Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone on here drove the Hyundai Kona and compared it to the Bolt? I have watched a ton of reviews and they tend to lean toward the kona. I am in houston and I cant test drive either due to the fact that no dealerships sell them here. If you buy one they will have it shipped but just apprehensive about buying something that i cant test drive.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Sooo, you're interested in two cars that aren't available in your area. That should stop you in your tracks. What do you think the service will be like? Think they will hire a mechanic trained in electric cars just for you? And purchase expensive diagnostic equipment for him? No way.

Unless you are a dedicated masochist, stay away from cars the have no maintenance support. Perhaps there is a Nissan dealer in your area with experience with Leafs. That may be a better bet.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
OTOH, the Bolt is so stone reliable, mine has not been back to the dealer since we drove it out of there more than two years ago.

Having driven both, the Bolt is the better car. The Kona has a few bells and whistles we miss on the Bolt, but I'd still choose the Bolt.

jack vines

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Sooo, you're interested in two cars that aren't available in your area. That should stop you in your tracks. What do you think the service will be like? Think they will hire a mechanic trained in electric cars just for you? And purchase expensive diagnostic equipment for him? No way.

Unless you are a dedicated masochist, stay away from cars the have no maintenance support. Perhaps there is a Nissan dealer in your area with experience with Leafs. That may be a better bet.
Best I can tell, the Bolt is available in Houston, TX

·
Registered
342 Posts
I was a bit confused because while the Kona is only sold in a handful of states (which is why I'd never own one), the Bolt is sold everywhere. I googled chevy dealerships in the Houston area. First one that comes up is Mac Haik Chevrolet (closest to Houston). They have 11 (eleven) Bolts in stock for you to test drive!

Mike

·
Registered
136 Posts
The nearest Kona EV was 90 miles from me, but after sitting in a Kona and putting a car seat in the back seat, and that made the determination for me to get a Bolt.

I liked Hyundai's warranty, simple button shifter, and felt it was likely more feature rich (such as adaptive cruise, HUD, power and ventilated seats, etc), but none of that would matter to me if I couldn't sit comfortably in it with a pair of children car seats in the back.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am also in Houston. If you are looking to test drive, Classic Chevy in Sugar Land has several on the lot, LT and Premiere (they are waaaay in the back corner). Texas Direct Auto also has 2 in their Stafford location that you can drive. However call them ahead of time so they can make sure it's charged before you show up.

Mac has several. If you are more south east, Pearland Bayway has one, and it's actually sitting on a platform facing the street!

The Sugar Land dealer also "claims" they have certified techs to service them.

Bolts that is. Kona, can't help you. Welcome to oil country!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Anyone on here drove the Hyundai Kona and compared it to the Bolt? I have watched a ton of reviews and they tend to lean toward the kona. I am in houston and I cant test drive either due to the fact that no dealerships sell them here. If you buy one they will have it shipped but just apprehensive about buying something that i cant test drive.
I think you should be able to find Bolts in Houston. Maybe not in every dealership ... ask Mr. Google :nerd:

I do not know what to think about Kona s availability, because this year they have only sold a few hundred of them.

The Kona is more expensive, even with the *completely undeserved* federal tax credit its buyers are getting.

My feeling is that the Bolt interior is roomier, judging by the gas Kona ... same box, I assume

Or you could wait for a few more months and see what the 2020 Bolt is like. I do not anticipate a newer battery or an updated box, but likely more gadgets for the same money.

·
Registered
345 Posts
As others have noted, the Kona is definitely more cramped inside. That doesn't really bother me, in fact I like a snug fit.

The Kona has very low gearing, which gives it an inordinate amount of torque from a standstill. Noticeably more than a Bolt. But the Kona loses steam when you get up to speed. For example, the Bolt is much quicker at highway passing.

Going from owning a Bolt to test driving a Kona, the controls felt like a step backwards. I found the push-button gear selection to be awful; it's more of a gimmick than anything useful.

The trunk was shockingly small. I use my Bolt to take my family of 4 camping and road-tripping. I cannot imagine trying to fit our stuff for a week in the trunk of a Kona, and I consider myself pretty adept at utilizing space.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you should be able to find Bolts in Houston. Maybe not in every dealership ... ask Mr. Google :nerd:

I do not know what to think about Kona s availability, because this year they have only sold a few hundred of them.

The Kona is more expensive, even with the *completely undeserved* federal tax credit its buyers are getting.

