Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I'm looking for someone more knowledgeable than myself to help me clarify wheel sizing for the Bolt.

I have been having a hard time finding anyone with wheels available in my local area that fit the Bolt. I'm planning to pair these wheels with winter tires.

Yesterday I came across an option that "looked" like it should work, but I want to see what you all have to say.

The Wheels I found are 17x7.5 with 5-105 pattern (universal, not hub-centric (these are 72.62, Bolt is 56.6) and a 35mm offset (The rims do clear the calipers). I know the Bolt normally roles with 17x6.5 with a 44mm offset.
I plan to pair this wheel with Michelin X ice 3 tires (found the OEM size of 215/50/R17). These apparently fit up to 7.5 wide rims, and it should be OK.

My question is: With the wider rim (approx 25mm wider), and the reduced offset of 9 mm, is my wheel/tire is going to stick out past the edge of wheel well (posing a possible risk to my paint) (moves out by 13mm+9mm)?

My inside clearance to my strut looked very low, but should have only been reduced by 4mm (13mm-9mm), is this going to cause me problems? how much clearance does there need to be?

Am I correct in my thinking/calculations? Am I overthinking this?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I am almost sure the 2016 and 2017 Volt has the same wheels.

Although when I asked our dealership to find me a spare wheel for the Bolt, they said it didn't exist ...

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Volt, Sonic and Cruze, all have the same bolt pattern and have been found to fit the Bolt. Are your 7.5" wide wheels OEM or aftermarket?

is my wheel/tire is going to stick out past the edge of wheel well (posing a possible risk to my paint . . . . Am I overthinking this?
Not at all. Just recently, I saw a Jaguar/Ford with aftermarket wheels where the tread had grabbed and bent the edge of the front fender lip. It prolly looked OK sitting on the shop floor with the wheels straight ahead, but load to full capacity, turn wheels to lock and cross a gutter dip at speed, compress suspension to the stops and maybe not quite enough clearance.

jack vines

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am almost sure the 2016 and 2017 Volt has the same wheels.

Although when I asked our dealership to find me a spare wheel for the Bolt, they said it didn't exist ...
Yup size comes up the same, but stock is a completely different issue around me.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Volt, Sonic and Cruze, all have the same bolt pattern and have been found to fit the Bolt. Are your 7.5" wide wheels OEM or aftermarket?

jack vines
aftermarket wheels. I'm also waiting on a quote for OEM wheels, but I'm not holding my breath that the price will be reasonable.

Even Steel wheels, which I'm not excited about are somewhat rare and not too cheap either.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Based on tire rack data, I would guess you will be ok as long as you mount a narrow tire. They do offer 35mm offset 7.5 wide wheels for the Bolt. If you try to cram some unusually wide tire that hangs way over the edge of the rim you might have a problem.

I used to run non hub centric wheels without any adapters. If you tighten the nuts down slowly using a cross pattern, in my experience they will mount up true. Done it many times with no problem. Torque incrementally in a cross pattern, kick the tire between turns. Its not as big a pain as it sounds. The one time I had a problem is when I rushed it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts