Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

221 - 240 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
First drive, first impressions of the Continental PureContact LS tires.

Smooth, quiet and so much nicer than the OEM tires. It's raining here today and the wet traction is night and day difference. It felt like a different car driving home as compared to driving to the shop.

Granted this is just from one short drive, so we shall see how they are highway and with longer drive time. So far I am impressed though, and they are way cheaper than the OEM tires as well, got them for $120 per tire compared to $200 per tire for OEM.
Nice! Do keep us posted - would be interesting to know if these tires result in any significant or noticeable differences in terms of range/efficiency.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I can tell you in my recent experience of replacing my tires, I first went with the Michelin "reputation" model tire. They feel great but are terrible on range. I called back to tell them I needed to have them switched to something different. The new person I spoke with was surprised I got setup with those tires in the first place. They are replacing with the Michelin "energy saver a/s." I will let you know how those turn out. Oh bye the way... a lot of shops will sipe by default. He said they would NOT do that this time as that also affects range.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Nice! Do keep us posted - would be interesting to know if these tires result in any significant or noticeable differences in terms of range/efficiency.
I expect they will not be as efficient as the OEM tires, I mean those things are like rocks. I don't know if it will be a significant difference in miles per kWh, but I expect there will be some. I mean you can't get better traction without giving up some energy efficiency but I am ok with that if it makes the car safer and more predictable overall.

I will say though, it has been raining every day since I got the tires and I haven't spun or lost traction once without trying to. Before with the OEM tires I would spin them pretty consistently in the rain or slide some, without trying to.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I will say though, it has been raining every day since I got the tires and I haven't spun or lost traction once without trying to. Before with the OEM tires I would spin them pretty consistently in the rain or slide some, without trying to.
Can't agree with you more. Still have the OEMs on our Bolt, and I constantly have to be super careful about my acceleration habits during wet road conditions. The Bolt is actually predictable here in the sense that you just know that it'll slip at some point if you punch it while the road's wet. :D

·
Registered
975 Posts
I can tell you in my recent experience of replacing my tires, I first went with the Michelin "reputation" model tire. They feel great but are terrible on range. I called back to tell them I needed to have them switched to something different. The new person I spoke with was surprised I got setup with those tires in the first place. They are replacing with the Michelin "energy saver a/s." I will let you know how those turn out. Oh bye the way... a lot of shops will sipe by default. He said they would NOT do that this time as that also affects range.
Aren't the Michelin Energy Saver tires the OEM tires, sans the SelfSeal?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Can't agree with you more. Still have the OEMs on our Bolt, and I constantly have to be super careful about my acceleration habits during wet road conditions. The Bolt is actually predictable here in the sense that you just know that it'll slip at some point if you punch it while the road's wet. :D
I assume we drive in fairly similar conditions, weather wise, so my results should match up with you well. I am in Northern Virginia.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Once we know what all wheel specs are, I bet you can buy a donut spare and of course jacks and wrenches are easy to come by. Assembling a kit to carry with you would be pretty easy.
Good luck finding the jackpoints. And there are no spots on the pinch weld that look appropriate. Literally no help from the manual. I had roadside from a tire company come out and they jacked at the springs. Not sure if that was such a good idea.

·
Registered
544 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
By the way, I'll add my spare tire experience to this thread: I was able to fit a mounted, inflated stock tire on a stock wheel in the lower cargo compartment, and the false floor (just) fits on top of it. In fact the wheel and tire make a great support for the false floor so that you don't have to worry about it sagging if you put something heavy on top of it.

The tire & wheel is a tight fit - you have to lower the front edge of the tire (the edge closest to the front of the car) first and then drop the rear edge into place. When I first tried fitting the tire in there I lowered its rear edge first and couldn't get it into place.

With the tire in place there is a fair bit of space available along its left and right sides for additional equipment such as a jack, wrecking bar, first aid kit, etc.

So that is the stock 215/50/R17 tire? I measured the space in my Bolt and it seems it should fit - barely. I am picking up a Chevy Sonic wheel from a salvage yard today ($85.00) so need to decide to have a stock tire installed on it or a 0.4" smaller diameter 205/50/R17. Thanks!
Edit: Never mind. Just found your post #136 with photos.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
So that is the stock 215/50/R17 tire? I measured the space in my Bolt and it seems it should fit - barely. I am picking up a Chevy Sonic wheel from a salvage yard today ($85.00) so need to decide to have a stock tire installed on it or a 0.4" smaller diameter 205/50/R17. Thanks!
Edit: Never mind. Just found your post #136 with photos.
Yep, "barely fit" is a pretty good description of the fore-aft clearance. Here are a couple more photos showing how I ended up configuring my lower storage compartment. I banged together a couple of storage trays which makes it really easy to unload everything in case I need the extra space:

Lots of room for all sorts of goodies down there along with the spare, and then the false floor goes very nicely on top. I bought two cargo mats, one for the bottom of the lower storage compartment and one to go on top of the false floor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought this full-size 15x6" rim from Amazon:

Road Ready Car Wheel For 2012-2016 Chevrolet Sonic 15 Inch 5 Lug Black Steel Rim Fits R15 Tire - Exact OEM Replacement - Full-Size Spar

I also bought this tire:
Hankook Kinergy ST H735 all_ Season Radial Tire-205/65R15 94T

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I admit I haven't had time to read all 233 replies but I'll go ahead with my post anyway.

I've had my leased 2019 bolt for a little over a month now (just 1700 miles) and exiting my daughter's school parking lot today, cut the corner a little tight and the right rear wheel clunked into a big pothole (which I admit, I knew was there, having hit it before). What I wasn't expecting was two seconds later to hear the flap, flap, flap of a flat tire.

I had just turned in a Volt lease (which also has no spare), but I was surprised to find that in the Bolt, there is not even a fix-a-flat kit (though perhaps it would have not made a difference in this case). Hitting a pothole at 5-10 mph, while annoying, is not what I would have considered a severe enough incident to cause a flat tire. I've actually hit it once or twice before (probably in the Volt). Maybe this was just bad luck, but if this is all it takes to get a flat in the Bolt, I will definitely want to have some kind of spare on hand. Having to get a tow is incredibly inconvenient. Luckily I was not in some out-of-the way place.

I see the there is (or was) a mini-donut spare kit available for the Bolt, but I don't see that it is available anymore. There may be one or two used kits available on E-Bay. Is there really no mini-spare kit available from GM for this car? This seems crazy.

I have mounted snows from my Volt (which has the same size tires), so when I get my car back, I'll see whether or not one of those tires can fit back there (and get a jack) - though I admit that I like having the extra space under the false floor.

-J

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you just drive around town, and have another vehicle in family, you can just reside the spare tire in your garage until it's needed.

I regularly drive for 110-120 mile on interstate, and I'm willing to sacrifice some cargo space for a full size spare.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
If you just drive around town, and have another vehicle in family, you can just reside the spare tire in your garage until it's needed.
When I had my flat I was about a mile and a half from my work and about 10 miles from my house, still took me several hours to get back on the road. Even if I already had the spare waiting at home it would have taken at least 90 minutes to walk to where I could borrow a vehicle from work, drive home & back and change the tire.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I see the there is (or was) a mini-donut spare kit available for the Bolt, but I don't see that it is available anymore. There may be one or two used kits available on E-Bay. Is there really no mini-spare kit available from GM for this car? This seems crazy.
I'm virtually certain that GM never made or sold a spare tire kit for the Bolt. You have seen some advertised as being for the Bolt pop up on eBay but those are just spare tire kits that come from other vehicles that have the same bolt pattern as the Bolt and I've never seen one that comes with a jack that is suitable for use with a Bolt. Basically it's eBay sellers seeing a market for a Bolt spare tire and taking advantage of it even though no official spare tire available.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Yolo brings up a good point about having a spare in your garage versus no spare at all. There is value in having a garage spare if you just drive around town and you need to use that cargo space. Its how I handle one of my other cars with no place for a spare, had to use it once. Was glad it was in the garage ready to go. Either get towed home, or call to have it delivered to you. Instead of being towed to a random closest tire joint. Put on your spare and take your time finding the correct tire for the right price.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Matched full size rim with matched tread tire mounted on the wall or on a horizontal wheel holder is what I roll with.

Kept in the GARAGE. I don't take my Bolt into the boonies, and even if I drive 150 miles away, I'm confident that I could arrange to leave the Bolt somewhere, get back home, and get the full sized spare.

ALSO you have an extra tire to rotate in for five tire rotations.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
ALSO you have an extra tire to rotate in for five tire rotations.
One thing to keep in mind if you do this is that many tires are directional and are only designed to be rolled in one direction, you can rotate these front to back all you want but you can't rotate them from one side to the other without having them removed from the wheel and remounted. I recommend that any tire you use as a spare be a non-directional design which won't care which direction it's spinning.

https://www.farmandfleet.com/blog/directional-tires-pros-and-cons/

221 - 240 of 262 Posts