Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my Bolt in November and think it's a very fun car to drive.
I'll be honest. It's not the nicest car out there, but it's starting to grow on me.
However I feel something seems to be off with the range.

I live near Ottawa, Ontario. Mornings are usually between -10C to 0C. Not too cold for Canadian Standards. What I can't understand is that I keep hearing about the Bolt having 383 kilometres of range, but I am nowhere near that. Fully charged, I see 283 kilometres range.

I admit I drive mostly on highways and go between 100-120km per hours, and the heating is set at about 20C. Radio is not blaring loud. That's it! Why am I getting some horrible range numbers?
I do about 200 kilometres a day driving. I am really not impressed with this range.

Please tell me this is NOT normal and something is wrong with my Bolt!

Thanks
Dino

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
well known that driving 75 mph results in 190 mile range. add in your cold weather. sounds about right.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Lucky to get 283 kM with that driving pattern. If you cannot slow down and use seat/steering wheel heat preferably to cabin air, you will have a long winter. EV driving is not "normal" driving. In some ways it is worse than ICEV, and in most ways it is better, but it is always different. (Or tell the spouse that you want to move to southern Virginia!)

·
Registered
220 Posts
There are lots of techniques to greatly improve your winter efficiency, and in turn extend the range. You might find that you will not or cannot slow down, use less heat, park inside, choose tires carefully, increase tire pressures, etc. You can still pull the rabbit out of the hat using these techniques if you need a range boost for a particular trip!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a roughly weekly commute of 190 miles each way. In colder weather, if I mostly use the seat and steering wheel warmers, occasionally blow just a little warmth on the windshield to keep it from fogging up, and go 60 mph most of the way, my Bolt makes it all the way fine. But I'm resigning myself to occasional fast charging through the colder months, because I'd rather not have to obsess about it; a half hour fast charge two thirds of the way through the trip means I can run the heater all I want and drive 70 mph most of the way.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Please tell me this is NOT normal and something is wrong
Sorry. There's probably nothing wrong. Ottawa is colder than Toronto, and here's what I'm seeing right now:

From fill to "hilltop reserve" ~89% full: expected range with 1/2 tank left is total of 256 kilometres. Compare that to September when the same statistic was 363, 368 kilometres. Close to 30% range reduction.

Granted I use more climate controls now. I do Precondition without being plugged in and leave the heat on (as the element is already warm) for a few minutes, but then turn heat off and go auto seat heat and/or steering wheel heat if needed. My battery usage screen shows 74% for operation and the rest for climate and battery conditioning. In September I was virtually 100% operation usage.

If you're losing 30% like me, your GOM number of 283 interpolates (extrapolates?) to a summer number of around 400 kilometres. BTW that's better than the EPA test @ 383 kilometres.

Don't feel bad, just keep enjoying your Bolt. Think: 400 kms range come spring/summer next year !

·
Registered
293 Posts
minimize the cabin heat (just enough to keep the windshield clear) and use the seat and wheel heaters.

Come spring you will think the thing is super-powered.

·
Registered
61 Posts
As others have said, that's probably the best you can expect, given your requirements.

I'm in Ottawa, but have a relatively short commute (10km each way, 80km max). I am using hilltop charging and winter tires. Guess'o'meter says ~ 250 km, with a max of 320 and a min of 190. I think the guess is probably very accurate in my case. I am also seeing about 25-30% used for climate, but if I brave the cold, I can easily drop that down to 15% (but I would not put my family through that).

If you have access to a side road with a 80km limit, you might find your range a lot better (others have posted, but 80km is a good sweet spot in terms of air resistance). If you can preheat at work and home, all the better, then rely on seat heat and wheel heat to get you home with minimal energy drain.

Sounds like you need the range, but most of us in the cold are using hill-top reserve to reduce the wear and tear on the battery over the winter - but if you can find some range savings from the ideas people have posted, consider using it.

Oh - and check your tire pressure! You should be at 38PSI, but with the cold weather, you might be at 35 or less - enough that your range could be impacted.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'll be honest. It's not the nicest car out there, but it's starting to grow on me.

I live near Ottawa, Ontario. Mornings are usually between -10C to 0C. Not too cold for Canadian Standards. What I can't understand is that I keep hearing about the Bolt having 383 kilometres of range, but I am nowhere near that. Fully charged, I see 283 kilometres range.

I admit I drive mostly on highways and go between 100-120km per hours, and the heating is set at about 20C. Radio is not blaring loud. That's it! Why am I getting some horrible range numbers?
I do about 200 kilometres a day driving. I am really not impressed with this range.

Thanks
Dino

Dino,

Do you have a level 2 charger at home? If not you should think about getting one. That way you can precondition the cabin and battery and use the electricity to do it. I just got my chargepoint charger in last night and tested it. It was drawing 7.7 kwh from the evse and not the battery during precondition. maybe do 2x10 minute sessions. Once the cabin is fully heated it only uses 1-2kwh to maintain cabin heat. I verified this during the snowstorm yesterday.

https://youtu.be/fNfRKDpsClk

Speed is an issue too 105kms is goo but higher than that it affects range much more.
But yeah thats what im seeing too.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Agree, those of us in the frozen north greatly benefit from preconditioning while plugged in to the Level 2 charger. Even though range is not an issue for our use, it's so nice to get into a warm car and then be able to use all the climate options without a thought.

Only slightly OT, but as an engine builder for fifty years, I always knew it was wearing out the ICE to crank on a below zero morning, drive five miles, shut off, chill all day and crank again to drive five miles home. Alternately, idling an ICE long enough to warm the engine/cabin is wasteful and polluting. If one plugs in an electric block heater to warm the ICE overnight, it's a short step logically to "why not an EV?"

jack vines

·
Registered
173 Posts
As others have said OP, the numbers are lining up with cold weather expectations. My numbers are in line with yours.

What level 2 charger are you looking at getting?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was getting close to 400 km range in the summer, but with the recent cold blast in Kitchener-Waterloo my range has dropped to about 275 km. I use the cabin heater generously, including when sitting idle waiting long periods of time to pick up my child after school/activities. I could extend the range by turning down the heat, but I have to given that my typically daily mileage including all errands is about 100 km.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm in Rockland and have a 115km commute each day and when I fully charge I can still get about 300kms, mind you I try not to go 120, as it makes a HUGE difference on the range.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Today was a data day for me. Now that I have my level 2 EVSE installed I thought I would try some of my thoughts about winter driving and range etc and share them.

Last evening it was 16F in Toronto and went down to 10F. Yes that's imperial F :) I got the Bolt back from the dealer after getting my infotainment system upgraded, washed and charged! That was nice of them! :) I drove it home and plugged it in for the night.

So here is a graph of the initial charge for the evening. One can see the 7.7kwh initial battery charge. I have it set for hilltop reserve (not hills here). Then it follows with a sub 2kwh charge that I assume is it conditioning the batteries. 3 hours later another condition of ~1.5kwh for one hour doing the same and again about 3 hours later.

The second graph is the entire charge cycle including me preconditioning the car for 10 minutes prior to leaving to run errands.

Outside temps were 18F. The drive consisted of about 50/50 city/hwy where highway was about 105kms to 108kms. Driving city was light to normal car driving with a couple of hard accelerations here and there. All this time I had 3 adults total in the car. I also had the heat on all the time, mostly on auto at 21C (yes metric).

What I found:
There was no battery conditioning during the driving (2.5-3 hours).
Climate usage was low, 17%
Used 22.1khw and travelled 95.8kms thats 4.33kms per Kwh or 2.71 mile per kwh.

I am actually quite happy with that number and I attribute that to the constant overnight battery conditioning going on and the 10 minute preconditioning prior to leaving. And my EVSE confirms the overnight conditioning and morning preconditioning was from it and not from the battery. Lastly subsequently keeping the cabin heat on all the time at a reasonable temperature is lower in cost than turning it on heating up then letting cabin get cold again, the rational being a short heat cycle only warms the air and not the cold mass of the inside of the vehicle (seats, plastics, dash, headliner etc). When you turn off the cold comes back fairly quick because you are never really heating the mass in the car (BTU loss through the car will always be the same).

Attachments

·
Registered
979 Posts
Very nice, i.b. But let’s not be too kind to our American friends… you got 23 kwh/100km. Range on that basis is: 60/23*100= 261 kilometres range (from “hilltop reserve” fill, right?) Based on my experience that’s around 30% reduction from summer situation. And around (1-(261/(383*.89))= 23.5% reduction from the EPA test estimate.

That’s right about what I’m seeing as well. Good to know. Thanks for all your data.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Very nice, i.b. But let’s not be too kind to our American friends… you got 23 kwh/100km. Range on that basis is: 60/23*100= 261 kilometres range (from “hilltop reserve” fill, right?) Based on my experience that’s around 30% reduction from summer situation. And around (1-(261/(383*.89))= 23.5% reduction from the EPA test estimate.

That’s right about what I’m seeing as well. Good to know. Thanks for all your data.
Yes that was from hilltop charge. again if you ad the 17% for heat your much closer but freezing :)

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
The wife drove to Charlottesville yesterday afternoon. The Bolt was plugged in all night, at hill top charge, in our 40F, unattached, insulated garage. I preheated the cabin, and seats with the car turned on, before she left, while plugged in. The temps were in the mid-to-low 30's F while she was gone. The car sat for 1 1/4 hours in a parking lot, at one point. She drove some state roads, and some interstate getting to and from town.

D&A 85%
CS 9%
BC 6%
16.6 kWh
52.7 miles
149 days, 6,413 trouble free miles, so far.

This was the first time I have noticed battery conditioning happening.

3.2 mi/kWh overall, 3.7 mi/kWh for D&A only. No surprise; I was fully prepared for 25-30% range reduction in winter.

Grew up in Wisconsin, loved visiting Canada in summer, moved to Virginia over 40 years ago, never miss the northern winters. :)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Here is last night charge. It seem that for some reason my mobile app has taken over ?? the time is gmt -6 hours. A little bug I guess. Car is still plugged in as I have not gone anywhere today. Last nights temps were sub zero again ( down to 9F) and 21F right now

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts

Thanks
Dino
This is great info since I have the exact same distance, driving patterns and weather (I'm in the GTA)...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts