Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New "used" Bolt today with 5,000 miles. Off the truck it will charge from the included portable 110V 8/12 amps. But, I get nothing plugging into my apartment complex's free ChargePoint CT4000 chargers. Why?

ChargePoint CT4020-HD-GW
Port 1/2 240V 30A J1772
Software version: 4.3.1.64 Build 82776 CT4knandflash

ChargePoint has no idea.

Last night it worked for a Tesla and a Volt!
Today, tried 10 times and no connection, "Waiting for Vehicle."
Went to different ChargePoint station and connected. No problem.

So, I called ChargePoint...
ChargePoint rebooted the station. It connected and green flashing light on my Bolt!!
5 minutes later, I got a text that said charge interruption.
On the Bolt display it said, "Unable to Charge" "Charge Cord Not Fully Inserted."

Yes, the cord was fully inserted. I had a Volt and know how to plug it in :)

ChargePoint reported it to Level 2. Not sure what that really means.

Any idea why it would charge a Tesla and Volt, but not a Bolt??? Thanks, John

Attachments

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Sounds like an old crappy handle on the chargepoint station.
Bring a pick with you next time you visit that station.. if it still has an O-ring on the handle end, remove it with the pick.

All who use the station will thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds like an old crappy handle on the chargepoint station.
Bring a pick with you next time you visit that station.. if it still has an O-ring on the handle end, remove it with the pick.
I had the same deal at a Chargepoint station. Can you elaborate on this O-ring thing?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
^ That's one of the newer ones without the O ring.

Does it fully seat and lock easily into the Bolt without having to twist/turn/jiggle it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Update - Service Will Be Dispatched to Fix/Change Charging Head/Handles/Station

Last night I talked with ChargePoint support and we verified that the Bolt can charge by going to another nearby charge station.

ChargePoint thinks it's odd that a Tesla and Chevy Volt were able to charge at the faulty station right before and after me, but no Bolt has every logged a session. He collected charge logs and those will be sent for HW/SW review.

Given the Bolt error I received one time after a 9-minute charge, "Unable to Charge" "Charge Cord Not Fully Inserted," the issue seems to be impedance, either software or hardware, and possibly the Bolt is different than other EVs. Or the proximity detection pin is failing to connect/hold a connection.

The proximity detection pin is less likely because both charge connectors fail at the same station.

J1772 - (5 pins) AC line 1 and line 2, Ground pin, Proximity detection, and control pilot.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
That's a new one to me. Thanks for the thorough account. Weird that the Chargepoint is so picky but at least it's protections are in place to measure *hardware* impedance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Update - I was able to get a full charge from the faulty charge station and ChargePoint has not serviced it.

I was able to connect after plugging/unplugging ~20x. Tried different ways to insert and pressure. It connected when I slowly inserted the J1772 connector with slight upward pressure, but I have not been able to repeat it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Update - I was able to get a full charge from the faulty charge station and ChargePoint has not serviced it.

I was able to connect after plugging/unplugging ~20x. Tried different ways to insert and pressure. It connected when I slowly inserted the J1772 connector with slight upward pressure, but I have not been able to repeat it.
I like the troubleshooting. I'm new to EV's, so I have a learning curve to climb!!! There is a DCFC near me that I had trouble with. Kept getting a "proximity error" - with no indication of what was proximate or not proximate to the other. Got it to work the first time by moving my car a few feet - so thought my car had to be in a particular spot relative to the charging station. Oddly, that didn't help next time :) But rotating the charge handle counter-clockwise one turn before plugging in did work. The handle probably has to be seated "just right". There is apparently a service order open on the charger to replace the handle.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I thought the O-ring made it watertight. Is the ring-less connector good in the rain?
New handles don't have the o-ring installed. It was found they didin't need them and they caused insertion issues as they aged.
I've been EV charging since 2012... haven't heard of a single rain water related- handle failure yet. Just the fact that none of the manufacturers use the o-ring any longer is good enough for me.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
New handles don't have the o-ring installed. It was found they didin't need them and they caused insertion issues as they aged.
I've been EV charging since 2012... haven't heard of a single rain water related- handle failure yet. Just the fact that none of the manufacturers use the o-ring any longer is good enough for me.
Ditto. The connection is angled such that water naturally will run into the surrounding of the J1772 receptacle on the Bolt and not into the pins of it. I can still understand the need for the o-ring since some parking situations may tilt the car's J1772 receptacle enough that it's now level with gravity and rain water could make its way into the J1772 pins. Most DCFC are installed with level parking, however. I wonder if some owners who park on hills with street-side charging have issues with rain intrusion.

There is a real risk with rain, however, that I've experienced twice now. When coming home I could open the charge door as I was walking towards my outdoor EVSE setup. Twice now rain has entered the pins enough to bridge some contacts so that when I finally plugin the J1772 handle, I get a ground fault. Simple drying use some rolled-up tissue and everything was good. I also had the same problem on my old Volt after pressure washing it--enough water got in to create a short. Air drying for an hour+ and everything charged just fine.

So keep the J1772 handles and receptacle away from rain until right before you plugin to charge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I keep a can of keyboard duster in the car in the winter, I've had to dig charge plugs out of the snow and dry/thaw them with my heater, then just blow the water out with the duster

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I keep a can of keyboard duster in the car in the winter, I've had to dig charge plugs out of the snow and dry/thaw them with my heater, then just blow the water out with the duster
ding ding ding ding!! winner, winner, chicken dinner! (I will be adding a "can of air" to my trunk kit.)

·
Registered
60 Posts
On the Bolt display it said, "Unable to Charge" "Charge Cord Not Fully Inserted."

Yes, the cord was fully inserted. I had a Volt and know how to plug it in :)

Ok, so I just got this same error on the Chargepoint station at work. I have used this station many times previously without issue. I tried both ports (of one shared 2port unit) and get the same error. Now what is strange is that I had been charging before lunch (at the 2nd shared dual-port at work, 4 ports total) without issue. I saw two LEAFs charging at both ports that failed me earlier in the morning, but they were empty after lunch. So I was going to use one of those to get the faster charge rate (there was one car at the dual-port I was using in the morning.) So, this is strange, I don't suspect an issue with the ports.

At lunch I went to a place that also has a Chargepoint charger and the only open space in the lot was the EV/charger so I thought why not. The Chargepoint station did not unlock with my phone app, but the RFID card that came with the car worked and the car put on ~20mi of charge for free while I ate. I pushed the release button and unplugged as I always do. When I got in the car, there was a message about the charge being interrupted which I don't recall seeing before. So I drove back to work to plug back in and that's when I got the "Charge Cord Not Fully Inserted" message. What is strange is that the Chargepoint station at the restaurant does not show up on the app or website now that I am looking at it. The restaurant recently moved locations and I assume they moved the Chargepoint and it may not be fully registered. Is it possible that it's not behaving correctly and has caused the fault on my car? There was a Volt plugged in to the other port at the restaurant and I obviously don't know their results. I powered the car on and off a few times and still get the charging error at work. I'll try the L1 at home tonight, but am worried that the un-networked restaurant unit screwed something up.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Update: My Bolt is charging fine on the supplied L1 at home. Someone at work responded to an email I sent to the EV group there that they also had issues with that port this afternoon, but the LEAF was able to charge after hitting ‘reset charge port’ on it’s software. Sounds like it is s port issue and the interruption error was just a coincidence.

·
Registered
146 Posts
ding ding ding ding!! winner, winner, chicken dinner! (I will be adding a "can of air" to my trunk kit.)
Be aware that compressed air can heat up and explode, I have personally seen one shoot through a car hatchback window and land on a nearby roof about 25 feet high—this on a 85 degree day .

·
Registered
421 Posts
Whoa! Good warning there. I was thinking the same thing: canned air. Which isn't really canned air, but a compressed hydrocarbon. If you turn a can upside down and discharge it, it'll freeze anything it's pointed at. We used to use it to chill electronic components for debugging. The can says "Do not expose can to temperatures above 120F."

1 - 20 of 33 Posts