Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

121 - 140 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
If I was an idiot, I would have invested in TSLA @ $360 in hopes that it would go to $420 like EM suggested. Right now it's at $316. But in your world that's NOT "spent" money...it's an "investment". I have shown how paying off ones home can save Interest over time, which interest is INDEED "spent" money.

So yes, I will remain at the $2 Blackjack table counting cards and trading 21's with the house that pay me 1.5x. You can roll with the bottle service at the $500 min crap table. I don't enjoy the same privileges as you, so please excuse my poverty stricken (risk adverse) financial methods and goals. But don't patronize me.
And if you believed in the Tesla mission 6 years ago you would have 10x your investment.
Whether you would have been an idiot at $360 certainly seems evident today but we'll see if a year from now that may seem like a bargain. Many thought Tesla at $30 was ridiculously overpriced too.
Not advise.

·
Registered
770 Posts
my apologies Shotel - no slight was intended ...
No offense taken. My main point is one of risk. I can guarantee (in online non-binding Forum terms), that an early payoff of ones home mortgage results in unambiguous hard dollar savings vs. paying that interest, irrespective of the rate, over time. This is why I took time time and effort to illustrate a model.

The only equity positions I currently hold are in dividend paying stocks such as ATT, Verizon, Big5 Sporting goods, GE, etc. But none of these dividend returns are guaranteed. Lets look at VZ in per share amounts over time:
--Stayed steady and increased since 2000
Sweet!

But to spare the ugly details about GE dividend payouts:
--was going well up to 2009, dropped like a rock, and has yet to fully recover.

Yikes, what a dog it became.

Again, even very conservative investment options such as dividend stocks are not guaranteed. There is inherent risk, and it also depends on an individuals Investment window. Each of ours is different. My investment window is closing soon. Whereas my sons is just opening. If ones window began in 2000, and closed in 2010, one would have lost. But the next person's could have begun in 2010 and right now that person would be winning bigly.

In terms of the free investment "advise" As you can see, my very limited exposure to the market is in dividend stocks only - we all have our unconscious biases.. I try to expose mine with a little past history. You of course can choose not to respond, but I'm guessing you have some of your personal compensation tied to stock options? It is my experience that many who advocate for market investments as if the risk was less than what it is, also have a vested interest in having everyone participate in the markets. When the entire market goes up, ones own prospects rise right along with the tide.

I interpret When you say "...making 5.47% dividend money..." it sounds as if this return were factually guaranteed.

And if you believed in the Tesla mission 6 years ago you would have 10x your investment.
Whether you would have been an idiot at $360 certainly seems evident today but we'll see if a year from now that may seem like a bargain. Many thought Tesla at $30 was ridiculously overpriced too.
Not advise.
You're stating the 20/20 hind-sight obvious. I would say my personal strategy isn't about an emotional connection to a companies mission (as I am all-in on the stated Tesla mission), but what are it's future prospects. Also, like I pointed out above, where is one at in their investment window? 6 years ago my son was 17. Now his window of investment is just opening. I think he also "believes in the Tesla mission". Would you, in good conscious, advise him to buy TSLA at today's price and volatility? Even for a 6 year hold position?

·
Registered
979 Posts
I can attest that a “tenner” on your investment is indeed intoxicating. You’re forever a loyalist, you can’t see anything but rainbows and a sweet future full of promise.

I have a couple of stock certificates of Bre-X minerals on my bar wall. Bre-X was a gold play in Indonesia. Went from pennies to $286.

I recall when their chief geologist committed suicide by jumping out of a helicopter over the jungles of Indonesia. I thought oh well not everybody has their head screwed on straight. But that doesn’t alter the fact there’s upwards of 200 million ounces of gold in there, does it ? Ayuh, biggest stock fraud in the history of Canada.

I’m not saying Tesla Inc is a fraud. But when the chief starts slurring his message. Pay close attention, look at the facts.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
In my view, purchasing individual stocks is unwise for anyone without insider information. Better to invest in an index fund to hedge against fraud and all the other insider trading and advantages that a few enjoy both legally, and illegally.

My plan is to retain ownership of every home I purchase, renting it out when I move on to the next home. I had property in OK which I sold a few years back, and now I'm renting out a 4 bedroom to individual renters (was also renting out rooms as I lived in it, even when I got married).

Need to find another house soon, or continue renting.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
No offense taken. My main point is one of risk. I can guarantee (in online non-binding Forum terms), that an early payoff of ones home mortgage results in unambiguous hard dollar savings vs. paying that interest, irrespective of the rate, over time. This is why I took time time and effort to illustrate a model.

The only equity positions I currently hold are in dividend paying stocks such as ATT, Verizon, Big5 Sporting goods, GE, etc. But none of these dividend returns are guaranteed. Lets look at VZ in per share amounts over time:
--Stayed steady and increased since 2000
Sweet!

But to spare the ugly details about GE dividend payouts:
--was going well up to 2009, dropped like a rock, and has yet to fully recover.

Yikes, what a dog it became.

Again, even very conservative investment options such as dividend stocks are not guaranteed. There is inherent risk, and it also depends on an individuals Investment window. Each of ours is different. My investment window is closing soon. Whereas my sons is just opening. If ones window began in 2000, and closed in 2010, one would have lost. But the next person's could have begun in 2010 and right now that person would be winning bigly.

In terms of the free investment "advise" As you can see, my very limited exposure to the market is in dividend stocks only - we all have our unconscious biases.. I try to expose mine with a little past history. You of course can choose not to respond, but I'm guessing you have some of your personal compensation tied to stock options? It is my experience that many who advocate for market investments as if the risk was less than what it is, also have a vested interest in having everyone participate in the markets. When the entire market goes up, ones own prospects rise right along with the tide.

I interpret When you say "...making 5.47% dividend money..." it sounds as if this return were factually guaranteed.

You're stating the 20/20 hind-sight obvious. I would say my personal strategy isn't about an emotional connection to a companies mission (as I am all-in on the stated Tesla mission), but what are it's future prospects. Also, like I pointed out above, where is one at in their investment window? 6 years ago my son was 17. Now his window of investment is just opening. I think he also "believes in the Tesla mission". Would you, in good conscious, advise him to buy TSLA at today's price and volatility? Even for a 6 year hold position?
I don't think it prudent for me to give any financial advice but I sincerely believe it has Amazon, Apple potential. I have a significant portion of my liquidity in Tesla so it's not just lip service on my end. Doesn't make it right as much smarter and financially savvy investors lose money in the market every day. I'm certainly biased in my outlook but based on Musk's accomplishments and ability to do what most detractors feel impossible, I wouldn't bet against him.
It brings up an interesting observation that I've noticed. When I hear someone who wants Musk to leave Tesla and stay out of the automotive, or rocket, or boring, or energy business, I instinctively label them a "short" trader, (not investor). There would be no surer way to sink any of those companies that taking him away from them. Some here will never admit it and I'm always puzzled why such animosity and hatred for the man and the company on a fellow EV forum. I could see it if this were a Porsche or Peterbilt or fracking forum but jeezus, we're on the same **** team.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Elon has Trumpian behavior despite being on the left (turns out being a jerk isn't a political attribute). That alone is off-putting to say the least. He's also a self-made wealthy white guy, which annoys the far left to no end.

At best Elon is just optimistically wrong, and at worst, deceitful; likely some combination of both. That combined with being a jerk makes enemies of people that aren't very tolerant of being mislead or mistreated. Then there are those that despise successful people regardless of how they became successful, which fortunately are a very small minority of people.

I prefer to evaluate Musk on a case by case basis, just as I do with Trump. Sometimes he says/does great things, sometimes he says/does awful things. Certainly all of the companies Musk is running would instantly implode if I were running them. For that I give him credit.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Those who have less or different things have always been envious of those who have more, or other things. Marx didn't invent envy, he only invented a catastrophic way to lower overall productivity to make everyone less wealthy, except for those in control.

There are problems with executives being motivated to make decisions based on short-term profits rather than creating a long-term strategy, and that is often linked to excessive compensation and other corruption. We need to fix the problems with the best economic system devised yet (capitalism), not throw the baby out with the bathwater. With Communism you only have bathwater, and no baby.

BTW- Wealthy people don't generally just Scrooge McDuck around in their money silos. They often invest it in something new. Elon spent $90M of his personal wealth to kickstart Space X, and another $70M to fund Tesla. He has become fabulously wealthy, but it might all crash and leave him relatively poor off. He could have retired in his 20s and lived an extravagant life, but that's boring, and I'm not talking about his latest company.
Certainly not a Marx expert but I would not use Marx and communism interchangeabley. The majority of Marx writings are essentially an economic critique of Smith and what smith argued was beautifully regulated market place by the invisible hand. Marx wrote about two words when it came to communism maybe I exaggerate).Marx struggled with the subjective conditions ( worker seeing their self interest) and objective conditions ( political economy) aligning for necessary change.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Not a lot of detail on these two 2019 Leaf articles, they’re mostly a rehash of vague reports that have appeared for over a year.

The Leaf will have a bigger battery and more range, but specs are still unknown, as is the model release date, and pricing.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Apple test car was attempting to merge onto an expressway near its headquarters in Cupertino, California, and traveling about 1 mile per hour, when it was rear-ended by a Nissan Leaf

https://techcrunch.com/2018/08/31/apple-is-late-to-a-self-driving-milestone-its-first-test-car-accident/
How appropriate is it that this appeared on the "TechCrunch" site?

I'm not surprised that it got rear ended it it was really travelling at 1 MPH on a freeway on-ramp. If autonomous vehicles are going to be that cautious then perhaps they need to sport large "learner" stickers on the back... ;)

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
How appropriate is it that this appeared on the "TechCrunch" site?

I'm not surprised that it got rear ended it it was really travelling at 1 MPH on a freeway on-ramp. If autonomous vehicles are going to be that cautious then perhaps they need to sport large "learner" stickers on the back... ;)
Looks like automatic braking only became standard on the Leaf in 2018. I'm hoping my Bolt's system prevents this very thing.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Why pay off mortgage debt though? I consider my 30 year fixed, low interest mortgage to be a hedge against inflation, and the interest is tax deductible.

I don't have solar yet, but probably will have something one day; perhaps wind or micro-hydro.

I'm doing everything else listed above, though I did sell a rental property in OK because my partner wanted out (hard to manage so far away).

Do you think housing will take a dip when the next recession hits, or just level off momentarily? The reason I ask is that I'm needing to move in a few months and am wondering if it's wisest to rent for a little while, or purchase.

Yup. Both my mortgage (~$100k) and auto loan (~25k) are at 3%. Those are the *last* things I'm paying off. HELOC went to 5%...paid it down to near zero.

121 - 140 of 150 Posts