Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I'm on my second Volt, a 2017 Premier, and upgraded to the '17 from a 2015 LT. I'm "hooked" on tax credits, and have mandatory distributions from my IRA that give me income (and tax thereon) whether or not I want it!) every year. So, I decided to flip the '17 Volt for a '17 Bolt and get the federal and Colorado credits for this year ($7500 + $5000!). Rick Alpern at Keyes Chevy in Van Nuys, Cali, made me the best deal I could find (invoice minus $5500), and I'm tacking a $700 COSTCO Cash Card on top of that (COSTCO Executive level membership cost was $120).

Now, I'm pondering the best way to get the Bolt from Van Nuys to Montrose, Colorado (850 miles). It appears that there are not enough fast-DC chargers along the route to make the trip very smooth, and I don't have time to wait for L2 charges en route. So, unless someone here has a better idea, I'm going to have it transported here by an auto carrier. Any alternate strategies that might be recommended would be appreciated!

The "range anxiety" solution that our Volts have given us is wonderful, but we have a 14 kW PV system, and while 90% of my mission is local miles with less than 30 miles per day, the "big city" around here is Grand Junction, 65 miles away, and I have grown so "electrodependent" that I fret agout the 70 gasoline miles on a round trip to GJ that the Volt reeds. So, in a few weeks, I'll be a Bolthead, and am really looking forward to it!

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
So the first Bolt I ever saw in my city, I followed the guy till he parked. He saw me gawking and was friendly by waving to me to come over. I asked him, where did he get a Bolt as I've been waiting for mine that I had ordered. He said he bought it out of Colorado and had it shipped. Premier with $2K off MSRP. So I think to myself, lucky people in Colorado. Apparently not. As you've gone to California to get yours.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I offered in the other thread to drive it from Van Nuys to you in Colorado if you will pay expenses and my plane trip back!

I haven't done the research needed, but you haven't replied either.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Should've read this post first. So I see you traded up by choice and not due to any issues with your 2017 Volt. Congrats on the new Bolt!

I still think the Volt's a good car now and for the near future since charging infrastructure is terrible. It's a great car for the EV curious and could possibly be the main car for a one-car family.

Now, the important question is: what color did you get?

Reactions: Dimitrij

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I offered in the other thread to drive it from Van Nuys to you in Colorado if you will pay expenses and my plane trip back!

I think the auto shipment was $850 but the cheapest flight I could find was $500 one-way. Then there's the charging costs, pit stops for energy and food, and you might as well just ship it since it'll be pristine when you get it and will be covered by shipper's insurance should anything happen to your Bolt.

·
Registered
36 Posts
but we have a 14 kW PV system, I'll be a Bolthead, and am really looking forward to it!
Congratulations on the fantastic savings you got on your new Bolt! Are you living off the grid? A 14 KW PV system is awesome!. On days that I drive my Bolt 100 - 120 miles it requires 25 - 32 KW to get it fully charged.

I have a 4 KW grid tie PV system and have had minimal electric bills for the Last 5 Years, but with the Bolt I'll start paying electric bills again which is fine with me.

On transporting your Bolt back up to Montrose, check with Horizon transport, Wakarusa Indiana. They can flatbed your bolt for a very reasonable rate and they have an excellent reputation. I know this because I used to work for Horizon transport when I was doing RV transports.

Have fun Bolting around in the Rockies

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow--Thanks for all the prompt responses!

Should've read this post first. So I see you traded up by choice and not due to any issues with your 2017 Volt. Congrats on the new Bolt!

I still think the Volt's a good car now and for the near future since charging infrastructure is terrible. It's a great car for the EV curious and could possibly be the main car for a one-car family.

Now, the important question is: what color did you get?
We live out in the country and have a 1984 F250 Diesel and 2011 F150 Crew Cab, so we’re fixed.

It’s Silver Ice! Here’s a link to the window sticker (identical to ours—VIN different since ours no longer in inventory), and another link to the factory and dealer invoices.

Sorry—I wasn’t tracking the other thread. My research (like yours in the subsequent post) led me to the conclusion that the fly-drive scenario was not cost effective, especially when a couple of motel nights for L2 charging is figured in. Open truck transport is $709. I’m still working on having an independent party inspect the Bolt prior to accepting it for loading on the truck. Any ideas?

Congratulations on the fantastic savings you got on your new Bolt! Are you living off the grid? A 14 KW PV system is awesome!. On days that I drive my Bolt 100 - 120 miles it requires 25 - 32 KW to get it fully charged.

I have a 4 KW grid tie PV system and have had minimal electric bills for the Last 5 Years, but with the Bolt I'll start paying electric bills again which is fine with me.
We are also grid tied with a net meter tariff (no TOD, and an annual buy-back at supplier’s wholesale power cost to “zero out” any banked energy), and have a large home and several outbuildings, all electric, so with the Volt averaging about 10 kWh per day, we usually just about break even. There’s 160 kW in the “bank” at the moment, but our upcoming winter heating use will eat that up pretty quickly!

Oops! I'm too much a Newbee to be allowed to link in posts. So here they are "longhand!" (type in the normal https slash-slhash, worldwide web etc. stuff and evernote dot com to make them work.

Sticker: /l/ABQXR_7UNJNOCIyJ2ock0fSFEM9Fslf6UsM
Invoices: /l/ABS_WMRQ8J1J6bB5CHDAJmnwH4C9ugCsZ7g[/url]

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sorry—I wasn’t tracking the other thread. My research (like yours in the subsequent post) led me to the conclusion that the fly-drive scenario was not cost effective, especially when a couple of motel nights for L2 charging is figured in. Open truck transport is $709. I’m still working on having an independent party inspect the Bolt prior to accepting it for loading on the truck. Any ideas?[/url]
I haven't done the Plugshare research. Where are the gaps and how bad are they. I was hoping to drive her straight through with no overnight stops.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Check out uShip.com.

Potential shippers bid for your business and ratings with comments have been given for them by past users. I live in Canada and I've used them twice for motorcycle transport between southern U.S. states and been more than pleased with the price and service. As I recall, in both cases it was drivers heading back home with an empty load that just wanted some extra income. You don't release the payment until the goods are received (and of course in good condition).

Enjoy your new Bolt!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the lead, but Montway Auto Transport $100 cheaper than uShip's best!

Still looking for a good way to get the Bolt inspected and test driven before loading on the truck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts