1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The War is ON! ;)

Who do you think will win?

Quote:

"The fight brewing between General Motors and Tesla Motors is shaping up to be nastier. Both will soon be going after the customer who can spend $30,000 or more on an electric car, as GM launches the Chevy Bolt at the end of this year and Tesla begins selling the Model 3 in 2017. GM showed off the Bolt in January, and Tesla will unveil the Model 3 on March 31."

My friend is already lined up at the store today at 7am to check out the Model 3 Tesla! Apparently 7am wasn't early enough... there's like about 30 people ahead of him in the line!

Crazy competition. It's a head to head match! :eek:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Oh, I heard about people camping outside to get one too. Don't really see why people can't wait and they don't even know the specs of the Model 3 yet. Hard to say who will win.

Chevy Bolt VS Model 3

Specs?
What standard equipment each model comes with?
How much optional features cost to get what I want?
How much they'll cost after rebates in the various states?
Marketing plan?

I personally won't put down anything until I've read a few reviews and test driven them myself.

·
Registered
862 Posts
We all win.
We have choices and the competition results in better cars.

I'm actually fairly likely to own both. The Bolt will replace our Fit EV, and when the Model 3 comes out in 2-3 years it will likely replace our hybrid (I would prefer that SC access is NOT included but is pay as you go on the Model 3).

While I'm very interested in what Tesla shows tonight, they will reveal more as they get "closer to production". In other words, the design is not complete and they are "revealing" the Model 3 at this time only because of the Bolt coming to market. They have apparently convinced tens (or hundreds) of thousands of people to give them $1000 for a future chance to order an unknown product. With a marketing budget of $0.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, I heard about people camping outside to get one too. Don't really see why people can't wait and they don't even know the specs of the Model 3 yet. Hard to say who will win.

Chevy Bolt VS Model 3

Specs?
What standard equipment each model comes with?
How much optional features cost to get what I want?
How much they'll cost after rebates in the various states?
Marketing plan?

I personally won't put down anything until I've read a few reviews and test driven them myself.
Yeah.. tell me about it... two of my buddies are lining up to check it out. I think they're crazy! Waste of time but that's just my personal opinion. I think one has been waiting since 7am....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We all win.
We have choices and the competition results in better cars.

I'm actually fairly likely to own both. The Bolt will replace our Fit EV, and when the Model 3 comes out in 2-3 years it will likely replace our hybrid (I would prefer that SC access is NOT included but is pay as you go on the Model 3).

While I'm very interested in what Tesla shows tonight, they will reveal more as they get "closer to production". In other words, the design is not complete and they are "revealing" the Model 3 at this time only because of the Bolt coming to market. They have apparently convinced tens (or hundreds) of thousands of people to give them $1000 for a future chance to order an unknown product. With a marketing budget of $0.

haha i like the positivity and being neutral!

Yeah as much as I'm interested in seeing it tonight, I ain't going to join in on that line up lol!

That's a scary deal... marketing budget $0??

Is that why people are lining up for this offer??

·
Registered
428 Posts

Is the lineup just to see the car, or is it to get on a waiting list? Either way, doesn't seem worth it to me. Don't these people have jobs, or something better to do than look at a car that isn't even the final product, and they won't see for years even if they get on the waiting list now?

Saw this article today.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/interviews/a28661/meet-the-guy-waiting-to-be-first-in-line-to-reserve-a-model-3/

With the reveal of the $35,000 Tesla Model 3 right around the corner, a lot of people are understandably excited. But some Tesla fans are taking it to the extreme, lining up outside their local Tesla stores a day in advance, just to put down a $1000 reservation on a car that won't hit the streets until next year. What makes a person camp out on the sidewalk to reserve a car he or she hasn't even seen yet? We caught up with the guy who's first in line at the Tesla store in Santa Monica to find out...

The way he puts it, Nelson is a true believer:
"I love the auto industry, and I think the fact that a new company can come in and completely shake it up while challenging others to be more environmentally friendly is great. I want to be part of a brand and not just have a car. Tesla is a very unique brand. It has something special and has made electric cars cool. I still love companies like Honda, Ford, and Toyota. I've just never had an electric car, and I'm ready to try something completely different than I'm used to."

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Is the lineup just to see the car, or is it to get on a waiting list? Either way, doesn't seem worth it to me. Don't these people have jobs, or something better to do than look at a car that isn't even the final product, and they won't see for years even if they get on the waiting list now?

Saw this article today.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/interviews/a28661/meet-the-guy-waiting-to-be-first-in-line-to-reserve-a-model-3/
Well, for my friend, he lined up just to get on the waiting list. I believe he took the day off which is crazy.

Apparently, he said 7am wasn't early enough.... As you can see the picture below.

In the mean while my other buddy also reserved one and got a glimpse.

I don't know if it's worth it...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Well, for my friend, he lined up just to get on the waiting list. I believe he took the day off which is crazy.

Apparently, he said 7am wasn't early enough.... As you can see the picture below.

In the mean while my other buddy also reserved one and got a glimpse.

I don't know if it's worth it...
The thing with people waiting to reserve one first is for the rebates. Once Tesla uses them up then the federal rebates will be less and less making the Model 3 not as affordable.

Chevy must be eyeing Tesla with envy; $0 spent on marketing and around 115,000 orders for the car had been placed in the 24 hours preceding the reveal.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The thing with people waiting to reserve one first is for the rebates. Once Tesla uses them up then the federal rebates will be less and less making the Model 3 not as affordable.

Chevy must be eyeing Tesla with envy; $0 spent on marketing and around 115,000 orders for the car had been placed in the 24 hours preceding the reveal.
You're right, because he told me it was $1000 rebate for it.

I still think it's crazy to place orders without knowing what was under that car cover... Plus waiting 1-2 years for it to be in the market and in their hands to take home.

I believe they're gonna struggle with that mass order since they had $0 on marketing... is there money for the mass production?

Quote:

"Mr. Musk realizes things haven’t always gone as planned, but said he wants to hit targets. “I do feel fairly confident it will be next year,” Mr. Musk said, laughing. The company has struggled to launch vehicles on time under his watch."

·
Registered
862 Posts
You're right, because he told me it was $1000 rebate for it.

I believe they're gonna struggle with that mass order since they had $0 on marketing... is there money for the mass production?

Quote:

"Mr. Musk realizes things haven’t always gone as planned, but said he wants to hit targets. “I do feel fairly confident it will be next year,” Mr. Musk said, laughing. The company has struggled to launch vehicles on time under his watch."
1) It is NOT a rebate, it is a $7500 Tax Credit (if you don't have a tax liability >=$7500 in the year of purchase, you cannot claim the entire amount and any surplus does not roll over)
For vehicles acquired after December 31, 2009, the credit is equal to $2,500 plus, for a vehicle which draws propulsion energy from a battery with at least 5 kilowatt hours of capacity, $417, plus an additional $417 for each kilowatt hour of battery capacity in excess of 5 kilowatt hours. The total amount of the credit allowed for a vehicle is limited to $7,500.

2) It phases out after a manufacturer hits 200K vehicles sold (when Title passes to the taxpayer under applicable state law).
The qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle credit phases out for a manufacturer’s vehicles over the one-year period beginning with the second calendar quarter after the calendar quarter in which at least 200,000 qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer have been sold for use in the United States (determined on a cumulative basis for sales after December 31, 2009) (“phase-out period”). Qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are eligible for 50 percent of the credit if acquired in the first two quarters of the phase-out period and 25 percent of the credit if acquired in the third or fourth quarter of the phase-out period. Vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are not eligible for a credit if acquired after the phase-out period.

3) 0$ on market = MORE money to spend on production (and their bank balance is about $200 million more than it was a couple of days ago)

4) To me it appeared that Elon didn't even believe it himself when he said late 2017. Plus the first 50K+ will be delivered to current Tesla owners followed by those those that order higher spec configurations - if you want the $35K version, you're gonna have to wait. Elon figures the average price will be $42K.

Your other option is to buy one off of ebay when deliveries start. Many (most) people placing early reservations put down money for 2. They are probably planning on selling for a profit (reservations aren't transferable, but once you buy the car it's yours to do with as you please.

I'll wait for the dust to settle (and likely drive a Bolt in the meantime) before looking very closely at the Model 3. Who knows what else will be on the market in 3 years.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Thanks for the reminder Mike. I myself forgot that Tesla was trying to revolutionize the auto industry and they're succeeding.
We've got so many electric vehicles coming in the next few years and sure not all of them will hit the 200 mile range but buyers now have the option to choose.

I would still stick with the Bolt since it's going to be released before the Model 3 and there's less of a fight for one. If I order one now I'd be so far down the waiting list I probably won't get one until a year or two after they hit showroom floors.

·
Registered
639 Posts

last i checked it took in 275,000 orders, that's A LOT. I have a feeling we'll be seeing more of these than anything else in the segment and not just right from the start when these start showing up on the road but over time.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have a 35 minute commute, of which about 20 minutes is very compatible with Tesla's autopilot. I don't know of any other manufacturer that will have the autopilot level of functionality at this optioned pricepoint anytime soon. Independent of all the other comparison points, it sure would be nice to offload my brain for 40min each day.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have a 35 minute commute, of which about 20 minutes is very compatible with Tesla's autopilot. I don't know of any other manufacturer that will have the autopilot level of functionality at this optioned pricepoint...
I don't think you'll see autopilot at $35K. The sensors are all there, but it will be an added cost option. And by the time you can take delivery on a Model 3, who knows what other manufacturers will have to offer.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Right, that why I said "optioned pricepoint". ;)

The technology trickels down from the luxury models. If Cadillac, BMW or MB had a competitive autopilot system now in their luxobarges, we could guess it would be in their entry luxury cars in 4-6 years or so. But they don't have a competitive system at any pricepoint now, so the chances of getting automated driving in a 3-series or ATS in 3 years is just about zero.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah at this rate, I'll order the bolt right now. The fight/reservation/wait for the Model 3 to me is not worth it.

It's true how the Model 3 is adding pressuring to the other dealers that's coming out with the EVs. I think the hype is just going to die down soon as it's gonna be awhile until the Model 3 comes into play.

Also the Telsa autopilot is neat, I highly doubt that the price is going to be in the 30-40s. Probably going to cost alot more.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
If you want the optional autopilot, it's going to be around $3,000 more than the base price. The tech is already built into the car, you just pay to activate it. I guess it's worth it if you can spend 40 minutes a day relaxing in your car while it drives itself.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I just wanted to post a fwe pictures of the Model 3 so that we have something to go off of when comparing.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts