Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bolters, Some of the YouTube reviewers have disliked the Bolt shifter. It is nearly identical to my BMW shifter. The only real difference is the extra maneuver to get into reverse. The Bolt shifter is excellent - substantial and right where it belongs on the console. This is in contrast to the wiper-control-like shifter in the Tesla Model S, which was borrowed from Mercedes.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Careful there, you're making it sound like BMW has everything right and we should take this as a compliment.
For better or for worse, a lot of the Bolters are very GM-centric.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm not that crazy about the Bolt Shifter.

I could see if you had a manual transmission. There is no need to have a big, obtrusive shifter in the middle of the console. I find the Bolt shifter buttonology confusing too, resulting in an unintuitive user experience (UX).

This is one area where Tesla excels, with no need for 'start button' and more intuitive single button shifter (which I heard was from Mercedes Benz.)

We would be better served with a simpler solution, possibly one that automatically defaulted to D or L, depending on what we desired.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You'd have to change your shorts when you got home ;-)

I think the manual says somewhere that some shifts are ignored, like shifting into P at speed.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Does anyone else ever wonder what would happen if you accidentally hit the "P" button while driving?
I can tell you, that accidentally shifting into P, while miloving slowly, produces a very nasty sound, and brings you quickly to a stop. Don’t ask me how I know this. :|

I wouldn’t want to try it at higher speeds.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yes, I did exactly what DeltaFlyer did at a speed of 1 or 2 mph. I won't do that again. I am still a little puzzled whether it is fine to power down with car in D or L, or whether I should take the extra step of P. Someone said the parking brake comes on if P is bypassed, but I have not seen that.

·
Registered
735 Posts
BMW did bring out a lot of firsts to the industry, that style shifter was long seen even in 2005 BMW's along with one of the best (and/or only) infotainment systems at the time. Now look at how similar other car makers are operating compared to that.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I love the Bolt shifter compared to the clunky shifter in my Volt
Do you mean a Gen 1 or Gen 2 Volt? I for one liked the Gen 2 Volt shifter. Call me old fashioned, but I liked the visceral feel of shifting by feel and counting the "clicks" of the shifter to quickly go from R to D to R to D again.

Doing the same rapid shifting in my Bolt has resulted in some accidental shifts to N.

Reactions: Rickabe

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Doing the same rapid shifting in my Bolt has resulted in some accidental shifts to N.
I find it a bit difficult to get into the wrong "gear" with the Bolt shifter because each one has a unique movement. The only ambiguity is between "D" and "L", but that's not really a critical difference.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Shifting into R is very very finickity. I'm embarassed to say I'm probably only up to about 70% first-time engagement even after several months of ownership. Since I was trained to back into parking spots it gets a little frustrating at times. Especially towards Christmas now when the mall lots are overflowing and you have to act fast to get a spot.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I think the shifter in the Bolt is great just the way it is. I can't imagine how anyone could accidentally bump it into 'park'. Just put it in 'L' and leave it there.

And the Chevy Bolt is so nicely styled. The Beemer hybrid is uglier than a dog's butt. What were they thinking? BMW has a great reputation for styling: what happened?

·
Registered
173 Posts
^^. I have to unlearn the "lean the hand on the shifter because it's at the right placement for that", otherwise I run the risk of hitting the "P".

Also have to learn that the electronic shifter takes a few seconds to "move" into the selected gear. Then go.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
^^. I have to unlearn the "lean the hand on the shifter because it's at the right placement for that", otherwise I run the risk of hitting the "P".
Good point! I missed resting my right hand on the Gen 2 Volt's shifter. Felt cool like I was driving manual.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
The user interface on the Bolt was imagined and designed so as to enable a life-long/unconscious ICE driver to get in and go with little confusion as to operation and feedback.

Compare this with the BMW I-drive and the M-B user interface which will often confound even long-time owners. (Our son's BMW 535i just had a major HVAC hassle because he was unaware a service tech had changed a crucial instruction buried several levels deep in the I-Drive.)

If an EV designer reimagines the driver/EV interface, assuming no prior experience/prejudice, the Bolt would operate very differently. The shifter would operate differently, probably with L being the default and D have to be selected as an option. The selector would definitely not be a large lever in the console and would not be so far from the Power; yet another attempt to idiot-proof.

For example, I now no longer ever select Park when exiting the vehicle. Just pushing Power accomplishes both tasks and that's my default. On rare hot summer stops, I will select Park, leaving the AC operating and lock the car to run in and out. That's now an optional instruction.

Very soon now, the "mobile device" will be an integral part of most every vehicle's system. There will be a universal parking spot which automatically interfaces with navigation, audio and telecommunication. Voice commands for Power, Reverse, Forward/Regen are already there waiting.

jack vines

·
Registered
173 Posts
^^ if I can disable the park button on the shifter and just use your method then I can go back to my lazy ICE ways!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hit the wall! The odd shift sequence of the Bolt EV might to blame for my wife hitting the forward garage wall this week. She said the car was too far forward in the garage so she put it in Reverse (she thought) to back up, but it was actually in Drive and she went forward too quickly to avoid hitting the garage wall.

I recall a similar D vs R error myself at least once in the 7 months that we have owned this 2019 model. Does anyone know why the shifting method was changed to be so different than all other ICE automatics? Why does it have to involve holding a button down while pushing and rocking to the side? Chevy did such a great job of making the car drive controls the same as other cars in all other ways. If they wanted it different, I think push buttons for every position PRNDL would have been just fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you mean a Gen 1 or Gen 2 Volt? I for one liked the Gen 2 Volt shifter. Call me old fashioned, but I liked the visceral feel of shifting by feel and counting the "clicks" of the shifter to quickly go from R to D to R to D again.

I have a Gen 2 Volt and a Bolt.
Love the regen characteristics of the Bolt but hate the shifter.

I'm a back-in parking spot guy so the Volt is superior when you need to do it quickly. Shifting into reverse while still moving forward is not doable in most cars.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts