Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in other sites just in case.

For those people in Atlanta that want to test drive the Bolt, Jim Ellis Chevy has one demo unit on their lot! It's a silver Premier.
I've been talking to a sales rep up there for weeks and she told me today that they just received this Premier model days ago for people to test drive only.

The car looks great, is pretty fast and has some great features. The front seats for me are very uncomfortable though and I only drove it down a few back streets. I'm 6'2'' about 235 pounds. I like the headroom and its easy for me to get in and out of, but having recently had a 2013 LEAF "S", it feels much smaller than the LEAF.
My wife and kids rode with me too. Even my wife said that it felt much smaller.

After wanting this car forever, now I'm a little on the fence about buying one. Maybe it's because I had that LEAF and already expected certain things, or maybe because I had it practically free for the two-year lease time period. Fed and Ga state tax kickbacks, so not much out-of-pocket from me.
The LEAF only went about 60 miles for me on a full charge and wasn't too pretty, but like I said above it felt roomier to me.

I will tell you this;
The Bolt Premier EV is a killer car, but in my opinion go and drive one FIRST BEFORE you buy/order one from out-of state, so that you can be absolutely sure that you want it.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
After wanting this car forever, now I'm a little on the fence about buying one. Maybe it's because I had that LEAF and already expected certain things, or maybe because I had it practically free for the two-year lease time period. Fed and Ga state tax kickbacks, so not much out-of-pocket from me.
The LEAF only went about 60 miles for me on a full charge and wasn't too pretty, but like I said above it felt roomier to me.

I will tell you this;
The Bolt Premier EV is a killer car, but in my opinion go and drive one FIRST BEFORE you buy/order one from out-of state, so that you can be absolutely sure that you want it.
Yep, the Bolt's not for everybody. GM needs to revise those seats ASAP IMO. They need all the sales they can get with the Bolt. A tough sit-you-ation for them. Ha ha... hee hee.:rolleyes: Sorry, that was lame...

While the automotive media is giving the car high marks and accolades, the seat issue is quietly circulating the internet and dealers are hearing it. Potential buyers such as yourself are now anxiously awaiting the Hyundai Ioniq and Leaf 2.0, not to mention the obvious Model 3. I'm not sure how GM should handle the seat issue.

Obviously they can make a revision and all the cars going forward would have the new seats, but what about existing cars? What about the cars rolling off the line right now while they get new seats online? How do they let the world know they now have better seats, so that buyers will give the Bolt a second look, without admitting they made a mistake and tarnishing the car and the brand?

What I'd like to see them do is, revise the seat, make a small announcement to the dealers and the media and then offer free retrofits to early adopters that want it. What I expect them to do is revise the seat, notify dealers only, tell early adopters to go pound sand and accept some lost sales and a small number of bad customer relations. Only time will tell what they are actually going to do.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Seats are subjective to the seater. According to a GM-Volt.com post, the Bolt EV seats are just one inch narrower than in the Volt. So instead of critizing the Bolt EV seats, especially those who have not sat in them, just point out the better features. That is how the imports sell their cars! I have sat in expensive imports and their seats were worse than those in my Equinox, but that is my personal, subjective opinion. As an example of subjectiveness, the Chevy Volt seats are mechanical, not electric, yet no Volt owner has returned or rejected the car due to that lacking feature.

Go and try the seats in the Bolt EV first, then keep that opinion to yourself if you don't buy the Bolt EV. Don't kill potential seats! Just because you don't fit in those Bolt EV seats should not prevent other from trying and liking them. I think the issue isn't smaller seats, just bigger and overweight drivers. I am 6 feet and 215 pounds, yet I can sit anywhere and in any car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
"available nationwide (Georgia) in September" Yikes. Why not just wait for the 2018?

Thanks Mailman13 for the update. We were out looking at Audi's for the other half on Saturday night, and drove into Jim Ellis Chevy to see if anything was going on, and we stumbled onto this Ellis California import.

I did go to the Atlanta Auto show this weekend, and was able to test drive a Premiere, finally. I must say it was pretty fantastic. Really handled well, and great 0-60. The test drive was designed to go thru an unused side street, so you could test the pick-up.

Yes, the seats were not as wide as my Leaf, and the Chevy person told me this car is one that travels to auto shows for demos, therefore, it's seen a lot of butts. Consequently, or not, the sides of the seat did not dig into my thighs, nor did I feel like I was sitting on a funnel. I'm 5'11" and 155 lbs, so I am just under average weight, I think.

I did sit in a LT on the lot in Palm Springs, and I definitely felt like I was atop a funnel (wide end up; lol) The next day at a different dealership, in a Premiere, the seat felt pretty normal. The Premiere inside the Atlanta auto show also felt the same to me. So out of 4, 1 was no good. Maybe this was a seat vendor issue that's been resolved.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Seats are subjective to the seater. According to a GM-Volt.com post, the Bolt EV seats are just one inch narrower than in the Volt. So instead of critizing the Bolt EV seats, especially those who have not sat in them, just point out the better features.
Obviously the dealers would use that strategy.

The problem is that people who find the seats uncomfortable aren't shy about letting people know through the Internet. And way more people seem to find them uncomfortable than in other similar cars. That impacts potential customers such as myself, who would like to buy a Bolt but because of this issue won't do so until I can get a test drive that lasts for 20 minutes or more.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Test drive.

Obviously the dealers would use that strategy.

The problem is that people who find the seats uncomfortable aren't shy about letting people know through the Internet. And way more people seem to find them uncomfortable than in other similar cars. That impacts potential customers such as myself, who would like to buy a Bolt but because of this issue won't do so until I can get a test drive that lasts for 20 minutes or more.
The Jim Ellis salesperson scanned my license and then threw me the key fob. He didn't care how long we were gone for I don't think.

On the seats;
Maybe different "batches" do have different fitting seats.
I can tell you that I didn't go up there with a preconceived idea in my head that the seats were going to be tight, narrow etc. As soon as my family and I jumped in, my wife who I hadn't said anything about the seats to, immediately said that the seats were tight. She didn't complain about hurting, but to be fair we didn't drive the car for long so....maybe I'll return by myself and cruise Atl.
During the test drive she also said "honey I love you, but you could use a breath mint":) She said that she felt that close to me. Our opinion ONLY.

Still a great car though and it looks better in person than anywhere online.
It might not be for my wife, but with a seat mod, maybe I'd buy one and drive it for a short time until I retire and then give it to my teenage daughter.
She's considered "normal sized" I think, so there'll be no problem with the seats.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts