·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all;

It's time I said hello.

Hello.:D

It's just about time to buy a Bolt.
Last December my wife and I were driving along minding our own business when a guy going the other way decided that he wanted a donut. So he reached down to the passenger side floor board for his box of sugary goodness, drifted into our lane and hit us head-on. Ouch!
My wife and I were injured but we were released from the hospital that night. I'm still pulling glass slivers out of my hand.
Our beloved 2013 BMW X3 with 117,000 miles on it was no more. Now the driving duties have been picked up by our 2005 Tahoe with 256,000 miles on it.
We keep are cars a long time. But we do put miles on them.
Bakersfield to Palmdale at least 2 times a week sometimes more. That's $50 each trip.

I have asked my work place (12 Yrs there.) if I could charge an electric car there if I had one. They said yes if I buy the EVSE. So my wife and I started looking at BEV and PHEVs. The only one we were comfortable with is the Bolt.
We need to wait for the lakers to finish their work with the other driver. Then we will be buying a Bolt.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Man that's a serious head on collision, glad to hear you and the misses were okay. The Bolt is definitely among the EV segment leaders, and it's great to see that your work is supportive of the switch. Do you know as of yet if you want to get the base or premier model?

·
Registered
2018 Bolt Premium
15 Posts
You have to buy the EVSE?

Good morning all;

It's time I said hello.

Hello.:D

It's just about time to buy a Bolt.
Last December my wife and I were driving along minding our own business when a guy going the other way decided that he wanted a donut. So he reached down to the passenger side floor board for his box of sugary goodness, drifted into our lane and hit us head-on. Ouch!
My wife and I were injured but we were released from the hospital that night. I'm still pulling glass slivers out of my hand.
Our beloved 2013 BMW X3 with 117,000 miles on it was no more. Now the driving duties have been picked up by our 2005 Tahoe with 256,000 miles on it.
We keep are cars a long time. But we do put miles on them.
Bakersfield to Palmdale at least 2 times a week sometimes more. That's $50 each trip.

I have asked my work place (12 Yrs there.) if I could charge an electric car there if I had one. They said yes if I buy the EVSE. So my wife and I started looking at BEV and PHEVs. The only one we were comfortable with is the Bolt.
We need to wait for the lakers to finish their work with the other driver. Then we will be buying a Bolt.

When your work place said you can charge the vehicle if you buy the EVSE are you sure you understand what that is? The EVSE is the :Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment", that is the Charger. I just spent $636.00 (pl;us $85.00 installation by a qualified electrician) for an AeroEnvironment Level 2 AV 32 Amp Plug-In - 25ft Cable, UL-Listed charger. If you are thinking about using the standard 120V cord that is included with the Bolt you should see how long it takes to do a full charge. A Level 1 (120V) charger will do about 4.5miles/hour while a Level 2 (240V / 7.2kW) will do about 26 miles/hour.
Level 2, 32A, 240V, 25' cable, Plug-In, UL-Listed

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man that's a serious head on collision, glad to hear you and the misses were okay. The Bolt is definitely among the EV segment leaders, and it's great to see that your work is supportive of the switch. Do you know as of yet if you want to get the base or premier model?
Hi Dillon;
We've looked at both and are pretty set on the Premier.

Craig

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When your work place said you can charge the vehicle if you buy the EVSE are you sure you understand what that is? The EVSE is the :Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment", that is the Charger. I just spent $636.00 (pl;us $85.00 installation by a qualified electrician) for an AeroEnvironment Level 2 AV 32 Amp Plug-In - 25ft Cable, UL-Listed charger. If you are thinking about using the standard 120V cord that is included with the Bolt you should see how long it takes to do a full charge. A Level 1 (120V) charger will do about 4.5miles/hour while a Level 2 (240V / 7.2kW) will do about 26 miles/hour.
Level 2, 32A, 240V, 25' cable, Plug-In, UL-Listed
Hi fpliptak.
The building that I'm in (The IT building all 3 of us) has 240V 50A all over the place outside. The IT building is under the packing shed which just had all of the packing equipment removed. The company electrician will put a plug just outside my door when I am ready.
I'm looking at the OpenEVSE. Being the Techie that I am I enjoy building things. I built a Franken-Mac (A PC that runs Mac OS) not long ago. It has 4 21" monitors and I use it the monitor the companies network and servers.

Craig

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV Ioniq 5 reservation
1,729 Posts
CraigRobin: You will love your Bolt. With your warmer climes, you will get 220 miles every time and 250 many times. I have taken my Siemens VersiCharge out into the EV mountains where a NEMA 14-50 is ALL there is. You have to be careful that someone does not steal your EVSE investment. You may need a way to run a cord (you will have to make one like I did; there are NO commercial 240 volt extension cords) into your EV through a cracked window, keep the EVSE propped up in the EV to stay cool, and run its cable back out the window to the charge port.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Hi fpliptak.
The building that I'm in (The IT building all 3 of us) has 240V 50A all over the place outside. The IT building is under the packing shed which just had all of the packing equipment removed. The company electrician will put a plug just outside my door when I am ready.
I'm looking at the OpenEVSE. Being the Techie that I am I enjoy building things. I built a Franken-Mac (A PC that runs Mac OS) not long ago. It has 4 21" monitors and I use it the monitor the companies network and servers.

Craig
Open EVSE is a good option but when I priced it out I was better off just buying a JuiceBox

https://www.walmart.com/ip/JuiceBox...on-with-24-Cable-and-NEMA-14-50-Plug/49802225

Also, the Stock EVSE that is supplied with the Bolt is actually a Clipper Creek design and is rated for 240 VAC, Many folks build an adapter and use it to charge @ about 8mi/hr. Could be all you need is that 240V socket installed, the stock EVSE, and an adapter.

https://goo.gl/qA8mLY

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Open EVSE is a good option but when I priced it out I was better off just buying a JuiceBox

https://www.walmart.com/ip/JuiceBox...on-with-24-Cable-and-NEMA-14-50-Plug/49802225

Also, the Stock EVSE that is supplied with the Bolt is actually a Clipper Creek design and is rated for 240 VAC, Many folks build an adapter and use it to charge @ about 8mi/hr. Could be all you need is that 240V socket installed, the stock EVSE, and an adapter.

https://goo.gl/qA8mLY
Hi WonderBolt.

Never thought of looking at Walmart. They are $10 less than OpenEVSE.

Our local dealer always includes a 2nd stock evse so you can send it off to be updated.

Thanks.

Craig

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
? I am not sure I understand, nothing should be required to "be sent off to be updated"

The second link I provided advocates using the stock Bolt EVSE unmodified
with a simple plug adapter that you can buy or build.
The dealer orders a 2nd stock evse with the car. Then the buyer goes to evseupgrade.com. http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=31
For $149 they do what ever mods are needed and add the correct 240V input cable.
However, I like your idea. it sounds cheaper. I will look into it.

Thanks.
Craig

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
The dealer orders a 2nd stock evse with the car. Then the buyer goes to evseupgrade.com. http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=31
For $149 they do what ever mods are needed and add the correct 240V input cable.
However, I like your idea. it sounds cheaper. I will look into it.

Thanks.
Craig
They are just replacing the plug, if you thought you were going that direction I would ask if the new plug contains a thermal sensor like the stock plug.
And yes, that is more expensive than this
https://www.etsy.com/listing/384390572/chevy-volt-chevy-bolt-ev-level-2-charge

1 - 13 of 13 Posts