Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Bolt (and two other cars) are on the cover of Car and Driver for September.

There's an article ("Nuts About Bolt") with pictures. Little new in terms of concrete information, but it gives driving impressions. Here are a few quotes.

Jab the accelerator and the Bolt makes good on its name...the seats of our pants suggest than seven seconds is conservative. Right pedal down, this front-drive hatchback tears out of the hole and scratches for traction in bends....
...the Bolt's every motion is well managed when you toss it around. Without imposing harshness, the ride is firm to help keep body roll in check....
...steering is slack-free on-center, quick to respond, and nicely weighted.
Frankly, we see little crossover vehicle in the Bolt's genes.
Yardsticks aside, the Bolt feels roomy, able to swallow everything short of four-by-eight building materials. Entering the front seat is a horizontal slide, with little up or down translation necessary. The rear bench is chair high with ample footroom....While there are three belts in back, there's only enough witdth to carry that many kids. Two adults fit nicely with the center armrest deployed.
Curb weight is 3600 lbs with 56/44 front/rear.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The most disappointing line from the article is this: "According to Tavel, the 200-hp motor's output had to be trimmed at times to diminish torque steer. While passing a tractor-trailer outside GM's Milford proving grounds, we feel exactly what he's talking about. Those who summon all the loose electrons for acceleration will need more than a couple of pinkies on the steering wheel."

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Quote:
...steering is slack-free on-center, quick to respond, and nicely weighted.

This is a big thing for me, I like to have a nice weighted steering feel. Hate when the steering is too light

·
Registered
730 Posts
Publications like this are becoming less and less helpful. Just looking up feedback you can find online will give you a better baseline of knowledge to work off of than this, it's even more powerful when its information coming from someone with a long history of testing these vehicles or even an owner.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Those are definitely more helpful because they're more experienced in what people want to hear. I recently seen an automotive news article post on Chrysler Pacifica drag racing... I just don't get it..

·
Registered
322 Posts
That makes sense.. There should be an online version eventually I would think ?
Possibly, but honestly, it wasn't much of a review. They had a chance to drive it, but the real interesting info will come from MT or C&D when they are allowed to drive one around for a few days and do an instrumented test. That'll probably be in a few months.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Possibly, but honestly, it wasn't much of a review. They had a chance to drive it, but the real interesting info will come from MT or C&D when they are allowed to drive one around for a few days and do an instrumented test. That'll probably be in a few months.
I'll be on the look out for long term tests, left lane news being one of them, but these days there's a growing chance to see that come from an actual owner which to me matters more. Sometimes car makers make special tweaks to press cars.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I think Edmunds is one publication that performs long term tests too, things like getting groceries, taking kids places, etc. I can't wait to read what they have to say after driving a Bolt around for a week.

·
Registered
730 Posts
IMO they're underrated. On the flip side you have publications like Car and Driver that makes you pay for not even half that information, which is information you can find online for free and in abundance. Smaller publications is where its at.

Even guys like TFL Car give great feedback within the short time they have a vehicle, too bad they don't do long term tests.

·
Registered
322 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I'm really not too fond of TFL Car. But I disagree, C&D always give you full out information on everything. I've never dealt with pay for anything with them ?

·
Registered
263 Posts
C&D reviews are free and open to the public on their site. Not sure what you need to pay for unless you want to subscribe to their newsletters and magazines.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts