Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Chevy Bolt still poses no plans to be sold in the market in South Korea but they will be showing it off at the 2016 Korea Electronics Show.

From what I've read up and seen, a good amount of crucial parts are sourced from South Korea.. so why wouldn't they sell it there as well ?

·
Registered
786 Posts
South Korea is the most technically advanced nation of the Asian area, more even than Japan! They have their own brands of EVs (Hyundai and Kia), and they assemble the Chevy Spark EV there, too. Although LG (Lucky Goldstar) is the largest supplier of the Chevy Bolt EV battery and powertrain parts, there is competition to sell a North American product there. GM is wise to offer the product first in Noth America (this includes Canada), then by the second half of 2017 offer it elsewhere, especially in Europe as the Opel Ampera-e.

So I see that the Bolt EV could be offered in South Korea but maybe at the end of 2017 or the start of 2018. Only GM management knows their plans. We are guessing here for now.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't actually know that South Korea was that far ahead to be honest. I personally am not up to date in knowing these things so excuse my lack of knowledge lol. But I can see why it would be a good idea to market it there later on I guess. We just have to wait for the official word !

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Even if the Bolt EV will have more competition in Korea than elsewhere, wouldn't the long range give it an advantage in the market and draw in those who already own a lower range EV?

·
Registered
732 Posts
That can be one of them. Although competition is stiff there are always points of entry to a segment in its infancy like this. So another angle could be GM striking fleet deals to get these out as Taxi's/Uber's/etc. Just think back to how various brands have competed in the market you live in, it all comes down to looking for those exact points.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
The bolt is supposed to Debut today, but GM Korea didn't release and info about the Bolt fuel economy and pricing. That was done by the Electronics Show organizers. guess they're still gauging interest right now and that's why they'er taking a back seat?

update:

Found this from a Korean publication.

“Today, I am so pleased to officially announce that the game-changing Chevrolet Bolt EV will be introduced in Korea in the first half of 2017,” said James Kim, president and CEO of GM Korea, at the Korea Electronics Show.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was a lot faster than I expected. I thought they would've waited a couple months or so.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
The South Korean capital will offer residents up to 20 million won (about $18,245 at current exchange rates) if they purchase an electric car--but only from one of four designated carmakers.
Holy crap, that's half of what they would be paying for the Chevy Premier if they end up partnering with Chevy. Half off on a new car! And I assume people would want one if it's more than enough to drive from two major city, Seoul to Busan.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Moving to Korea for EV tax credits... that's a bit too extreme for me lol
You don't need to live in South Korea (North Korea is the opposite!) to enjoy just tax breaks. As I posted before, they are the most technically advanced nation in Asia, and their major car brands, Hyundai and Kia, have the mayority of their vehicles on the CR recommended list: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/types/new-a-to-z-index.htm

These two are displacing the Japanese brands worldwide with better products and lower prices, and their two major electronics brands, Samsung and LG (Lucky Goldstar) are also dominationg all their markets in the appliance and electronic fields. LG is the most advanced in the world with OLED TV screens, as stated by DisplayMate:
http://www.displaymate.com/LG_OLED_TV_ShootOut_1.htm

And Samsung is the best in smartphone screens:
http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S7_ShootOut_1.htm

So we can expect the LG battery and power components in the 2017 Chevy Bolt EV to be among the best for any BEV in the market, surpassing even Tesla Motors.;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts