Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
I don't have much of a choice here: I have to leave mine on 73 auto. If I set it on 76 auto, it'll command heat even when it's 85-87F outside! Only when the car gets heat soaked in a parking lot will it throw AC consistently at a setting of 76 auto.

Mike
Still, that is better than demanding 68 out of car AC in the hot sun. My auto AC runs very smoothly, but I am beginning to think that such function is, indeed, affected by your starting humidity. Humidity is usually extremely low in New Mexico, where I am. And I have never seen the unit confuse the need for cooling with heating. Do not know why altitude might affect it, but even our river basins are above 4400 ft. Maybe some combo of low humidity and altitude. Someone may have a scientific idea about this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks to all who replied. Looks like any concerns I had about AC being weak or a range drag were unfounded. Planning to go for a second test drive this weekend and then make my decision within a week thereafter. Right now I'm about 99% of the way to yes...
You will not regret it. It's a fun car to drive and nothing beats knowing you will never pump gas again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just to confirm prior comments: In the AZ summer with temps between 100 and 110 and very low humidity, we find that the cool down time is fairy quick and about 25% of the electricity used is attributed to the "climate setting" . That 25% is the worst case, hi temps and short trips.

Loring

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hello all.

Just joined the forum. I am this close to buying a new 2020 Bolt EV, which would be my first EV.

I typically do 50 miles or fewer each day, so the published range of 259 will be more than enough for me in most scenarios. However, I live in South Florida where for more than 6-8 months of the year 90+ temps necessitate keeping the air conditioning on full blast (especially if my wife is in the car).

So I've got two questions for any Bolt-owning Floridians (or those from other hot climates) who would care to weigh in:

1. I realize there are many variables at play when discussing range, but roughly speaking about how much of an impact does heavy AC use have on your Bolt's range? Are we talking like 10%-20%, or significantly more than that?

2. Is the Bolt's air conditioning able to keep the cabin cool in persistently hot climates? (My current ICE car isn't very icy-- it can barely keep the car comfortable in the height of summer, and makes a ton of noise doing it.)

Thanks to all. Looking forward to spending more time here in the weeks and months to come.

Joe
AS with ANY vehicle in South Florida, get the windows tinted first thing!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I hope you buy the Bolt, you won't regret it. It is SO COOL being able to drive just about anywhere and not use gasoline or oil. Just drive by and wave! Warm climates are perfect for BEVs. It's the cold climes that suck battery range. So you have no worries. As an example, I live in northern California. Summer temperatures in the 90s, winter temps in the 40s. In summer, 235+ miles on full charge. In winter, it can go as low as 175 miles. In the freezing states, that can go as low as 150.

My only complaint isn't about the car, it's the lack of charging infrastructure in certain areas where we like to travel. We have cousins who live in the north east corner of the state. In order to visit them, we drive to Reno and charge up at a DCFC. Normally, you'd charge up to 80%, since the charge rate really slows after that, but I would have to force it to charge to 100%, which takes twice as long and costs extra. But the stint from Reno to Modoc is 208 miles. I have to drive below 65mph and not use the heater or ac. I have a similar problem when driving to Fort Bragg on the coast. No DCFC anywhere on highway 20 between Williams and the coast. Not even a DCFC in Fort Bragg! But everywhere else, it's easy to find a DCFC.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts