Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was driving in San Francisco where the outside temperature was 93 degrees Fahrenheit. In the Bolt, the temperature readout on the infotainment screen (upper right hand corner of screen) read 74 degrees! How could it be so far off? The car is very clean, nothing that I know of obstructing any sensors. I had the air-conditioning on and the inside temperature was set at 68 degrees,

Anybody notice this discrepancy between outside temperature and the digital readout on the screen?

Thanks!
Jerry

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Only when I drive out of the attached (cooled) garage. It takes a fair bit of time to adjust to OAT, but even then, how do you know if it is accurate? When I drive past a bank or other temperature displaying sign, it usually shows no more than a 2-3 degree variance.

·
Registered
508 Posts
In Berkeley yesterday, mine was reading very close to other measurements of the air temperature. Certainly within a degree or two. So I wonder if yours has a problem. I am not sure where the thermometer is mounted, but it seems responsive to changes in temperature. It was really hot around the Bay yesterday. At 7:00 in the evening it was still 86, at the waters edge at the Berkeley Marina. At least the Bolt air conditioner seems to work well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I drove in the san jose, south bay area and my temperature was within 2 to 3 degree of what google was tell me.
There is a high chance your sensor is busted

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Mine seems as close as any car thermometer ever is. How long did you give it? Is it consistently wrong over many trips? What was your source for 93 in SF?

Wow. 93 in San Francisco. The folks over there must all be bitching an kvetching like crazy. I swear if it gets over 78 in the City, everyone goes on and on about how hot it is. :laugh:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Mine seems as close as any car thermometer ever is. How long did you give it? Is it consistently wrong over many trips? What was your source for 93 in SF?

Wow. 93 in San Francisco. The folks over there must all be bitching an kvetching like crazy. I swear if it gets over 78 in the City, everyone goes on and on about how hot it is. :laugh:
SF set an all time high on Saturday, 105. My Bolt in Berkeley registered over 100. Payback for cancelling the Paris Climate Accord, i am guessing.:nerd:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am also in the SF Bay Area and had similar issues with the thermometer being off by 20-30 degrees over the past several days. Took it in today for a prescheduled appointment and they found nothing wrong because it wasn't acting up today. Also having some other issues that they couldn't address. Not thrilled with Chevy service at the moment. Let us know if you find out the problem.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Outside temperature display issue

My outside temperature display decided to stay at 81 degrees yesterday. I live in San Joaquin Valley, and wish it were so. I did nothing out of the ordinary, turning the Bolt off/on over course of normal driving day, and the voila at the end of the day it operated normally. I always keep car plugged in at home regardless of charge level due to the heat, 100 degree average in garage. Slightly higher outside, and much higher unshaded.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My car is in the shop for an ambient temperature sensor fault. It caused my A/C not to function.
I didn't look at the display to see what it was reading, I was fiddling with the heater controls thinking I had something set wrong (only had the car for a few days).
According to the tech if the car can't tell what the outside temp is, it can't figure out if it needs to run the A/C or the heat!
Apparently a bad sensor indicates cold, because I was getting some hot air blowing on me on a hot day!
I let you know when they resolve the issue if it indeed was the ambient temp sensor that was bad, or something else.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ambient temperature sensor issue?

My car is in the shop for an ambient temperature sensor fault. It caused my A/C not to function.
I didn't look at the display to see what it was reading, I was fiddling with the heater controls thinking I had something set wrong (only had the car for a few days).
According to the tech if the car can't tell what the outside temp is, it can't figure out if it needs to run the A/C or the heat!
Apparently a bad sensor indicates cold, because I was getting some hot air blowing on me on a hot day!
I let you know when they resolve the issue if it indeed was the ambient temp sensor that was bad, or something else.
Turned out to be 3 O-Rings were leaking in the "Drive motor battery cooler".

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Turned out to be 3 O-Rings were leaking in the "Drive motor battery cooler".
Interesting. I wonder what in the world the drive motor cooler has to do with A/C? I wonder if this is the same failure as in the "Transmission Leak" thread?

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
My understanding is that the AC unit does all the cooling, through a series of isolated 50/50 antifreeze loops. One for the car interior, others for the motor/gearbox, battery, inverter, DC-DC converter and charger.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts