Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Just bought a 17 Bolt on Thursday, scaling the learning curve.

Not sure if this is common knowledge, but I discovered a quirk with the Bolt. If you drive without your seatbelt on, it disables the full stop in L and on the paddle. Without a seatbelt, it will creep just like a gas car with an automatic.

I suppose this is programmed in as a safety thing, so that a person doesn't come to a stop, remove their belt, and take a nap or something with the car "in gear".

The gearhead in me imagines putting the seatbelt sensor on a switch, such that a person who does regular stop and go traffic could creep on the switch, thus not having to use his feet at all in traffic jams.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Not sure if this is common knowledge, but I discovered a quirk with the Bolt. If you drive without your seatbelt on, it disables the full stop in L and on the paddle. Without a seatbelt, it will creep just like a gas car with an automatic.
This is one of many observations that new owners find out about. This "feature" has been removed in later models. Have you discovered the pedestrian alert system noise maker yet? That one seems to surprise people too.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
but I discovered a quirk with the Bolt
Here's another one for you, if you get in the habit of driving in "L" mode, you're in for a little surprise the first time you charge to full and try to full regen to your next stop with a full battery. Your regen is limited as there's little room in the battery for the extra energy.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The gearhead in me imagines putting the seatbelt sensor on a switch, such that a person who does regular stop and go traffic could creep on the switch, thus not having to use his feet at all in traffic jams.
If you are in stop-and-go traffic, you can shift to D instead of L and then use the regen button behind the steering wheel to turn off creep when stopped.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of the biggest learning curves is the range estimate on the Bolt. It's a guess based on previous driving history and outside temperature.
It’s funny you mention that. I charged the car up to 98% or so, and even though I’m averaging something like 4.1/kw, my range-o-meter thing claims about 130 miles.

Put about 40 miles on it, bars on the flow gauge (and phone app) claim about 70% battery charge. If those numbers are right, this thing has a range of about 130 miles. About to take it back to the dealership I bought it from Monday.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is one of many observations that new owners find out about. This "feature" has been removed in later models. Have you discovered the pedestrian alert system noise maker yet? That one seems to surprise people too.
Yes, and also looked up the fuse diagram to figure out which fuse to pull to disable it.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Here's another one. If you are driving slowly forward with your seatbelt off and you open the door, the car comes to a grinding halt and it automatically goes in park. I found that out once when I did that in my driveway to better hear a ticking noise which turned out to be a rock in the tire tread. :)

Mike

·
Registered
487 Posts
It’s funny you mention that. I charged the car up to 98% or so, and even though I’m averaging something like 4.1/kw, my range-o-meter thing claims about 130 miles.
Correct units are miles per kWh, not "4.1/kw". Did you reset that screen? If not, it'll be based on whatever driving was done since last reset.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Morning XJ... I see the pedestrian alert all the time but have never heard it. Is there a volume setting for it?

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Morning XJ... I see the pedestrian alert all the time but have never heard it. Is there a volume setting for it?
Shouldn't have used the word alert but warning instead. The noise is outside the car generated with a speaker so pedestrians can hear the car. I believe it changes the tone based on your speed up to 14 mph. The alert in the car is silent unless you're about to hit a pedestrian and then you get the very noticeable red lights flashing on the dash with high pitched beeps.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
If those numbers are right, this thing has a range of about 130 miles. About to take it back to the dealership I bought it from Monday.
Any thoughts?
130 miles is still high enough to be explained by normal factors. Storage on the dealer lot with spirited test drives and lots of sitting running the battery down, etc. Where do you live and what's the outside temperature? If you store the car outside near freezing the car will show a very low number when the battery gets cold and then be low from using the car's heater.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts

Put about 40 miles on it, bars on the flow gauge (and phone app) claim about 70% battery charge. If those numbers are right, this thing has a range of about 130 miles. About to take it back to the dealership I bought it from Monday.
Any thoughts?
Absolutely. Charge to 100%, or set it to "hilltop" charge if you don't want to wait to get to 100%. Hilltop is 88-90% SOC, and will reset the energy screen. Zero out the trip odometer. It will default to 3.9 mi/kWh. Drive the car for 50 miles minimum. Look at the newly calibrated mi/kWh on the trip odometer, and look at the center screen energy screen that shows how many kWh, and miles traveled since last full charge.

With a used Bolt you should have about 55 kWh usable, so each green bar is ~2.75 kWh. The bars don't go away until almost used up. If you averaged 4.1 mi/kWh you should have used 50 ÷ 4.1 = 12.2 kWh. 12.2 ÷ 2.75 = 4.4. You should have used 4-5 green bars...no more. If your actual capacity is much lower, your Bolt has one of the failed batteries, and I would return it ASAP.

1603032635160.png 1603032525715.png

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It’s been mid 50s here in Ohio.

charging has all been 110v in my 5 days of ownership. Charges at a rate that’s acceptable: nearly 4mi/hr at 12 amps.

Used 0 hvac as I know that will skew the numbers.

Using L and paddle, almost no foot brake used.

Driving normally, not aggressively.

Average consumption hovers around 4 mi/kwh.

So all that’s fine. But after a full overnight charge, Battey Power page reports this after 55.5 miles of travel:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks to me like 55% batt level, for 55 miles of travel. This agrees with the GOM, which was reporting about 145 miles this morning after full charge.

Any thoughts on how to demonstrate this to the Chevy dealer? Will his scan tool report battery capacity, or cell capacity, or some such?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I would take that car back so fast it would make your head spin! Get out of that deal, or force them to fix the battery.

They will blame the low range on your driving habits, HVAC use, and the weather... but your data shows that you have a junk cell somewhere in the battery pack. If you have an android phone, get torque pro and a bluetooth OBDII dongle and you can diagnose the problem faster than your average chevy dealership by pinpointing what battery cell has voltage that is different than the other battery cells in the pack.

Keith

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would take that car back so fast it would make your head spin! Get out of that deal, or force them to fix the battery.

They will blame the low range on your driving habits, HVAC use, and the weather... but your data shows that you have a junk cell somewhere in the battery pack. If you have an android phone, get torque pro and a bluetooth OBDII dongle and you can diagnose the problem faster than your average chevy dealership by pinpointing what battery cell has voltage that is different than the other battery cells in the pack.

Keith
I am inclined to agree.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
How many miles of past driving does the GOM base it’s estimate on? 50 miles? 100 miles?
Seem to remember it's 50 which matches the energy screen with the histogram on it. Looked at some past threads and didn't see anything definitive, mostly speculation.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts