Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Pickup
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am converting a Bolt to Bolt Pickup for a client that is testing it for delivery service, it will be finished April 15th. If they like it, they will purchase several more of them. Cost is $20K to convert your existing Bolt or $50K to convert a new 2020 Bolt. Has anyone else done this? What do you think?

·
Registered
902 Posts
I doubt you can claim Bolt range without Bolt aerodynamics.

I will also say D, none of the above... but not because I don't want a pickup truck... because I DO want a pickup truck... not a front wheel drive version of an El Camino.

Keith

·
Registered
53 Posts
I do not want a pickup truck either. However, I can see some companies would find them very cheap to operate. If this turns out to be popular for some companies, sales will increase. I see nothing negative about this.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
In three years we will have EV pickups, just need to be patient. I don't see any demand for this at all. Only mod that makes sense is to remove back seats and you can use it for delivery for smaller packages.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I do not want a pickup truck either. However, I can see some companies would find them very cheap to operate. If this turns out to be popular for some companies, sales will increase. I see nothing negative about this.
Just attach a trailer to the Bolt for the same function. Saw someone do this in Oakhurst California. They were towing quite a bit.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just attach a trailer to the Bolt for the same function. Saw someone do this in Oakhurst California. They were towing quite a bit.
This will work but maneuvering any vehicle with a trailer in city traffic is more difficult. Can you imagine trying to parallel park with a trailer? ---or finding a parking place? Yes, I know---double park!

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
This will work but maneuvering any vehicle with a trailer in city traffic is more difficult. Can you imagine trying to parallel park with a trailer? ---or finding a parking place? Yes, I know---double park!
The huge advantage of a trailer is that you don't need to drag it around when you're not carrying a load. Most pickups I see are empty. And when you're carrying a load you're probably going direct from source to destination and not making a lot of shopping stops in between, so the need to parallel park ought to be pretty limited.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am converting a Bolt to Bolt Pickup for a client that is testing it for delivery service, it will be finished April 15th. If they like it, they will purchase several more of them. Cost is $20K to convert your existing Bolt or $50K to convert a new 2020 Bolt. Has anyone else done this? What do you think?

View attachment 28892
The design I submitted earlier has a stretched chassis with a longer bed. A modified standard Bolt would have a small bed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
How would that do in a rollover? It's not designed as a truck, after all.
modifying an existing Bolt would be difficult and expensive. A manufactured El Camino version would have a reinforced b-pillar and other reinforced body structure.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If it was AWD, it would be tempting.
Used to have a Baja and loved that little truck. We used that a LOT...
Arcade machines, queen size bed/mattress (that one was only about 1/4 of a mile, but still), etc..

But my wife needs AWD. Not for off-roading, but for bad-roading. She is an avid birder and frequently on logging and other roads, where the definition of "road" is used quite liberally. ;-)

I love the concept of small pickups. Its one of the things we noticed when we traveled abroad. Lots of nice small pickups around. Just not as much in the US right now..

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Do you have a lot of experience doing this? It won't be as easy as it looks, and it doesn't look that easy.
Aluminum body panels, weird spaces in the lower rear. The only thing you really have going for you is the rear torsion beam for suspension.
The aero will be a mess. Weight distribution may actually improve.
No offense, but I cant see spending 50k on this. Isnt that the cost of a Cyber Truck?

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Pickup
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I assume you are using the stripped Bolt from GM as starting points for new ones? Chevy Takes Out Rear Seats In The Bolt Incomplete

I think the RPO code is K1T for "back seat delete" Of course it might well be more economical to buy used Bolts and convert them...
We converted a used 2017 Bolt as a test. But the assumption is to use new 2020 Bolts if there is market demand.

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Pickup
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do you have a lot of experience doing this? It won't be as easy as it looks, and it doesn't look that easy.
Aluminum body panels, weird spaces in the lower rear. The only thing you really have going for you is the rear torsion beam for suspension.
The aero will be a mess. Weight distribution may actually improve.
No offense, but I cant see spending 50k on this. Isnt that the cost of a Cyber Truck?
Yes, we do custom modifications on all sorts of vehicles. We did a similar cut & modify on a 1996 Land Cruiser into a world Overlander with bed pop top roof, interior with bed, stove, fridge, sink etc.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts