Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12/16 build, 2017, white LT
12,001 Posts
It was a brand new car wash and the water was very forceful I wonder if some water kind of got behind the grill and cooled down the sensor? Thanks for the pic!
The round end of the sensor, where the thermistor is, sticks out the front of the grill, exactly where the water would spray.

The reading on the center screen is also a damped average, over some length of time, to avoid rapid swings in the reading you see. In Torque Pro, you can see that reading,and several undampended readings too. In reality, the air temperature at the front of the car can swing all over. If you've ever ridden a bike, you know the air temperature swings from hill to gully, over a creek, etc.
Plastic Optical instrument Camera accessory Auto part Composite material

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt LT
233 Posts
The round end of the sensor, where the thermistor is, sticks out the front of the grill, exactly where the water would spray.

The reading on the center screen is also a damped average, over some length of time, to avoid rapid swings in the reading you see. In Torque Pro, you can see that reading,and several undampended readings too. In reality, the air temperature at the front of the car can swing all over. If you've ever ridden a bike, you know the air temperature swings from hill to gully, over a creek, etc.
View attachment 42552
thanks for the thoughtful and informative answer, I think I know what happened then. It’s been working fine since. But the drop in temperature actually affected my air conditioning, as it didn’t get too cold

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
But the drop in temperature actually affected my air conditioning, as it didn’t get too cold
That is an interesting idea. I don't see why the outside temperature would be used to control the AC. I would expect the HVAC system to be looking at cabin air temperature. How would knowing the outside temperature help?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
3,509 Posts
That is an interesting idea. I don't see why the outside temperature would be used to control the AC. I would expect the HVAC system to be looking at cabin air temperature. How would knowing the outside temperature help?
Auto setting and perceived low outside temperature might cause the HVAC system to use the fresh air setting (instead of recirculate), and blend too much outside air...?

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
Auto setting and perceived low outside temperature might cause the HVAC system to use the fresh air setting (instead of recirculate), and blend too much outside air...?
I suppose Auto could be using recirculate. We never use auto anything, anywhere, when manual choice is available....freedom!

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
Anyway, those ambient air sensors are in an exposed position and thus a wear part. Keep most any car long enough and you'll be replacing it.

jack vines
Fortunately, it can be gotten out from the grill openings, if you have fingers like a child. Otherwise you would literally have to pull the front off the car to replace it.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts