Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend went to her 3 month old 2017 Bolt EV Premier last night and it wouldn't start at all.
She read the manual and put the key fob in the "key slot" in the center console and after multiple attempts, it started.
She changed the button battery and it's been fine today.

Something to keep in mind about these modern cars, change those batteries or keep a spare around.

Some of my fears of modern cars:
If the key fob is completely dead, is there a way to start the car?
If the 12V battery dies, is there a way to put it in neutral and push the car aside.
If the 12V battery dies, is On Star still available?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Yes
No - It won't die out like an ICE can, so really no need to worry about it. If the car is in Run Mode, the 12 volt battery is being charged from the HVB inverter.
No

As far as the car not starting at only 3 months old, you can get system interference from a lot of other signals and it's possible that it can block the FOB from the car. That's why it has the FOB pocket in the center console.Even if the FOB battery is dead, the FOB will start the car as long as you place it on top of the FOB module.
You need to remove the center console box and place it directly on top of the receiver module.

If the 12 volt battery is dead, it's the same as any other car. Nothing will happen without 12 volts. It's no different because it's an EV. When an ICE car has no 12 volt power, it acts the same way. Just jump the 12 volt battery and you're good to go. Nothing special at all. It cracks me up when people think because it's an EV and the 12 volt battery goes dead it's somehow a big deal. Pay attention to what you're saying because you're not thinking logically and that's usually the BIGGER PROBLEM >:)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Based on your friend's experience, you don't really need a spare FOB or button battery. The 12V backup is easy to take care of: get a 12V jump starter and keep it charged in your car. I use one to keep my dash cams powered when I turn off the Bolt. If the jump starter's battery starts losing capacity, I'll know when the dash cams stop working after a quick stop. The jump starter is always charging via the Bolt's 12V accessory plug so it's always full when I need it.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
If the 12 volt battery is dead, it's the same as any other car.
The OP's question was whether you could push the car off the road with a dead 12V battery. In that respect, the Bolt is NOT like any other car, particularly if it has already set the electric parking brake.

·
Registered
989 Posts
The OP's question was whether you could push the car off the road with a dead 12V battery. In that respect, the Bolt is NOT like any other car, particularly if it has already set the electric parking brake.
Yes
No - It won't die out like an ICE can, so really no need to worry about it. If the car is in Run Mode, the 12 volt battery is being charged from the HVB inverter.
No

As far as the car not starting at only 3 months old, you can get system interference from a lot of other signals and it's possible that it can block the FOB from the car. That's why it has the FOB pocket in the center console.Even if the FOB battery is dead, the FOB will start the car as long as you place it on top of the FOB module.
You need to remove the center console box and place it directly on top of the receiver module.

If the 12 volt battery is dead, it's the same as any other car. Nothing will happen without 12 volts. It's no different because it's an EV. When an ICE car has no 12 volt power, it acts the same way. Just jump the 12 volt battery and you're good to go. Nothing special at all. It cracks me up when people think because it's an EV and the 12 volt battery goes dead it's somehow a big deal. Pay attention to what you're saying because you're not thinking logically and that's usually the BIGGER PROBLEM >:)
Please read my post instead of breaking it up to suite your taste.
Also be advised newer cars have the shift interlock and will not come out of park
without 12 volt battery power. Some have a manual override, but some are a PITA to use.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So you're saying if the key fob battery is completely dead, you can still start it with it in the center console? User manual mentions changing out battery as soon as possible.

·
Registered
989 Posts
So you're saying if the key fob battery is completely dead, you can still start it with it in the center console? User manual mentions changing out battery as soon as possible.

Try it! Take the battery out of the FOB after you opern the car.
Remove the center console box and lay the FOB directly on top of the receiver module,
and report back >:)

Make sure you remove the rubber liner from the bottom of the console and lay the FOB
in the cutout at the bottom front section of the console floor. You'll see it if you remove
the rubber liner. Let us know what happens :nerd:

Yes, if your battery is below 2.9 volts you'll experience communication issue's and
you should replace the FOB battery ASAP. I have had FOB's function for 3 plus
years without changing batteries. It all depends on use and how it's stored.

My truck FOB lives in the freezer and the Bolt FOB lives inside my black hole key pouch
whenever I'm not in the car. I don't take any chance with them being detected by crooks.

I love this car :D

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Please read my post instead of breaking it up to suite your taste. Also be advised newer cars have the shift interlock and will not come out of park
without 12 volt battery power. Some have a manual override, but some are a PITA to use.
Well, I guess I apologize for not knowing how modern ICE cars work. All of the ones I've ever owned can easily be put into neutral and pushed off the road even if the 12V battery is dead.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Video showing how to address fob issues

This video - youtube.com/watch?v=ILFYhMcnynE - shows how to use the physical key to get in your Bolt if the key fob fails, and how to start your Bolt if it reports that your key fob isn't present (but it actually is). Since these may be the result of a dead key fob battery, it also shows how to replace the battery.

My apologies that the silly ChevyBolt forum won't let me post that video as an actual link...

-Ron

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
This video - youtube.com/watch?v=ILFYhMcnynE - shows how to use the physical key to get in your Bolt if the key fob fails, and how to start your Bolt if it reports that your key fob isn't present (but it actually is). Since these may be the result of a dead key fob battery, it also shows how to replace the battery.

My apologies that the silly ChevyBolt forum won't let me post that video as an actual link...

-Ron
Here ya go

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
If you're really worried about it, keep a spare CR2032 battery in the glovebox.
5-6 year shelf life if not used.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts