Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Pickup
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It will be interesting to see if the weight reduction or drag increases/decreases the distance. We'll know April 15th :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
The mock-up is ugly as Hêll.
I'd have to see the real deal but not lovin' it at the moment.

Why not electrify an existing truck that looks and feels like a truck?

·
Registered
53 Posts
The huge advantage of a trailer is that you don't need to drag it around when you're not carrying a load. Most pickups I see are empty. And when you're carrying a load you're probably going direct from source to destination and not making a lot of shopping stops in between, so the need to parallel park ought to be pretty limited.
I agree. A pickup has a use and a trailer has a use. I have a Jeep Wrangler and a trailer which I use when I need a "pickup". But some businesses need a vehicle which can deliver small and large packages frequently. A pickup is ideal for them. (Auto parts store?) An EV pickup will save them money. I have a 2018 Bolt with 27,000 miles on it. I just figured had I not bought the Bolt and used the Jeep instead, I would have spent $4,000 (US) more on transportation costs. The way I look at it, I just spent $26,000 for my $30,000 Premier Bolt.

·
Registered
186 Posts
This could be interesting for certain types of businesses. Other businesses would likely prefer a van. I like pickup trucks and would go for a good EV or PHEV pickup. But, for me a Bolt conversion lacks what I would want: high ground clearance, AWD, 6-foot bed and load capacity of around 1500 lbs as well as some towing ability. So, I'd be looking more for a real pickup. Still, this could be useful for certain types of uses. Since it would be mostly for local use, I don't think range would be a problem even with reduced aerodynamics. Certainly you are not a high-volume supplier, so there might be enough interest to keep you busy. Finding the customers might be the biggest challenge.

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Pickup
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thank you for all the feedback, it is helpful. I'll answer most of what I can here. Yes, it will have a 3rd brake light on the cab, all airbags work and the B-pillar, roof, pickup bed is reinforced. Here is the overview, we were hired by a large company that has a progressive, carbon-neutral policy and does a lot of local shipping. They currently have an existing national fleet of LPG trucks, some electric cars but no electric pickups. They hired me to build a prototype electric vehicle with the following goals: fit two people, 200 miles+ range, minimum 75 MPH top speed, zero to sixty in under 9 seconds, DC full charge under 12 hours, fit a pallet 48x40x48, carry 500lbs payload, curb weight under 5200 lbs, body width under 81 inches and with a quantity of 25+, cost under $50K. They also will purchase a "large quantity" (over 25) and want them all delivered before November 2020 for a specific event. I am submitting my vehicle on April 15th. I am not sure if other electric vehicles from other companies are being presented on April 15th but I will assume so. I'll keep everyone posted to the progress, the next milestone is April 10rd when we will take the Bolt Pickup to the track to measure total charge distance @ 55PMH, payload capacity, top speed and zero to sixty times.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Your project sounds interesting. I would certainly like to see how it progresses. Thanks.

·
Registered
237 Posts
It all makes more sense now, thanks for the back story. I wonder if you could have just enlarged the hatch opening or do you need to get rid of the extra weight of the doors and sides? Does the pallet have to drop in from the top or slide in from the rear?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am converting a Bolt to Bolt Pickup for a client that is testing it for delivery service, it will be finished April 15th. If they like it, they will purchase several more of them. Cost is $20K to convert your existing Bolt or $50K to convert a new 2020 Bolt. Has anyone else done this? What do you think?

View attachment 28923
Looks awsome, we converted a leaf to a pickup back in 15, someone at nissan posted their design, and we copied, tweaked a bit, mini pick ups are very popular, unfortunately, no one is listening, the new ranger is almost the size of the F-150...I think your design is pretty awsome HI-5

·
Registered
18 Posts
Gee Whiz, most of the replies are from such Debbie Downers. I think you idea looks great, not sure I'd be willing to give up the extra seats, but for the folks thinking this is a bad idea, I'll remind them of a number of factors:
  • Because American-based manufacture of trucks has been sitting behind a 25% "Chicken Tax" since 1964, Americans have been paying a premium for pickup trucks since 1964. This means that ANY pickup truck made here is going to have a higher profit margin than the corresponding car.
  • It is likely that the cabin is better protected from roll-over now because now the cabin is 1/3 the size. I'd rather be in that truck then my own Bolt during a roll-over. That "back wall" is going to stiffen up the roof. (even with window in it)
  • I suspect the aerodynamics can not be all that worse, the Bolt already has a horrible Cd drag number (it's above 0.3, the slipperier cars are now down in the low 0.2's.) Chopping the back off can not hurt all that much, and if this were being mass-produced, then you'd be able to find those net-like tail gates and tonneau covers on the market.
To the OP, I wish you luck, and I think you are on to something. It has the advantage that it is being built starting with an American name-plate, and for certain pickup owners, that is a plus. I don't care what anybody says about the old El Camino. I like that better than the new Dude Ranch versions of big pickups, with two rows of seating, Bose sound systems, and leather that will never see a ding in their bed until the second owner. That is more bogus.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you do a web search and see what's available In japan, a d Australia, you'll be like, why does America (car manufacturers) hate mini pick ups

21 - 36 of 36 Posts