My feeling is that the Bolt interior is roomier, judging by the gas Kona ... same box, I assume

Or you could wait for a few more months and see what the 2020 Bolt is like. I do not anticipate a newer battery or an updated box, but likely more gadgets for the same money.
Thanks for the feedback my major concern also with the kona is that it is its first year in production I know with gas cars thats always a concern. The only thing I am concerned aabout with the bolt is the seats and how you sit higher in the car. I have a long commute daily and so comfort is important. But the bolt still looks like a great purchase.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The Kona has very low gearing, which gives it an inordinate amount of torque from a standstill. Noticeably more than a Bolt. But the Kona loses steam when you get up to speed. For example, the Bolt is much quicker at highway passing.
This is one reason I went from my Volt to the Bolt. The Volt could take anything except a true sports car (even the Bolt) across an intersection but above about 40 MPH it fell on its face. I liked the Volt's zippiness in town but forget passing a car going 55 in a 60: might as well get out and push it. ;) In the end, I prefer something more balanced in power. And the Bolt is still quite quick off the line even if it doesn't have the 0 RPM snap of the Volt.

Mike

·
Registered
345 Posts
My 2012 Leaf was even more extreme. It could beat your Volt to 30MPH, and then it just dies. With an 80kW (100HP) motor, I never even bothered trying to pass someone on the highway. I'd just deal with driving behind them. Of course, the highway range was so low anyway that I wouldn't suffer for long ;)

·
Registered
445 Posts
As others have noted, the Kona is definitely more cramped inside. That doesn't really bother me, in fact I like a snug fit.

Going from owning a Bolt to test driving a Kona, the controls felt like a step backwards. I found the push-button gear selection to be awful; it's more of a gimmick than anything useful.

The trunk was shockingly small. I use my Bolt to take my family of 4 camping and road-tripping. I cannot imagine trying to fit our stuff for a week in the trunk of a Kona, and I consider myself pretty adept at utilizing space.
I feel an EV with less interior space than the Bolt would probably be a deal breaker. It would be interesting to hear from someone comparing a Kia e-Niro to the Bolt.

·
Registered
342 Posts
My 2012 Leaf was even more extreme. It could beat your Volt to 30MPH, and then it just dies. With an 80kW (100HP) motor, I never even bothered trying to pass someone on the highway. I'd just deal with driving behind them. Of course, the highway range was so low anyway that I wouldn't suffer for long ;)
Might have been true in 2012 but not in 2016+. 2nd gen Volt = 2.5 seconds to 30 MPH. There is literally nothing in the EV world that can keep up with a 2nd gen (2016+) Volt to 30 MPH... other than a Tesla.

Mike

·
Registered
345 Posts
Fair enough. The 2011-2015 (pre-refresh) Volt was slower to 30 than the Leaf. I confirmed this time and again with my car against my friend's ;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
The only thing I am concerned about with the bolt is the seats and how you sit higher in the car. I have a long commute daily and so comfort is important. But the bolt still looks like a great purchase.
Everyone is different, so my anecdotal example can be taken with a grain of salt, but I have a 60 mile commute (120 mile round trip) and have been doing that with my Bolt since October '17.

I did add a bit of padding to my seat (as the original Bolt's were notoriously thin for some reason), but that was after a few months. It did make it more comfortable, but I wasn't in pain before the add.
I've heard (but haven't checked myself) that the newer Bolt's have better padding.

That said, I'd schedule a test drive to make sure.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The only thing I am concerned aabout with the bolt is the seats and how you sit higher in the car. I have a long commute daily and so comfort is important. But the bolt still looks like a great purchase.
Try the 2019. My seats are very comfortable. I actually find I have more legroom than in my Chrysler Pacifica (yes the big full sized mini-van) They also provide good lateral support (the Bolt's acceleration and cornering is like a sports car). For me the higher seat is an advantage as it improves forward vision. The seat to floor height is adjustable (manual not electric).

Your body structure may want a different seat. I know there were complaints about the seats in the 2017. The 2019 are not the same.

What I really miss is not having adaptive cruise control.

·
Registered
425 Posts
If I was driving daily in stop and go traffic, I'd consider the Kona with adaptive cruise control. Otherwise, I feel that the Bolt is a better proven vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
After watching the video from Prof John Kelly at Weber U on thermal management of the battery between the Leaf and Bolt I’m even happier that I got a Bolt. I think before you get a Kona I’d watch this video and see if you can find about how the Kona handles temperature of the battery. I think it’s crazy that Nissan discourages recharging a recently used battery. Long distance drives aren’t going to be fun in that car if one properly deals with thermal issues.

https://youtu.be/WlxBOJrEKAo

·
Registered
251 Posts
I was a bit confused because while the Kona is only sold in a handful of states (which is why I'd never own one), the Bolt is sold everywhere.
Yeah, Kona Electric is only available in limited states. https://www.hyundaiusa.com/kona-electric/index.aspx even for their footnote at the top says
Kona EV State Availability
Available in California, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, and Vermont.
Looks like they only decided to focus on CARB emission states + (?) certain strong EV markets.

As for Bolt sold everywhere, sure it's sold in a lot more places than the Kona Electric but certainly not everywhere in the US. See https://www.chevybolt.org/forum/9-2017-chevy-bolt-ev-general-discussion-forum/32495-gm-dealership-charging-network-5.html#post507973 about a guy in Frackville, PA.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts