Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems with everyone that was thinking the bolt won't sell and others saying give it a chance comes down to GM and LG hiting their estimates.
They estimated 20-30k and now after 9 months we are at 12k. They will be right on low number if sales stay the same he next 4 months. If they increase (like they have been doing) they will hit the mid mark.
I guess after are the amateurs (all of us) are done talking the people that are actually in the business are fairly competent. This time.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Yeah. It is entertaining to read what we EV nerds write. Every time a new one comes out, THIS is the one that will start the EV wave. When it doesn't happen, everybody piles on with reasons why this wasn't the one. But we never lose faith that there IS one that will make John and Jane Consumer say, "What were we thinking? EVs are what has been missing from my empty life!" :)

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Now that you can actually purchase a Bolt in all 50 states that should increase sales above the previous levels.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Two years from now, we will have a much more realistic picture of demand for EVs. I hope it is at least a quarter of what many of us imagine.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I am guessing GM aren't selling too many Bolts abroad, although I think in Europe there would be A LOT of interest.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Absolutely. The charitable answer would be that they are probably being very conservative with the rollout overseas, to work out any bugs nearer to home first.. Of course, the cynics always say GM is trying to kill the electric car.

·
Registered
233 Posts
They don't seem to interested in selling in Canada either. While there is the border to contend with (which isn't a particularly difficult obstacle for automakers), the Toronto area is physically closer to the factory than most of the US markets, and has very good potential for customers with the highest EV incentive in the country (Ontario's govt has a $14000 for a full BEV like the Bolt) and a large population. But, an 8 month wait for delivery is common for allotments that are quite small compared to what's seen in the US (a "big" 2017 total allotment for a dealer seems to be somewhere under 10 Bolts). GM does not seem interested in selling these cars in Canada.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The Bolt is now available in all states, the result of having to train all those mechanics in the ways of electric vehicles. Or, rather the relatively few ways in which they differ from gas powered cars, which are, except for the drivetrain, mostly electric anyway. BMW has actually set up their production lines so they can produce their models as ether hybrid, electric or gas powered, all at the same time. At any rate, it obviously didn't make sense to advertise a vehicle in an areas where you couldn't buy one. And the market for electric cars is not, at this point, very big. Tesla may have 400,000 on their Model 3 waiting list, but where is the next 400,000 coming from? We sell something like 17 million vehicles every year in this country.
Tesla is estimating 200,000 cars per year , a little over 1 percent. Estimating car sales is
nothing more than a educated guess. But that is the way you allocate manufacturing resources. GM's car has received good press but you can't count on that in this largely uncharted territory. Too many consumer unknowns to hope for much in the way of accuracy. So you don't go hog wild. You watch the market an make any adjustments
as needed. Some jerk the other day claimed that GM was building few Bolts, for some conspiratorial reason. Unfortunately, she had no answer when asked where are all those supposed customers, people clamoring for a Bolt, but unable to find one for sale.
GM actually has already modified their tactics by reconfiguring the assembly line shared by the Bolt and the Sonic, so that they could build more Bolts. They also announced the
next variant - a Buick Enclave type electric vehicle - due out next year.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Some jerk the other day claimed that GM was building few Bolts, for some conspiratorial reason. Unfortunately, she had no answer when asked where are all those supposed customers, people clamoring for a Bolt, but unable to find one for sale.
You need look no further than Canada. Bolts have been "on sale" here since the start of the year, but I've never seen one in a showroom. The only way to buy one here is to order sight unseen and wait for six months - not exactly a great way to maximize sales...

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
I understand people's frustration with the slow rollout. However, GM is damned if they do, and damned if they don't. There have been a few bugs with production/assembly so far.

"Bolt still in shop September 22
After reassembly with the new drive
Seems the drive is not being recognized or some other communication error is stopping the car from going into drive

Still driving my Honda insight
I have owned the car for 39 days, purchased Aug14
28 days of fun
I found the drive leak, brought in the car
GM wanted to swap the drive to get the old one back for inspection
11 days of frustration, and anxiety and now a new problem that they so far have not been able to resolve.

When will they just swap my car with a new one ?"

http://99mpg.com/blog/finally-i-have-an-electric-car-chevy-bolt/

Imagine if they had tried to deliver 20K a month, as Musk plans to do by year end.

·
Registered
17 Posts
They don't seem to interested in selling in Canada either. While there is the border to contend with (which isn't a particularly difficult obstacle for automakers), the Toronto area is physically closer to the factory than most of the US markets, and has very good potential for customers with the highest EV incentive in the country (Ontario's govt has a $14000 for a full BEV like the Bolt) and a large population. But, an 8 month wait for delivery is common for allotments that are quite small compared to what's seen in the US (a "big" 2017 total allotment for a dealer seems to be somewhere under 10 Bolts). GM does not seem interested in selling these cars in Canada.
You need look no further than Canada. Bolts have been "on sale" here since the start of the year, but I've never seen one in a showroom. The only way to buy one here is to order sight unseen and wait for six months - not exactly a great way to maximize sales...

I have personal experience with ordering a Bolt. At the Toronto Auto show i was able to find a dealer that still had one Bolt allotment left for the year. I went in and ordered it on February 28, 2017 and was told the vehicle should be here by June 2017. June came and no Bolt in sight, was told by dealer that we might not get a 2017 bolt but might have to wait for a 2018. In August got a call from the dealer to confirm the order for build. GM was getting my order ready to build by September. Asked dealer to call and give me the Vin # when he got final confirmation of the Build. No word as of yet.

I don't think the problem is lack of customers, in my area anyways, its lack of product. We don't really know what the hold up is but GM may not be getting enough battery supply from LG or they do not put high priority on the Bolt because of possible low profit margins.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts