Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 Bolt that I purchased in March. It has about 5,000 miles on it.

This morning when I turned on the car and attempted to shift into reverse, I was given the message "Conditions Not Correct for Shift". There was no further explanation. I checked the doors, the charging cable, etc, activated and released the parking break, but nothing helped. I continued to get the message "Conditions Not Correct for Shift".

At that point I noticed the "Service Vehicle Soon" light was on. I decided to try to shut the vehicle down and restart it, to see if it was a software problem that would clear with a reboot.

I activated the parking brake, put my foot on the break pedal, and pushed the Power button. The control screen went black briefly, but then the car immediately powered up again. This happened every time I tried to turn off the vehicle. I have been unable to turn it off.

The car still will not shift into gear.

The "Service Vehicle Soon" light is on.

The car is turned on. I cannot turn it off.

Luckily, it is parked in my driveway.

It is Sunday, so the service department at the dealership is closed. No help there. I will call them first thing tomorrow morning.

In the mean time, if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be very interested in hearing them.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV Ioniq 5 reservation
1,758 Posts
I recommend disconnecting the 12V battery (cover the other terminal with a dry towel as you detach & put the cable end in a plastic baggie with a twist tie). It is easy to reattach and either drive to the service dealer, or if still unable to drive, have the tow operator pull you up onto the truck bed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I recommend disconnecting the 12V battery (cover the other terminal with a dry towel as you detach & put the cable end in a plastic baggie with a twist tie). It is easy to reattach and either drive to the service dealer, or if still unable to drive, have the tow operator pull you up onto the truck bed.
Thank you for the suggestion. Could you explain why I should disconnect the 12V battery? Should I then reconnect to see if that fixes the problem, or are you saying it's best not to leave it overnight like this?

Also - how do I recognize the 12V battery?

·
Administrator
3,158 Posts
12V battery is under the hood, much like most cars.

12V battery runs all of the electronics, so it is effectively rebooting the car.

Leave it disconnected for 10 minutes.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Thank you for the suggestion. Could you explain why I should disconnect the 12V battery? Should I then reconnect to see if that fixes the problem, or are you saying it's best not to leave it overnight like this?

The 12 volt battery is the black square block behind the driver's headlight with large wires on the top.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same issue with another vehicle. Try this as it worked for me when I did this.
1. Since the car is on. Put your key fob away from the Bolt by about 30 ft. Go back to Bolt
2. Power off the Bolt. Key fob will not answer security request.
3. Wait and see what happens. It should stay off.
I’m a lurker car to the forums most of the time. Just read things.

Steve

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
You might also want to open all 4 doors, the rear hatch, and the hood, and close all securely. I suppose if it thought one of those was open, it might give that message.

Mike

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
12V battery runs all of the electronics, so it is effectively rebooting the car.
Leave it disconnected for 10 minutes.
And test it. Flaky 12V batteries can cause all sorts of phantom issues with the car, and if the car was sitting on the dealer's lot with a low main battery for a few months then the 12V battery may have been overstressed by becoming completely discharged.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,940 Posts
I suspect that you tried to do something in the car before it was done booting up. I've seen all kinds of bizarre behaviors in 20 years of EV driving, due to either not waiting long enough for boot, or a low 12V aux battery.

When you think about it, there's probably a half-dozen different processors doing their housekeeping chores at boot, and then they need to talk to each other to confirm it's all ready to go before a decision is made. I don't try to read a thumb drive in my PC until it's fully booted. We shouldn't expect our modern vehicles to be ready instantly, either.

The other, larger issue is the 12V aux battery. In my experience, bizarre behaviors have been tied back to a weak aux battery probably 90%+ of the time. The recommendations, above, to disconnect the aux battery for ten minutes, is a good one. I'd probably do it for several hours, and have it on a charger during that time. Make sure that the charger/conditioner is multi-stage and designed for AGM batteries.

Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Releasing the parking ( not on a hill) and disconnecting the 12 volt accessory battery will like make it easer for the tow driver and the dealer technician, the condition that is not right is likely something that requires a repair. The tow driver maybe able to disconnect the shift control link under the hood and manually shift to neutral.

·
Registered
751 Posts
In the mean time, if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be very interested in hearing them.
I'm adding pictures for you, and anybody else. This isn't complicated, and one shouldn't be afraid to do this kind of work.

This is the battery (headlights on so there's SOME draw on it) I'm measuring the voltage, just for fun, in case you're equipped to do such a thing. You don't need a meter to disconnect it.

This is the terminal to disconnect. Leave the red well alone. A wrench, pliers, **** or high water will be fine. Many believe that pulling the negative (this one) is safer than positive (red) for many reasons, among them, that it's at the same potential as the body of the car, so a stray or careless wrench is unlikely to make any sparks. Loosen, but don't remove the nut/bolt, then using the towel, wiggle the connection free and bag it as directed.

Standard disclaimer, wash your hands after since the terminals are made of lead. It's very unlikely that you'd be exposed in any important way unless you were filing on it while eating sandwiches, but just know, they're lead.

I was inspired to do this battery check after reading this thread, since I have an older 2017 and no desire to get stuck. I'm not concerned with the voltage reading I saw.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was able to shut down the car by leaving the key fob in the house when I pressed the power button. That didn't fix the original problem, though. When I restarted the car I still had the "Conditions Not Correct for Shift"error.

So I disconnected the 12 volt battery, waited 10 minutes, reconnected it and restarted the car. The error message was gone, and I was able to shift into gear and drive.

So, my Chevy Bolt is really just an overgrown cable modem. Amazing.

Thanks to everyone for all the help! I don't have a voltmeter handy, so I haven't checked out the battery. I think it's probably just a software error that I got stuck in. If I keep having problems I'll have the battery checked out.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts