Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
And, where do you live/drive?
California - SF bay area. Most mileage is accumulated on highway/freeway driving, though there's a decent bit of local roads mixed in too. No traffic (happily) since I stopped commuting thanks to the pandemic.

I certainly do try to keep my tires as long as possible...

Registered
You're disappointed with 40k miles?!? Really?
I probably could've turned my 3yr lease in on the original tires with 24k miles on them, had it not been for the right front going out of alignment and balding the inner circumference. Had to buy a whole new set, then I turned the car in a month later! Alignment guy said that with brand new cars, it's a good idea to have the alignment checked after the first 2500 miles in case something settled or was not right from the factory. Advice I'm following with my new Bolt!
BTW, I replaced tires every 24kmi on my WRX. Take 40k and be happy!馃槈

Registered
Was a bit disappointed to discover that my front tires are just about worn out after 41k of mostly highway miles. These are the OEM Michelin EnergySavers, and while I was never that impressed by their traction, I'd hoped they'd last a bit longer.

Curious what sort of life others are getting out of these?

For reference, my last FWD vehicle, a Honda del Sol, generally managed 60-70k, though those were Michelin Pilot sport A/S. Granted that vehicle was about the opposite of the Bolt in terms of torque, but I also drove it a lot harder...
If tire wear trumps kWh efficiency, drive in D mode to relax the Regen torque.

Registered
2021 Bolt LT
Every new car I have had has had mediocre tires that did not last. I imagine its a cost thing.
My Miata came with these great Bridgestones on it; they handled great, it was like it was glued to the road; they would not turn loose. They only lasted 18000 miles. (I do drive hard.) Replacing them with the same tires was very expensive. I have a 100 mile round trip to work. I couldn't afford to buy a $1000 set of tires every 9 months. So I settled for less well handling tires.

About the third set of tires I bought I got Continental Extreme Contact DWS they handled almost as well as the originals and lasted about three times as long.

I think Mazda went with high cost, soft compound tires so the handling would get them good reviews and test drives. They didn't care how they lasted once you bought the car.

Registered
Also for the EPA fuel economy rating. Many have replaced their OEM tires and realized their MPG dropped afterwards.

Reactions: Curt

Registered
I get surprised to, each 5 months I rotate the tires the car have 18,200 miles, and almost run out, the Cross climate 2 arrived yesterday and I just picked up at Costco.
When you get enough miles on the CrossClimate 2 tires, would you be able to determine what effect on economy and range they have versus the OEM tires?

Registered
Every new car I have had has had mediocre tires that did not last. I imagine its a cost thing.
I have generally gotten good tread life out of OEM tires (probably will get 60,000 miles out of the OEM tires on the Bolt), but I do drive relatively gently (no tire-spinning acceleration, looking ahead to anticipate stopping for the light that just turn red up ahead in order to slow down gradually for it, etc.) and keep tire air pressures up.

OEMs are usually looking for low rolling resistance and therefore better economy (not just on EVs). They are also presumably looking for low or reasonable cost, but the price per tire they get in a bulk deal with the tire company may be very different from what a retail customer sees when replacing tires. I.e. it is rather likely that Michelin tires are much more price competitive to other brands for OEMs buying in bulk than they are to retail customers.

Registered
I鈥檝e only had my 20 Bolt for a week and a half and only spun the tires once while testing sport mode. Coming from a 650hp Camaro and the cost of those tires, I tend to treat them more gently. I love my Bolt, by the way.

Registered
I鈥檝e only had my 20 Bolt for a week and a half and only spun the tires once while testing sport mode. Coming from a 650hp Camaro and the cost of those tires, I tend to treat them more gently. I love my Bolt, by the way.

Well, so what is the point of have 650 HP under the hood?
Or what is the point of having 266 lb*ft ready to be unleashed with a little screech?

Live your life :D
Of course, the way you like it. Just messing up with you.

Registered
Well, so what is the point of have 650 HP under the hood?
Or what is the point of having 266 lb*ft ready to be unleashed with a little screech?

Live your life :D
Of course, the way you like it. Just messing up with you.
The point of a 650 HP ride is: I'm getting old! Nuff said.

Registered
Was a bit disappointed to discover that my front tires are just about worn out after 41k of mostly highway miles. These are the OEM Michelin EnergySavers, and while I was never that impressed by their traction, I'd hoped they'd last a bit longer.

Curious what sort of life others are getting out of these?

For reference, my last FWD vehicle, a Honda del Sol, generally managed 60-70k, though those were Michelin Pilot sport A/S. Granted that vehicle was about the opposite of the Bolt in terms of torque, but I also drove it a lot harder...

I have 52K miles on my 2017 Bolt. Tires will prolly go at least another 20K. I rotate every 7500 miles.

Registered

Registered
I have 52K miles on my 2017 Bolt. Tires will prolly go at least another 20K. I rotate every 7500 miles.
Is there much advantage to rotating the tires repeatedly, vs. doing it just one time once the fronts start to get worn out?

Registered
Is there much advantage to rotating the tires repeatedly, vs. doing it just one time once the fronts start to get worn out?
Yes. Sometimes tires wear unevenly side to side as well. When your tires are rotated, they should end up in all 4 positions over time. Generally the drive tires will swap sides as they go back to front.

Registered
Yes. Sometimes tires wear unevenly side to side as well. When your tires are rotated, they should end up in all 4 positions over time. Generally the drive tires will swap sides as they go back to front.
I was always told that radial tires should be kept on the same side of the vehicle, and although I understand that this is no longer the case for most tires there are now a lot of unidirectional tread patterns that do need to stay on one side.

Registered
I was always told that radial tires should be kept on the same side of the vehicle, and although I understand that this is no longer the case for most tires there are now a lot of unidirectional tread patterns that do need to stay on one side.
Well sure, if you have a directional tread pattern on the tire, you don't want to move them side to side. On modern vehicles, directional tread patterns are usually only seen on performance tires.

Registered
Well sure, if you have a directional tread pattern on the tire, you don't want to move them side to side. On modern vehicles, directional tread patterns are usually only seen on performance tires.
They're also often seen on tires designed for use in wet climates.

Registered
My motorcycle and bicycle tires all have a directional indicator, but the Bolt doesn't, and appears symmetrical. That figures, because the manual says to rotate every 7500 with the fronts moving directly back and the backs swapping and moving front. I had the final burn recall done yesterday and let them take care of the rotation ($29, at 9,552 miles). Hopefully the next recall ends up being around 15,000 miles. :)

41 - 59 of 59 Posts