Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

Registered
I'm pretty conservative with the power, I don't often exceed 30kW or so when accelerating from a stop on level ground. And I try to take sharp corners (at intersections, for example) at a sedate speed. But I'm a bit surprised at how fast the fronts tires are wearing compared to the rears. I think the extra weight of the Bolt compared to my other cars means they have to work a lot harder on acceleration, braking and steering.
Front wheel drive cars wear the front tires faster.

Reactions: DiodeBill

Registered
It's easier not to! 馃槣

On all my previous cars (which have all been front wheel drive), alternating summer and snow tires on just the front wheels meant that they got about half the road time of my rears and ended up wearing out at about the same time as they did.
Seems like winter tires in front and non-winter tires in back could give some odd handling characteristics -- in snow and ice, the front will have more grip than the back, while in other conditions, the back will have more grip than the front, neither of which the car's suspension or electronic stability control was designed to handle.

Registered
Front wheel drive cars wear the front tires faster.
Well, duh!

I've been driving front wheel drive cars for four decades now, and none of them have worn the front tires so much more quickly than the rears as the Bolt. As I described in my post above, I've never had to rotate the fronts to the rears and vice versa because swapping the fronts only between summer and winter tires so that each is on the car for about half the time has always resulted in pretty similar wear. In other words, the fronts have always worn down at about twice the rate of the rears. The Bolt seems to be considerably harder than that on the front tires, based on what I've seen so far.

Registered
Seems like winter tires in front and non-winter tires in back could give some odd handling characteristics -- in snow and ice, the front will have more grip than the back, while in other conditions, the back will have more grip than the front, neither of which the car's suspension or electronic stability control was designed to handle.
Never been a problem for me. I don't drive on a track, I'm a conservative driver who's aware of the limits of the car and stays well within them. Four decades of driving and I haven't spun out yet...

Registered
Well, duh!

I've been driving front wheel drive cars for four decades now, and none of them have worn the front tires so much more quickly than the rears as the Bolt. As I described in my post above, I've never had to rotate the fronts to the rears and vice versa because swapping the fronts only between summer and winter tires so that each is on the car for about half the time has always resulted in pretty similar wear. In other words, the fronts have always worn down at about twice the rate of the rears. The Bolt seems to be considerably harder than that on the front tires, based on what I've seen so far.
Have you driven a hybrid before? Hybrids wear out the front tires fast too.

Registered
Have you driven a hybrid before? Hybrids wear out the front tires fast too.
I drove a Prius C, but when the Bolt became available I sold it before I had a chance to wear out any of the tires. It was a great little car, I'm sure I would have kept it a long time if I hadn't been itching to get into a pure EV.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks folks for the feedback. Seems that 40k miles is not too far off the norm. Warranty doesn't apply since I didn't rotate them (and even if I had, the discount would be pro-rated vs. MSRP which would still be more than the actual price paid).

For the next set, I'll try to make sure they get rotated...

Registered
Was a bit disappointed to discover that my front tires are just about worn out after 41k of mostly highway miles. These are the OEM Michelin EnergySavers, and while I was never that impressed by their traction, I'd hoped they'd last a bit longer.

Curious what sort of life others are getting out of these?

For reference, my last FWD vehicle, a Honda del Sol, generally managed 60-70k, though those were Michelin Pilot sport A/S. Granted that vehicle was about the opposite of the Bolt in terms of torque, but I also drove it a lot harder...
I have the same tires. I have 41k miles on them. I have never rotated the tires. I drive all highway miles. I have always been impressed with the traction of them in winter and rain. I also have a lot of tread left I don't know when they will wear out but I will buy them again.

Registered
Was a bit disappointed to discover that my front tires are just about worn out after 41k of mostly highway miles. These are the OEM Michelin EnergySavers, and while I was never that impressed by their traction, I'd hoped they'd last a bit longer.

For reference, my last FWD vehicle, a Honda del Sol, generally managed 60-70k, though those were Michelin Pilot sport A/S. Granted that vehicle was about the opposite of the Bolt in terms of torque, but I also drove it a lot harder...
I get surprised to, each 5 months I rotate the tires the car have 18,200 miles, and almost run out, the Cross climate 2 arrived yesterday and I just picked up at Costco.

I posted for the same reason, I take the car for rotations each 5 months, the odometer read less than 19000 and I replaced today for Cross Climate 2. I really expected replacing tires at 60000 but I can鈥檛 understand.

Registered
I get surprised to, each 5 months I rotate the tires the car have 18,200 miles, and almost run out, the Cross climate 2 arrived yesterday and I just picked up at Costco.

I posted for the same reason, I take the car for rotations each 5 months, the odometer read less than 19000 and I replaced today for Cross Climate 2. I really expected replacing tires at 60000 but I can鈥檛 understand. View attachment 35584

Registered
I just replaced mine at 30k miles yesterday, but I only rotated them once. There is NO warranty on the OE Michelins, but the replacement set of the same is warranted for 65k miles. Hope I remember to rotate every 6k miles to maintain the warranty.

Registered

I rotate mine every 5-6,000 miles. At the first rotation after 40,000 miles I was told that they were approaching the legal limit so I replaced them the next time they went on sale

Registered
I just replaced mine at 30k miles yesterday, but I only rotated them once. There is NO warranty on the OE Michelins, but the replacement set of the same is warranted for 65k miles. Hope I remember to rotate every 6k miles to maintain the warranty.
They tell me is according on how much is left. I need try something different. This new tires are more soft, quite and feels like you are driving on cotton. Totally different to all I drive before
I rotate mine every 5-6,000 miles. At the first rotation after 40,000 miles I was told that they were approaching the legal limit so I replaced them the next time they went on sale
if I鈥檓 not alone with this, my only explanation is the torque and the regeneration brakes are some of the factors. Plus I really enjoy driving this car. Is fun. And I need control my enjoyment. Is more chip replace tires to fix the brakes. And lost time at the dealer. I don鈥檛 know why I love avoid my visits to the dealership鈥 must be all the (things) they add wen you negotiate the price, options and add ones.

Registered
I got 45k when the front two had little tread left but the rear two had much more. Costco refused to rotate, so I replaced 4 for about $700.
Per the manual, rotate at 6.5K. The way this buggy operates... it is stupid not to follow manufacturers recommendation... or you will suffer the consequences.

Registered
Well, duh!

Not duh. The EV's are different than ICE not comparison to the power and regen braking. 6500 miles and rotate!!!!

Registered
2021 Premier Slate Gry Blk Int, 240/32a EVSE w/NEMA15-40

And, where do you live/drive?

Registered
2021 Premier Slate Gry Blk Int, 240/32a EVSE w/NEMA15-40
The Bolt CHEWS through tires. I work at a car dealership, just had my Bolt's tires rotated, and when I told our service guy what car I have he said "Yeah we see that a lot. The Chevy Bolts go through tires so quickly compared to like, every other car out there."
Any suggestions for new tires that wear better, especially on Bolts?

21 - 40 of 59 Posts