Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was a bit disappointed to discover that my front tires are just about worn out after 41k of mostly highway miles. These are the OEM Michelin EnergySavers, and while I was never that impressed by their traction, I'd hoped they'd last a bit longer.

Curious what sort of life others are getting out of these?

For reference, my last FWD vehicle, a Honda del Sol, generally managed 60-70k, though those were Michelin Pilot sport A/S. Granted that vehicle was about the opposite of the Bolt in terms of torque, but I also drove it a lot harder...

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
For reference, my Honda del Sol, generally managed 60-70k, , but I also drove it a lot harder...
Yes, Hondas are torque wimps, but wonderful, lightweight cars overall. The del Sol weighs 2400# and the Bolt weighs 3600#, so on the same tire, loaded 50% heavier.

"Harder" is a relative, subjective judgement. In sixty years of car ownership, I've never imagined getting 70,000 miles from a set of tires.

jack vines

·
Registered
590 Posts
Around 30k I'll hit the wear bars.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
60,000 miles for me, and I drive my car hard. But, I rotated them fairly regularly, and I know that they do NOT make noise when you smoke them, so I don't floor it from a stop most of the time. It always surprises me when people can't tell they are spinning the tires unless they hear it squeal.

Also, it surprises me that people don't know you get better acceleration if you pay attention to (and minimize) wheel spin.

Keith

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
At 50k I felt the OEM tires were not as safe to drive in the rain anymore so I swapped out at that point

·
Registered
2017 LT upgraded to 2020 Premier
62 Posts
I got 45k when the front two had little tread left but the rear two had much more. Costco refused to rotate, so I replaced 4 for about $700.

·
Registered
660 Posts
About 13k miles on the tires (2k miles on winter set).

I just rotated them and rear is almost at the wear bars, fronts are about 1.5 mm to the bars.

Heavy foot.

In short EVs due to the torque being right there, right now, and always - will eat the tires much faster.
Keep the power below 50 kW and they will last longer.

None of my cars ever lasted the advertised tire wear...

·
Premium Member
2021 chevy bolt premier ev
92 Posts
Was a bit disappointed to discover that my front tires are just about worn out after 41k of mostly highway miles. These are the OEM Michelin EnergySavers, and while I was never that impressed by their traction, I'd hoped they'd last a bit longer.

For reference, my last FWD vehicle, a Honda del Sol, generally managed 60-70k, though those were Michelin Pilot sport A/S. Granted that vehicle was about the opposite of the Bolt in terms of torque, but I also drove it a lot harder...
You have a 68,000 Michelin trader warranty on those tires, check with a dealer on replacing them

·
Registered
660 Posts
You have a 68,000 Michelin trader warranty on those tires, check with a dealer on replacing them
Not gonna happen... YMMV. Period. Even a blowouts during warranty periods are hard to get covered.
This could work if you had "road hazard warranty" on them through a tire shop. Otherwise - suck it up. I have been there and tried that.
And I am the best example that driving style has a significant impact on the wear.

Reactions: iRon

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
I haven't worn out my first set of tires yet, but based on the rate of wear it looks like I'm going to get perhaps 60,000 km (40K miles) on the fronts, which I haven't rotated. I do swap the fronts out each winter with snow tires, but the 60,000 km is how far the tires have actually traveled on the car. Looks like the snow tires (Michelin X-Ice XI3) are going to need to be replaced at perhaps 50,000 km (a little over 30K miles)

The rears have been on the car continuously since it was new, they have 85,000 km on them (somewhat over 50K miles) and they've only lost a couple of mm of tread. It looks like they're going to last forever.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Not gonna happen... YMMV. Period. Even a blowouts during warranty periods are hard to get covered. . . . I have been there and tried that.
For true. In an earlier life, I did a brief stint as a Goodyear Service Manager. OEM tire tread wear warranties are written with so much fine print and qualifiers they are essentially useless. If one has the brass-bound-determination to push for a tread wear warranty replacement, the out-the-door cost usually is the same as a new tire on sale.

jack vines

·
Registered
288 Posts
I haven't worn out my first set of tires yet, but based on the rate of wear it looks like I'm going to get perhaps 60,000 km (40K miles) on the fronts, which I haven't rotated. I do swap the fronts out each winter with snow tires, but the 60,000 km is how far the tires have actually traveled on the car. Looks like the snow tires (Michelin X-Ice XI3) are going to need to be replaced at perhaps 50,000 km (a little over 30K miles)

The rears have been on the car continuously since it was new, they have 85,000 km on them (somewhat over 50K miles) and they've only lost a couple of mm of tread. It looks like they're going to last forever.
I'm really curious - why don't you rotate?

Anyways, two of my OEMs are at/near the wear bars after 52k hard miles. Hoping to get to 60+ now that I just rotated.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt LT - Gunmetal Gray
66 Posts

The Bolt CHEWS through tires. I work at a car dealership, just had my Bolt's tires rotated, and when I told our service guy what car I have he said "Yeah we see that a lot. The Chevy Bolts go through tires so quickly compared to like, every other car out there."

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
I'm really curious - why don't you rotate?
It's easier not to! 😜

On all my previous cars (which have all been front wheel drive), alternating summer and snow tires on just the front wheels meant that they got about half the road time of my rears and ended up wearing out at about the same time as they did. Looks like that's not going to be the case with the Bolt. I may have to start rotating... 😥

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
The Bolt CHEWS through tires. I work at a car dealership, just had my Bolt's tires rotated, and when I told our service guy what car I have he said "Yeah we see that a lot. The Chevy Bolts go through tires so quickly compared to like, every other car out there."
One has to learn to moderate the power so as not to eat through tires.

LOL

Reactions: Rebel1996

·
Registered
143 Posts
I seem to spin the tired the most when making a right turn and joining incoming traffic. It makes me wonder if there is any limited slip differential type thing on the transaxel? If both tires are spinning at the same speed when going around every turn it could result in more tire wear.
Also any little bump the back tires hit makes the fronts unloaded.
I did suprise myself when going through a toll boot at 35MPH and I floored it to get ahead of this idiot driver. I made the tires squeal! That was fun. The idiot driver hit the brakes because they were an idiot.
I love the power of the Bolt it's so much fun.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I replaced the tires on my 2017 at 45,000 miles. One was showing the wear bars, the others were at about 1/8" tread depth, which is generally considered "minimum". Rotated every 7500 miles. Did not keep my foot out of it, but didn't really "drive it like I stole it", either.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
One has to learn to moderate the power so as not to eat through tires.
I'm pretty conservative with the power, I don't often exceed 30kW or so when accelerating from a stop on level ground. And I try to take sharp corners (at intersections, for example) at a sedate speed. But I'm a bit surprised at how fast the fronts tires are wearing compared to the rears. I think the extra weight of the Bolt compared to my other cars means they have to work a lot harder on acceleration, braking and steering.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts