engineering decisions making choices for a specific reason (which you may not prefer), personally I like the softer interior lights.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
tinting helps when the sun hits the side of your car, but when it's parked for a few hours in the summer the interior gets pretty hot and those sun shades help even if it's the cheap dollar store ones.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tinting helps when the sun hits the side of your car, but when it's parked for a few hours in the summer the interior gets pretty hot and those sun shades help even if it's the cheap dollar store ones.
Anybody have thoughts on the value of side window/back window shades?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts