Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a few BMWs and hang out that the BimmerPost Forum a lot. Bimmer Post has an i3/i8 Forum, which I like to discuss the Chevey Volt and Bolt with the BMW Fan Boyz over there. I think Chevrolet has far out-engineered BMW when it comes to hybrids and EVs, however, this doesn't bode well with the BMW guys. Here's the early sales figures for the Bolt as compared to BMW's i3. The Bolt is only on sale in select markets, while the i3 is well established 3 years in to its sales life and is available nationwide...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
It doesn't matter if you don't understand (or if I don't understand). That's the beauty of a free-market system : if people buy it, it obviously pleases somebody. And they ARE selling (well, customers are acquiring them).

The i3 is one of the most popular non- Tesla/Bolt/LEAF all-battery EVs.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I don't know whether to be pleased or depressed. The Bolt is the best selling plugin, so far, this month. I am pretty sure 40 kWh Leaf sales will soon surpass Bolt sales. But I am becoming pretty concerned about Tesla. Nothing else has driven the push for EVs globally. Tesla's sales have been the one thing that environmentalists, and techies could point to, in response to all the naysayers. Model 3's need to start pouring out the door real soon.

https://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I see a bimodal buying pattern that reflects our society. Those buyers who have a (reasonably) large amount of money and desire the snootiness of a Tesla will wait. (As of today, almost all of the Model 3s sold have been to Tesla employees {and their families}. The first 5000 or so are in this category.) The transition from "hand-made" (expensive) cars to "production line" (cheaper) cars has been difficult for Tesla. The Bolt loses this round. Those buyers who have much less money, but desire an EV will find that the $7000 Bolt/Leaf price difference IS the deciding factor and will accept the lower range (considering the Leaf to be "primarily" a commuter car.) The Bolt loses this round. Is our glass half-empty or half-full? Do we have the best of both worlds or just a bad compromise? Most of US feel that having a true "touring car" (especially when charging infrastructure fills the non-coastal USA) IS worth the price difference. Only time will tell. However, we can all be assured that we HAVE been a significant part of EVolution!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
They don't look that bad to me, hopefully those numbers are good enough for Chevy to continue with the Bolt badge.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
But I am becoming pretty concerned about Tesla. Nothing else has driven the push for EVs globally. https://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/
The number of people in the US who can afford a $100-150K car is finite.

Tesla X and S sales went up in September dramatically. I speculate because Tesla offered some really good discounts for the folks who would drop $60K (not $120K!) for an available, known, large luxury car as opposed to an unavailable, midsize, non-luxury car of unknown final spec and at vague price sometime in 2018 or whenever.

Once the discounts were over, the sale was over. I imagine Tesla sales will be great once again towards the end of the year because of the tax rebate.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
The number of people in the US who can afford a $100-150K for a car is finite.

Tesla X and S sales went up in September dramatically. I speculate because Tesla offered some really good discounts for the folks who would drop $60K (not $120K!) for an available, known, large luxury car as opposed to an unavailable, midsize, non-luxury car of unknown final spec and at vague price sometime in 2018 or whenever.

Once the discounts were over, the sale was over. I imagine Tesla sales will be great once again towards the end of the year because of the tax rebate.
Historically, Tesla pushes hard on the last month of a quarter on deliveries and the following month takes the hit (Tesla doesn't count it a sale until transfer of title). July of this year being an anomaly but you can go back and see the trend. Most likely, only looking at S & X sales, November will be much more than October and December even better.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
The really disheartening news, for those of us who view cars as a disaster for civilization, is that over the last decade, the billions spent on the development of drivetrains, and infrastructure for EVs has been totally negated by people abandoning sensible vehicles. Sales of the Prius family of cars, now up to four models, have declined in lockstep with the introduction of EVs. Basically, anybody who gives a dang is replacing the best ICE option with a more expensive, less flexible EV. I don't believe the crazy growth projections for US EV adoption. I will be amazed if total sales exceed the level of the Prius at its highest. Total US hybrid sales peaked in 2013 at just over 3%. Meanwhile CO2 levels grow every single year, with nothing to suggest they will ever go down.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I see a bimodal buying pattern that reflects our society. Those buyers who have a (reasonably) large amount of money and desire the snootiness of a Tesla will wait. (As of today, almost all of the Model 3s sold have been to Tesla employees {and their families}. The first 5000 or so are in this category.) The transition from "hand-made" (expensive) cars to "production line" (cheaper) cars has been difficult for Tesla. The Bolt loses this round. Those buyers who have much less money, but desire an EV will find that the $7000 Bolt/Leaf price difference IS the deciding factor and will accept the lower range (considering the Leaf to be "primarily" a commuter car.) The Bolt loses this round. Is our glass half-empty or half-full? Do we have the best of both worlds or just a bad compromise? Most of US feel that having a true "touring car" (especially when charging infrastructure fills the non-coastal USA) IS worth the price difference. Only time will tell. However, we can all be assured that we HAVE been a significant part of EVolution!
I think it is too early to declare that the Leaf wins a round against the Bolt. I think the Bolt's range is more of an attraction even for those looking for a lower costs car. The Bolts sales showing month to month improvement looks solid. Leaf has much stronger name recognition because of its early start. From what I see on the Forum, Bolts are in limited supply in various states, certainly in Canada and Europe, so maybe GM is making them as fast as they can or as fast as they want to. The Tesla Model 3 roll out is virtually all hype at the moment, since they are yet unable to build them in any volume.
To me, while the Bolt looks conventional, it is on the cutting edge with its advanced motor and battery configuration. Chevy isn't investing in a real advertising campaign for some reason, though.
It is fun to watch how this plays out. None of these BEV's are likely to provide a real tipping point in the US mass market though. So don't stress about an instant revolution to save the world from CO2.:nerd:

·
Registered
56 Posts
The biggest jump and decline for October were Chrysler and Tesla

+ Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid (+700 from previous month)
- Tesla S (-3740 from previous month)

Bolt just climbed to 2nd in total sales year-to-date

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I personally have no idea why anyone would buy a BMW i3. I see no redeeming features of that car.
I think there are 4 qualities of i3 that appeal to a small, but resilient niche market in the US:

1. The exterior that is very different from anything else on the roads
2. The BMW badge, which is of a status symbol
3. The range extender - although I kind of question its utility
4. Good build quality and high reliability, from what I can gather

·
Registered
782 Posts
3. The range extender - although I kind of question its utility
true story regarding the range extender…

Friend of mine bought a i3 - drove it everyday - but one day he let the battery get a little further down than normal - he lives in Scott's Valley, CA - and commutes around the Bay Area during the work day - on his drive home on HWY 17 south (a hilly twisty road) he ran out of battery even with the range extender on/running…

the range extender doesn't have the capacity to keep up with the battery drain unless the car is being driven on a flat surface - basically if you're going up a hill and need some extra battery charge - the range extender is pointless…

·
Registered
158 Posts
The next 5 to 10 years will be very interesting to watch. Tesla will be the leader. I truely believe Tesla has a huge part to play in EV adoption worldwide.

Nissan, GM and others will trail in unit sales only for a short time. Remember that gas prices everywhere but the USA are high. Canada is our closest neighbor with prices almost double. Europe is double that. Once EV adoption increases around the world, we will follow. If gas prices increase, then that will happen sooner.
The fact that Tesla is home grown is huge. It keeps EV adoption on the front burner here. This is extremely important.

The Bolt was a test of concept for GM. Everyone needs to watch "Who killed the electric car" on you tube. An astonishing amount of tech and ideas from EV1 and Volt are in the Bolt. Bob Lutz called it and he saw an opportunity to capitalize on a concept by using Tesla as a reason to create the Volt and Bolt. If you look closely, note that the battery in the EV1 and Volt are both T shaped. That is no coincidence.

What comes next is adaptation of these ideas into other GM lines. Pick up trucks are a natural fit for either the Volt or the Bolt concept. All of this is dependent on gas prices rising above $80 a barrel.

With great October numbers of 2781 units, it pushes sales over 30,000 units annually. GM could have easily sold double that. Canada could have swallowed 5000 units instead of only 1000 allocated. Norway alone has stopped tak8ng orders on the Bolt/Ampera with 4000 on a waiting list. Asking the rest of Europe to take 25,000 units is a no brainer.

60,000 EV's from GM in a first year production in amazing! And we haven't even counted China...GM's biggest market!

GM clearly is limiting sales until it can get its battery costs down. This is why there is no advertising or push. They have to make it profitable. Once that happens, the sky is the limit.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
the range extender doesn't have the capacity to keep up with the battery drain unless the car is being driven on a flat surface
Besides, it uses 1.9 gallons of gas to add 66 miles, which is 35 mpg. Rather puzzling, since the i3 is a small car comparing to the Volt with its 40 mpg on gas.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Besides, it uses 1.9 gallons of gas to add 66 miles, which is 35 mpg. Rather puzzling, since the i3 is a small car comparing to the Volt with its 40 mpg on gas.
firmware upgrade gets you another gallon of capacity - it's software limited because to qualify for most states "green car" stickers the gas engine has limited that it can't go farther than the car can on battery power...the friend who owns the i3 got the firmware "flashed" literally in a garage behind the BMW dealer (cause BMW wouldn't do it) by "a guy" - the flash did two things:

1. unleashed the range extender to kick in sooner and harder to overcome the charging limits for uphill driving
2. reduced the gas tank limits to be able to take full fuel capacity based on volume rather than state regulations.

LOL - I don't like the i3.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
To paraphrase Dennis Prager's maxim, "The bigger the government, the smaller the extended range".

...except that Consumer Reports' reliability survey of 640,000 car owners shows that the i3 is BMW's least reliable model.
I wonder if for some i3 owners "complaining about reliability" is an avenue for venting buyers' remorse after dropping $50K on a subcompact.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts