Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sure, but with a blown out sidewall or other major damage beyond the ability of the tires to seal, the fixaflat is not going to seal it either, right? With smaller, sealable damage, you don't need the fixaflat to reinflate, since the tires won't deflate in the first place. So, fixaflat adds little or nothing to the OEM selfsealing tires. Am I missing something?

I'm thinking your approach is best - good summer tires (we don't really have winter in Southern California) and carry a can of fixaflat.
You're right Phil, I would only carry the can because I'm not going to keep the stock tires. Using the optimal tires for the season is always..well, optimal.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Most of the time, nothing really happens to the stock tires and my old set are testament of that after 9 years. But to have a spare just gives you a peace of mind and you won't have to wait forever for a tow truck to arrive.

·
Registered
730 Posts
IMO if you live in an area that gets good response times from road side assistance then there's not much to worry about. Make sure you're signed up for some service like that and keep a tire patch kit. Far more common to find a small puncture where you still have lots of time left to drive on it versus going completely flat in an instant.

·
Super Moderator
2,548 Posts
IMO if you live in an area that gets good response times from road side assistance then there's not much to worry about. Make sure you're signed up for some service like that and keep a tire patch kit. Far more common to find a small puncture where you still have lots of time left to drive on it versus going completely flat in an instant.
Exactly and the tire pressure monitoring system should help with that.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Roadside assistance is included with the 3 years of OnStar. Has anyone ever had the pleasure of using this service with a flat tire and no spare? Ladogboy tried to use it in California, but he had no cellphone or service with OnStar, so it was not useful for him.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Does anyone notice that with morning and night's temperature changes, the tire pressure can change in range as far as 5 psi ? (in my case 35 ~ 40)

Also the front left always seems to get higher ?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Totally normal with temp fluctuation. In my case, the tires on the drivers side of the car get warmer faster because of how the sun hits the car. Test them mid day with the sun hitting the car equally.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
if someone could come up something like this for the Bolt, would be awesome :)

http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Build_your_own_spare_tire_kit_with_quality_Chevrolet_OEM_Parts_for_around_$150

·
Registered
14 Posts
if someone could come up something like this for the Bolt, would be awesome :)

http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Build_your_own_spare_tire_kit_with_quality_Chevrolet_OEM_Parts_for_around_$150
That link doesn't work - can you post a working link for us to see?

·
Registered
14 Posts
N/m, I got over my laziness and found it myself.

According to my research the tire size is the same as the Gen 2 Volt so this should work

·
Registered
979 Posts
If you frequent areas with spotty cell coverage. And you refuse to pay for OnStar after the 6 months free, even the cheapest “safe & sound” (or whatever they call it now) plan. And there’s no 4G LTE wifi for you, because you refused OnStar. But now, you fear tearing up a sidewall if you bounce off a tree stump.

BTW: you get Roadside Assistance whether or not you pay for Onstar. But still need a cell signal to call Roadside.

Solution: get one of these fixtured onto your Bolt ! : Additional benefit: has that adventurer-cool look to it, eh ? Then you’d just need to find and install a “woody” wagon side panel treatment onto your Bolt to complete the effect. You’ll be all good for the high country !

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
N/m, I got over my laziness and found it myself.

According to my research the tire size is the same as the Gen 2 Volt so this should work
that's great, thanks for confirming !!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a full size oem volt Gen 2 rim and tire. I bought it after I had a confrontation on the freeway with a piece of metal after only 800 miles on the car (volt). The tire inflator kit didn't fix it as it was a sidewall cut.

I can't afford delays because of flat tires and even run flats are only good for 50-100 miles or so. So I need a full size spare until I have time to fix it.

I made my dealer put on my spare rim and tire on the bolt and they confirmed that it works without problem.

not only that but the spare with tools fits perfectly under the false floor in the truck, so it's out of sight and doesn't really take any space away on a daily basis.

I went with the oem rim for the volt as none of the aftermarket rims did fit at the time and I had a 50% off coupon from Costco that made it a "reasonable" $250 - well worth my piece of mind.

·
Super Moderator
2,548 Posts
I have a full size oem volt Gen 2 rim and tire. I bought it after I had a confrontation on the freeway with a piece of metal after only 800 miles on the car (volt). The tire inflator kit didn't fix it as it was a sidewall cut.

I can't afford delays because of flat tires and even run flats are only good for 50-100 miles or so. So I need a full size spare until I have time to fix it.

I made my dealer put on my spare rim and tire on the bolt and they confirmed that it works without problem.

not only that but the spare with tools fits perfectly under the false floor in the truck, so it's out of sight and doesn't really take any space away on a daily basis.

I went with the oem rim for the volt as none of the aftermarket rims did fit at the time and I had a 50% off coupon from Costco that made it a "reasonable" $250 - well worth my piece of mind.
That's cool! I'd love to see how you packaged the spare, jack and wrench under the floor. Did you keep the 120v charger, or just leave it at home?

·
Registered
95 Posts
That's cool! I'd love to see how you packaged the spare, jack and wrench under the floor. Did you keep the 120v charger, or just leave it at home?

i'll post a pic when I can. everything is tucked away under the "false floor" plus some other items too ... so my trunk is still "empty"

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
The Bolt's false floor is pretty deep, but I didn't think it was an extra tire kind of deep. I too would like to see a picture of how it fits.
Does the false floor fit perfectly over it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'd also gotten a compact/donut style spare for our Bolt. Here's some details that I hope might help. I started with a used 2015 Chevy Cruze compact spare wheel, which is a 16" vs the 17" wheel standard for the Bolt. To come as close as possible to the Bolt's wheel & tire diameter of 25.6 inches, I bought a compact spare tire (size 135/90R16) giving the combined overall diameter of 25.5 inches. Clearance for the wheel and brake caliper/suspension is good, with about 1/2" clearance. I'd suggest talking to your Chevy dealers service department and getting a copy of the Bolt EV Service Manual - Document 4538698. This shows the underside of the Bolt and (seeing how the car does not come with a spare, there are no visible marked jacking points) the image and points for "Lift and Jacking the Vehicle". To avoid damage by accidentally lifting against the underside of the battery cover or other weak spots, I'd highly recommend this document. If the dealer is reluctant to provide this, contact me and I'd be glad to share a copy. The spare tire fits nicely under the false floor laying flat allowing for the cover to fit normally in place. This, along with a scissors jack and lug wrench for the 19mm lug nuts, was all I needed. The car's lug nuts fit nicely onto the Chevy Cruze 16" spare wheel.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 254 Posts
About this Discussion
253 Replies
65 Participants
raitchison
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing