Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a Caddy ELR before my Bolt. I was and am using a Bosch Power Xpress, only difference is when I got the Bolt had the electrician replace the 30 amp breaker with a 40 amp. The original had the right size wires for the 40. My question is the ELR in 5 hours would do a full charge for 39 miles while my Bolt in 5 hours will charge for about 125 miles. I assume the Volt has the same charger as the ELR. Is the Bolt's charger a higher capacity then the Volt, just curious.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I had a Caddy ELR before my Bolt. I was and am using a Bosch Power Xpress, only difference is when I got the Bolt had the electrician replace the 30 amp breaker with a 40 amp. The original had the right size wires for the 40. My question is the ELR in 5 hours would do a full charge for 39 miles while my Bolt in 5 hours will charge for about 125 miles. I assume the Volt has the same charger as the ELR. Is the Bolt's charger a higher capacity then the Volt, just curious.
Bolt battery is much bigger than the ELR (60kWh VS 17kWh)

That charge time is spot on, 25mph @ level 2

Sorry, I think I misinterpreted your question, ELR charger is 3.3kW, Bolt is 7.2kW yes charger is more than 2x the ELR

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bolt battery is much bigger than the ELR (60kWh VS 17kWh)

That charge time is spot on, 25mph @ level 2

Sorry, I think I misinterpreted your question, ELR charger is 3.3kW, Bolt is 7.2kW yes charger is more than 2x the ELR
Is the Volt 2nd generation charger same as the ELR or faster.

·
Registered
862 Posts
The Bolt is listed as 7.2 kWh by the marketing department, and commonly called out for 60 or 80 kW DCFC.

The documents submitted in the Application for Certification to the EPA list:
"7.6 kW On-Board; 50 kW Off-Board charge power"
https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=38567&flag=1
(see pg 25)

32A @ 240V = 7.68 kW, so this makes more sense than 7.2 kW

But in any case, it can be considered to be twice as fast as the Volt to charge (actual charge rates are affected by pack temp, SOC, etc).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts