Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My apologies if this has been discussed, but is there any correlation regarding types of chargers used when the fires have occured? I have to wonder if this is related to fast charging as the battery approaches full charge.

·
Registered
6,264 Posts
My apologies if this has been discussed, but is there any correlation regarding types of chargers used when the fires have occured? I have to wonder if this is related to fast charging as the battery approaches full charge.
It has been discussed, and no. Most were charged on J1772 EVSEs, using the onboard charger.

·
791 Posts
It has been discussed, and no. Most were charged on J1772 EVSEs, using the onboard charger.
The one common factor that has been mentioned is being at or near 100% charge. That alone implies L2 charging, not too many of us would use DCFC to reach 100%.

·
Registered
2019 Bolt & 2015 Spark EV
219 Posts
The one common factor that has been mentioned is being at or near 100% charge. That alone implies L2 charging, not too many of us would use DCFC to reach 100%
You were saying? 😂

·
Registered
565 Posts
Ok...not so many free DCFC out there. But the graph also tells another story, the last 10-20% were not much faster than L2. If paying by time, that last 20% on L2 would be significantly less cost than paying for L3 all the way to 100%.
Thank goodness the fastest-growing DCFC network in the country charges by kWh only in most locations.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Bolt LT, Cajun Red (w/o fast charge)
11 Posts
I would also be curious as to whether the vehicles in question used the "immediate charge to 40%" in the event of a discharged state below the 40%. If the "immediate charge to 40% is not selected, and the owner just plugs in and charges all the way to "full".....the battery does not get a "break", so-to-speak, during that charge duration between below 40% and fully "100%" charged. The battery will experience what ever heating is generated over that whole time. I do "Departure Charging" and yes....I have the "Immediate Charge to 40% selected.
Did Chevy ask the folks with Bolt fires what their charging plans are or have been?
My Sister had purchased a Bolt a few months after I did and she was concerned about the heat she felt coming out from the front end. So I ask her if she was using the "Immediate Charge to 40%"....she said no! I told her to try setting the Immediate to on and see how things go....the heat coming out the front went away upon similar charging conditions. Just food for thought....not trying to tell anyone what to do or twist anyone's arm or nothin'.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Bolt LT, Cajun Red (w/o fast charge)
11 Posts
I would also be curious as to whether the vehicles in question used the "immediate charge to 40%" in the event of a discharged state below the 40%. If the "immediate charge to 40% is not selected, and the owner just plugs in and charges all the way to "full".....the battery does not get a "break", so-to-speak, during that charge duration between below 40% and fully "100%" charged. The battery will experience what ever heating is generated over that whole time. I do "Departure Charging" and yes....I have the "Immediate Charge to 40% selected.
Did Chevy ask the folks with Bolt fires what their charging plans are or have been?
My Sister had purchased a Bolt a few months after I did and she was concerned about the heat she felt coming out from the front end. So I ask her if she was using the "Immediate Charge to 40%"....she said no! I told her to try setting the Immediate to on and see how things go....the heat coming out the front went away upon similar charging conditions. Just food for thought....not trying to tell anyone what to do or twist anyone's arm or nothin'.
Oh.....and another thing....We both use the J1772 level 2 charging......no fast charging for us thanks!! Haste makes Waste....HA!....how true!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thank goodness the fastest-growing DCFC network in the country charges by kWh only in most locations.
That is not a good thing if it encourages people to leave their vehicles at a DCFC for two hours. There needs to be an incentive to move over to the L2 if you want to top off, so the fast charger is available to someone else.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Ok...not so many free DCFC out there. But the graph also tells another story, the last 10-20% were not much faster than L2.
Still quite a lot faster than L2 if by "L2" you mean running the OEM EVSE at 240V and 12A. That's my use case. And yeah, there are a lot of free DC fast chargers around here.

It's never a good idea to assume that your situation applies to everyone.

·
Registered
219 Posts
That is not a good thing if it encourages people to leave their vehicles at a DCFC for two hours. There needs to be an incentive to move over to the L2 if you want to top off, so the fast charger is available to someone else.
I agree. I should note I was with my car the whole time (and always am if I'm pulling off "that stunt") and would have moved immediately if someone else had come along. There are lots of ways to implement fees for "discourteous use," but charging companies like ChargePoint, Greenlots, and some others, leave that up to the station owner's discretion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Question: A Chevy dealer's "fix" for the battery recall is apparently temporary. If I have already made the "Hilltop Reserve" adjustment for my 2017 Bolt, is there really a need to go get the dealer's "fix" as well? Is the Hilltop Reserve adjustment just as good, so that I can skip on the dealer?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Question: A Chevy dealer's "fix" for the battery recall is apparently temporary. If I have already made the "Hilltop Reserve" adjustment for my 2017 Bolt, is there really a need to go get the dealer's "fix" as well? Is the Hilltop Reserve adjustment just as good, so that I can skip on the dealer?
The answer here is yes, skip the recall. It apparently does nothing else but permanently put the car at Hilltop or 90%. Some of us need the extra 10% to full but we have been warned by GM to do this charge outside away from anything you don't want burned. If you forget to set Hilltop or 90% and burn down your house the blame is on you. If you need to cross your T's and dot your i's get the recall.

·
Registered
44 Posts
We've applied the "90% solution" they described in the recall, manually programming to prevent charging above 90%. GM EV Concierge told me that they want folks to get the software update to because it prevents customers from making mistakes and accidentally charging to 100%. We'll eventually let them update our vehicle, but we're not going to make a special trip for it. We have a minor service interval coming up, so we'll schedule that at our convenience and allow them to apply the update while we're there.

·
791 Posts
I have seen a few ChargePoint DC chargers that charge parking fees after a period of time, or time of day. That seems fair, for high demand locations, use a 1 hour free parking, then start assessing fees.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
The answer here is yes, skip the recall. It apparently does nothing else but permanently put the car at Hilltop or 90%.
If the GM fix limits the charge level to 90%, then one could argue that avoiding the fix and using Hilltop Reserve instead is actually safer because it limits the charge level to only 87 or 88%.

·
Registered
44 Posts
True, but only if you do it, and only if you do it right. They really want us to bring our recalled unit in for reprogramming because they fear we won't do it right or that at some point we'll accidentally change the profile back to 100%. We did it right and we won't do make that mistake, but next time we're in for scheduled service (our 22.5K mile service is coming up shortly), we'll let them (temporarily?) cripple our car at that time.

·
Registered
88 Posts
What happened to OTA updating? How long are we going to have to live with our cars having gimped range?

·
Registered
219 Posts
What happened to OTA updating? How long are we going to have to live with our cars having gimped range?
I agree there are many benefits, but OTA updating is a double edged sword. If the Bolt truly had it, the GM Mothership could have taken the top capacity (~3kwh) away remotely (like Tesla did with the problematic 85kwh packs). Owners not needing immediate service, have the choice, for better or worse, to have it done or not.

GM anticipates they'll have it worked out right after the start of the new year. I'm not holding my breath....

(Edit: the newly withheld ~3kwh "top capacity" I referred to, is actually more like ~4.5kwh from my recent testing)

Reactions: reeler
1 - 20 of 21 Posts