Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched a few videos on youtube yesterday which touted new EVs to challenge Tesla. Odd thing is they didn't mention the Bolt at all. Still though, looking at the specs for the ones they did tout none matched HP/battery capacity / price points / driving distance of the Bolt. Yet I still haven't seen commercials on TV for our little cars. Darned if I can figure out why GM isn't advertising the snot out of this car. The nearest competitor in terms of price seems be the leaf with its 40khw battery, and even the BWM I-thingy is $20,000 more for the same performance. GM has knocked a home run here.

Oh one more while I'm at it... The prius prime seems to take on the Volt quite well.... 40mile EV range but it's $27,000 vs $40,000 for the same functionality.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
The Bolt is the only sub $40,000 completely EV vehicle with a range of over 200 miles that has ever been sold in the US. It has been available in California for about 14 months and will continue to be the only sub $40,000 available in the US for 2018. The sub $40,000 Model 3 might be available in 2019 and I think the Hyundai Kona will be the next affordable EV available for purchase. Chevy did something that is taking competitors over 2 years later to roll out in the US.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Yes, it's a sort of perverse snobbery. I know several with deposits on Model 3s who'll be waiting a loooong time to buy a $35,000 version. For the same money, they could have been driving a Bolt for a year now. "I know all the good things which have been said about the Bolt, but I just can't bring myself to buy a Chevy," one told me.

jack vines

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
Yes, it's a sort of perverse snobbery. I know several with deposits on Model 3s who'll be waiting a loooong time to buy a $35,000 version. For the same money, they could have been driving a Bolt for a year now. "I know all the good things which have been said about the Bolt, but I just can't bring myself to buy a Chevy," one told me.

jack vines
Yeah. The guy whose Model 3 review I linked to has a Tesla powered Escalade, a Tesla powered VW Doka, and several amazing electric powered kit cars. He has been covering EVs, in excruciating depth, for eight years. But he has talked about the Bolt for about five minutes total. The funny thing is, given his skewering of the the Model 3, I think he would love the Bolt, if he could bring himself to test drive one. :)

167 Posts
Not only do the Elon Musk-rat Model 3 slaves have to wait in perpetuity, they also are gonna get a raw deal on the vanishing tax credit too! Sucks to be them! But hey, it's a Tesla.....the failed company that got beat by a woman named Mary Barra.....hey Elon, how does it feel to be P whipped again?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Not only do the Elon Musk-rat Model 3 slaves have to wait in perpetuity, they also are gonna get a raw deal on the vanishing tax credit too! Sucks to be them! But hey, it's a Tesla.....the failed company that got beat by a woman named Mary Barra.....hey Elon, how does it feel to be P whipped again?
Ouch that was pointy!

·
Registered
862 Posts
In a year, Mary Barra will have 2 more ev's on the market while Elon fumbles, stumbles and bumbles some more!
YTD Model 3 sales: 4360
YTD Bolt sales: 2601

Tesla YTD: 7860
GM EV (Bolt & Volt): 4297

GM has some serious work to catch up - I find it unlikely. The much ballyhooed $35K Tesla is still a year off (if it ever gets produced), but they are easily outselling the Bolt with a car costing ~50% more.

Non-Tesla owners that placed reservations are now being invited to configure with delivery about 3 weeks out. At least some of the production issues on the 3 have gotten sorted.

I did find it interesting that JLR welcomed people to "Production Heaven" on the factory floor during the I-Pace reveal >:). They even tested head-to-head against the Model X (both 75 and P100). I think Tesla has officially "arrived" now that mainstream manufacturers are acknowledging them as the benchmark and target of new products.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Yeah and no ads either! Why?
I think the answer lies with: Tesla gets away with murder because of the cult. Crowdfunding cars and people will wait years for. Investors give him all the leeway not given to others. If GM tried that it would fail miserably. GM knows this well. Right now GM sells every car they make organically, if they advertised and 100,000 people wanted one and found they could not buy it, people would just get pissed and walk away and say "typical GM who kill the EV they are not serious"

·
Registered
862 Posts
Perhaps it's because Chevy isn't too interested in selling Bolts. As someone who recently attempted to buy one I can say the enthusiasm from the Chevy dealers was, to put it nicely, lacking.
You're right, Tesla does no advertising at all. They don't need to with a loose nut at the steering wheel tweeting at all hours (he does have that in common with our Commander in Chief;)). He's also pretty good at distracting with promises of future products. "Problems with Model 3 production? Let me show you our new Semi and Roadster - you'll be blown away!!!"

I have seen a few ads for the Bolt, but not many and not on television. Those even vaguely interested in EV's do know about the Bolt. It has greatly increased the number of people at least considering an EV.

Honda is advertising their Clarity PHEV pretty heavily, and Nissan is also known to do a bit with the LEAF. I've also seen a fair bit on the upcoming Panamera on channels like Velocity. Other than that, not a whole lot is being pushed in mainstream media that I've noticed.

As to the enthusiasm of dealers. Longer sales (and education) cycle with a vastly reduced revenue stream for their primary profit center. Salespeople have to spend more time per sale, dealership makes less money than selling an ICE. An issue faced by all EV's and not unique to GM. Some dealers have embraced EV's, most have not. Both Coasts, as a rule, have more that want to sell EV's while the interior is spotty (at best).

·
Registered
83 Posts
I do not have a Marketing background, but I think when demand is strong with 4 month+ wait lists and you can't supply enough, you'd keep the advertising money in your account, and keep that back order problem as quiet as you have to. Then, when demand is weak, you need to sell people on the idea that buying one is "what they need to do". Sometimes they use the safety myth..., sometimes they use the rugged pick-up truck guy myth to question your own masculinity or utility / usefulness, sometimes they use the open the lift gate with your foot "convenience" myth - even though you will only use it (3) times in the next (6) years, the first two being to show your neighbour, then a co-worker. Then there was that one time that you really did need two hands on that ice cream cake.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I do not have a Marketing background, but I think when demand is strong with 4 month+ wait lists and you can't supply enough, you'd keep the advertising money in your account, and keep that back order problem as quiet as you have to. Then, when demand is weak, you need to sell people on the idea that buying one is "what they need to do". Sometimes they use the safety myth..., sometimes they use the rugged pick-up truck guy myth to question your own masculinity or utility / usefulness, sometimes they use the open the lift gate with your foot "convenience" myth - even though you will only use it (3) times in the next (6) years, the first two being to show your neighbour, then a co-worker. Then there was that one time that you really did need two hands on that ice cream cake.
Any wait list appears to be the result of lack of inventory and not strong demand. If GM were cranking out these cars as they do other models there would be a lot of them sitting on the lots.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Well said!

sometimes they use the open the lift gate with your foot "convenience" myth - even though you will only use it (3) times in the next (6) years, the first two being to show your neighbour, then a co-worker. Then there was that one time that you really did need two hands on that ice cream cake.
Dude ur awesome!

·
Registered
575 Posts
There are many other competitors in the EV marketplace who will be making a major impact in the next few years. BMW, Mercedes Benz, and others have EVs in late stage development that will compete with the Tesla in particular. These newcomers will have an advantage over Tesla, as the $7500 tax credit will still be available to those who buy their cars.

But fielding a low cost practical EV may prove to be a tougher nut to crack. It has been said by knowledgeable individuals that Chevy isn't making much (if any) money on the Bolt. It's hard to imagine that other car manufacturers can do better on the cost than GM.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts