Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
VW ID.4 (crossover) will be $40-42.5K MSRP with $7500 tax credit. Plans to adjust MSRP as VW reaches 200K sales and tax credit sunsets.

GM had decided to use "incentive cash" to adjust the OTD price, which results in extra sales tax paid by the consumer. GM is pricing itself out of the market.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yeah, the taxes really suck that they base it on the pre-discounted prices (true for everything I guess like tech component rebates too so it's standard).

It does adds a much larger chunk compared to other things (you can get a 40k MSRP car for 20k+) since there are so many rebates for EVs and a lot of us calculate our fed/state/utlity credits too in the cost so the tax is an overly sized portion when most buy an EV.

If I wasn't in a time crunch, I think I would've waited till the 2020s were plentiful and they started offering deals on those, but tax is still based before the $6500 GM rebate and if you added all the rebates, it's another $1k+ in taxes.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I guess it depends on the state you live in.

In California : sales (not leases) of autos, sales tax is based on the price you pay for the car, and the sales taxes for leases are paid monthly, and calculated on your monthly payment (pre-tax).

Maybe you guys should move to CA ...

·
Registered
1,549 Posts

In California : sales (not leases) of autos, sales tax is based on the price you pay for the car, and the sales taxes for leases are paid monthly, and calculated on your monthly payment (pre-tax).

~~I think @p7wang lives in California~~, [update] but I was wrong.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

May be moving to Cali in a couple of years.

I was referring to the GM Factory Rebate. On my invoice slip, it was deducted after sales tax. Did your invoice show that to be before application of sales tax?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am in CA actually...but yeah, GM discount rebates ($6,500) is after the sales tax (higher amount). I didn't want to lease since I qualified for additional rebates in CA and didn't want to have a monthly payment since plan to refinance home in a bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts