Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting article about major car manufacturers vs. tech startup cars. I love the idea of innovations from the tech companies, but tend to agree with the sentiment of the article. I'm not even sure that Chevy/GM will be able to build and maintain this car to decent standards, let alone a theoretical ride from Apple or Google.

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/chevrolet-bolt-kill-apple-icar/

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I don't think it's really because of the Chevy Bolt. It just doesn't make much financial sense to start from scratch when they can just do what they're good at, programming, and build new assembly plants for cars that people may or may not buy.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
This is an interesting article indeed. I personally didn't have any hopes for the Apply iCar but did have high thoughts of it if that makes any sense ? As for the title of the article "Did the Chevy Bolt Kill the Apply iCar?" , I see no relevance in that as it's just not what happened.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
So they're moving forward with the autonomous drive program and then release a car when the system is perfected.

Apple Car employees were told that the technology development will move forward until late 2017, at which time decisions will be made concerning the feasibility and official direction of the project.
It's still up in the air and we won't know until later next year if they'll put the program in another automaker's car or come out with their own icar.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Once the program is still continuing development, I think that's really the main thing. So nonetheless, even if they don't come out with a car, the tech itself will still be implemented.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Well... you can see this as them "starting short" rolling out the tech first and then bringing in other complementary parts that are still just as vital like a full vehicle. This boosts their ROI while trimming potential losses in the billions. Probe the market, monitor, move up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts