Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

My Bolt won't charge past 3.75kw at Home on lvl 2 Charger. I have a Chargepoint lvl 2 charger on a 40amp circuit by itself.

This just started happening a week ago, I've tried resetting vehicle factory setting, rebooted charger, flipped breakers & removed and added chargepoint from account.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've used it with LVL 3 Chargers with no issues. Haven't used any public lvl 2 chargers.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I recommend you look for and try a different L2 EVSE (charger) capabile of at least 24 Amps at 208 - 230 Vac. That would give you 5-6 kW indicated on the dashboard if all is well.

Also, you may notice lower kW indicated than what is actually being provided by the EVSE if the car's HVAC or battery conditioning is active.

·
1,479 Posts
What is "battery conditioning"?
In hot or cold temps, the Bolt will tun AC or heat to regulate battery temps, aka conditioning.

Was the car running when you checked? How high was State of Charge (SOC) at start\finish of the session(s)? How did you determine 3.75kW? Was it for a long duration?

I am not familiar with the Chargepoint home chargers, I assume they log sessions? Is there a setting in the app to limit Amps?

While inverter issues are possible, they seem remote. There are some logical explanations for this for short durations but one can only speculate given limited information.

·
Registered
585 Posts
My Bolt won't charge past 3.75kw at Home on lvl 2 Charger. I have a Chargepoint lvl 2 charger on a 40amp circuit by itself.
could you be more specific? More details as to ambient temperature, battery level, mileage of the car, length of charging...

·
Registered
418 Posts
DCFC does not use the same path as the L2 charging. Try using another L2 charger in town. Maybe try one at the chevy dealer.

·
Registered
2019 Bolt & 2015 Spark EV
389 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Premier, Arctic Blue - Oct 2020
89 Posts
The charge steps down as the battery gets above 50% and again above 80%.
As asked several times above, what was your state of charge at the time of your observation?

[edit: naw i'm wrong] taper happens w/DCFC

·
Registered
2019 Bolt & 2015 Spark EV
389 Posts
The charge steps down as the battery gets above 50% and again above 80%.
On L2 AC charging, I've only encountered tapering at near full SOC (~>98% displayed SOC, I believe).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey All,

This just started happening a week ago, I've tried resetting vehicle factory setting, rebooted charger, flipped breakers & removed and added chargepoint from account.
Had a similar issue with chargerpoint L2 charger, doing a factory reset on charger restored it to 7.2kw although it repeated the issue and chargepoint replaced the charger

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's a chargepoint bug. Set to 30amp or 50amp then back. Also contact chargepoint, their support is great and they can remotely connect to charger.
Tried with no success, emailing charge point now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Had a similar issue with chargerpoint L2 charger, doing a factory reset on charger restored it to 7.2kw although it repeated the issue and chargepoint replaced the charger
I've had issue in past as well and rebooting did fix it. Not so this time.

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier
830 Posts
3.75kW on 240V power is roughly 16A. Incidentally, the portable chargers available where I live generally have charging limits that go up to either 12A or 16A depending on the manufacturer. So my wild guess is that the charger in question may be limiting the output current to that specific number for some reason - software setting gone wrong, certain limiting conditions being met, etc.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Just tested with chargepoint lvl 2 in public and getting 6.4kw so it has to be home charger.
Your symptoms are consistent with a charger that advertises a maximum current of 16A. That's one of the common settings for chargers that allow the maximum current to be configured, because it's appropriate if the charger is plugged into a 20A circuit.

If your charger is one of those that allow the maximum current level to be adjusted, it may simply be set incorrectly.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts