Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 415 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Monthly Plug-in Sales Scorecard the Bolt sales for April, May, June are 1275, 1125, 1083. Has GM given up? I would have imagined some uptick as more people become aware. The number in Berkeley seem to be growing, but we live on the left coast.:(0:)

·
Registered
327 Posts
They certainly haven't been trying to sell them around here since last fall when the deals were good. Canadians had to wait more than a year for a Bolt.

Maybe they'll start moving them again this fall. ;)

Paul

·
Registered
574 Posts
TotaledJetta's sales numbers appear to be US sales ONLY. It appears those numbers do NOT include exports to countries such as Canada, South Korea or Europe. I couldn't find much info on total production by month, but it looks like sales to Canada aren't contributing much. The numbers on the GM Authority website are not up to date, but Canadian sales look like they contribute around another 10 percent.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/chevrolet/chevrolet-bolt-ev/chevrolet-bolt-ev-sales-numbers/

·
Registered
770 Posts
GM sold 181,000 total tax credit eligible EV's as of March 2018. Selling about 3,000 domestic Bolt's & Volts/Month would potentially start the tax credit wind down at the end of Q3/18. Could it be GM is...too...gaming the system?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
GM sold 181,000 total tax credit eligible EV's as of March 2018. Selling about 3,000 domestic Bolt's & Volts/Month would potentially start the tax credit wind down at the end of Q3/18. Could it be GM is...too...gaming the system?

I wouldn't blame them, if they did. GM and Tesla are soon going to be finding themselves at a huge competitive disadvantage. Other manufacturers took the slow and cautious wait-and-see-attitude about EVs, while GM, Nissan and Tesla really stuck their necks out to essentially create the market. Now their necks are going to be cut off along with the Fed EV incentive, while the timid souls following on their coat tails potentially eat their lunch (to the tune of $7500) in the marketplace.

I was under the impression that bold and forward-thinking were business attributes to be rewarded, not a cause to be royally screwed.:(

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
I wouldn't blame them, if they did. GM and Tesla are soon going to be finding themselves at a huge competitive disadvantage. Other manufacturers took the slow and cautious wait-and-see-attitude about EVs, while GM, Nissan and Tesla really stuck their necks out to essentially create the market. Now their necks are going to be cut off along with the Fed EV incentive, while the timid souls following on their coat tails potentially eat their lunch (to the tune of $7500) in the marketplace.

I was under the impression that bold and forward-thinking were business attributes to be rewarded, not a cause to be royally screwed.:(
Exactly. The current incentive was poorly thought out (and I'll spare everyone my usual anti-progressive rant).

The current program should be replaced with an unlimited rebate set to progressively phase out for everyone over the course of time. This phase out could be determined by a committee that evaluates the effectiveness of the program and determines the phase out period based on certain criteria rather than an arbitrary date. This incentivizes early investment and disincentivizes latecomers.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Exactly. The current incentive was poorly thought out (and I'll spare everyone my usual anti-progressive rant).

The current program should be replaced with an unlimited rebate set to progressively phase out for everyone over the course of time. This phase out could be determined by a committee that evaluates the effectiveness of the program and determines the phase out period based on certain criteria rather than an arbitrary date. This incentivizes early investment and disincentivizes latecomers.
Agree 100%.

But I don't see it changing unless there is a huge blue wave in November.

The Chinese are modernizing their power infrastructure while we keep subsidizing oil and coal. A centrally managed economy does have its advantages.

·
Registered
330 Posts
My understanding is that GM sees AV fleet sales as the way to make money on EVs. As far as consumer sales go, why get into a dogfight with a slew of competitors all of whom will have a built in $7500 advantage? AV's on the other hand, have a real "technological moat" that can be built around them. Just ask Tesla how easy it is to make a self driving car.

Reactions: Torontonian69

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Once Tesla, GM, and Nissan reach the 200K tax credit phase out, we will start to get an idea of actual EV buyer interest. Assuming the Republicans don't dump the credit totally, I suspect we will see buyers switching brands chasing the credit. If all credits go away, we will really be driving collectibles. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think we are all focusing too high up on the food chain. My experience has been that the Dealers know next to nothing about Bolts (or even Volts for that matter), and having no incentive to sell cars that will make them no money on the service side, they are simply not interested in selling them. Certainly, one could argue that GM's lack of any marketing strategy and/or advertising is not helpful, and may in itself be an indicator of their true commitment. But I have been to several dealerships that are not even sure where their Bolts and Volts are parked on the lot, or if they even have them in stock! Take a test drive with a sales rep. They are completely clueless. My opinion is that the Dealerships are sabotaging this new car segment. Hard to blame them if GM doesn't make it more palatable, but this is a two way street that appears to be creating a self-fulfilling prophesy of slow failure. Too bad, really. We love our Bolt!

·
Registered
411 Posts
So why all the talk about the bloody tax credits? Are we talking about car buying as a function of getting a lower tax bill for one year, or are we talking about buying a car because we don't want to use petroleum and IC engines anymore? I don't give a crap about tax credits. I want to drive zero emission vehicle, and not have to maintain a gas motor!

If GM is only developing the Bolt to make them look good in the eyes of environmentalists and to get some kind of corporate tax advantage, that would be effin stupid!

GM is in business to make money. If they want to make money on the Bolt, they need to MAKE PEOPLE AWARE OF IT!!! You can't sell something nobody knows about! I've already had people come up to me and ask about the Bolt, and I'm happy to sing it's virtues. If GM would only ADVERTISE more people would be aware of, and buy, the Bolt. Advertising 101.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
GM just needs to sell the Bolt in highly urbanized countries with short cross-country distances and extremely high fuel prices. In the US, the Bolt is too expensive for budget-minded buyers, who have been thriving on Civics and Corollas for decades, and too small for those who enhance their life with F-150's, Silverados and Rams.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
GM just needs to sell the Bolt in highly urbanized countries with short cross-country distances and extremely high fuel prices. In the US, the Bolt is too expensive for budget-minded buyers, who have been thriving on Civics and Corollas for decades, and too small for those who enhance their life with F-150's, Silverados and Rams.
Yes...or wait until the fracking-at-a-loss-to-investors scam blows up, and EVs look much more attractive. :)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
for those who enhance their life with F-150's, Silverados and Rams.
Getting slightly off topic, as is our wont here, but I've just had two separate conversations with new mothers who had their baby late in life. They both traded high-end mid-size BMW/M-B sedans for a 6000# Denali/Escalade. Their rationale, "If there's a collision, I want my baby to be the one living through it!"

Another conversation with a Leaf-owning family; the wife refuses to ride in it on the highway. "I just don't feel safe out there in a small car."

Finally, back to "for those who enhance their life with F-150's, Silverados and Rams." I translate this as "those who have a very different calculus of their transportation needs and the cost/value added thereof; an X+factor in their equation not obvious to most EV owners and/or are ignoring the Y-factor of direct and societal costs."

jack vines

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
If GM is concerned about Bolt sales, WHY DON'T THEY EFFIN ADVERTISE THEM??!! Anyone EVER seen a commercial for a Bolt? No!
No need to advertise if your production is limited and you’re easily selling every one that’s built.

Not only is GM not advertising, based on many posts on this site it appears that they’re also not offering much in the way of incentives either.

1 - 20 of 415 Posts