Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

Bolt Warranty

5K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  GJETSON 
#1 ·
I know the battery pack is covered under the 8 year/100,000 Warranty, but does that same warranty also include the Electric Drive Unit (EDU)? The wording I see on Chevrolet.com seems to indicate that it does.

OK, next question: Do we really have much data on how resilient these Electric Drive Units are (compared to a conventional engine)? And let's say that it turns out they aren't as resilient, and they quit somewhere between 125,000 and 175,000 miles. Does anybody know the serviceability of these EDU's? Is this gonna be one of those things where you just have to do a wholesale swap? And what would that number look like ... $3,000-$5000 ... like a transmission repair bill?

#2 ·
At this point, the oldest Bolts on the road are ~3 1/2 years old. Only a very tiny fraction of Bolts these days have over 100k miles on them. Anecdotally, I've not seen reports of EDUs needing replacement (vs e.g. the HV battery), but again the sample sizes are pretty small. Then again, most ICEVs don't have engine issues either in that timeframe.

One counter datapoint is the Tesla Model S which did see a non-trivial number of failures of the drive unit on their early Model S vehicles (<= 2014 typically). No idea as to how much those replacements cost though.

#5 ·
Anecdotally, I've not seen reports of EDUs needing replacement (vs e.g. the HV battery), but again the sample sizes are pretty small.
This guy got one of the very first Bolts. Going over the car, he noticed ATF leaked onto the plastic belly cover. There was a damaged o-ring seal on one of the three phase wires going into the motor/gear case. Since the car was so new, GM wasn't allowing techs to fix anything, They wanted the whole drive unit back for inspection. Scroll down the page for pictures, and details.

Don't know if Mike is on this forum. He was well known in Honda Insight circles. We emailed a bit about the Bolt. Six months after the drive unit replacement, he said, "I smile every time I drive mine. Best car I ever owned."

I concur!

#4 ·
Do we really have much data on how resilient these Electric Drive Units are (compared to a conventional engine)? And let's say that it turns out they aren't as resilient, and they quit somewhere between 125,000 and 175,000 miles. Does anybody know the serviceability of these EDU's?
We'll have to wait and see for concrete data, but the drive unit is so simple compared to a gasoline engine that it's pretty hard to imagine it's going to be the weak point. The only wear items are the bearings, the step-down gears, and the CV joints, all of which have been proven and robust technology for decades now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.