Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, before everybody starts complaining, very few will actually get 281 mile range. Let me explain my
experience with the car.

I just finished driving my first 1000 miles in a new Premier Bolt-EV (Betty). Betty has run flawlessly and I
love the car. I've read a lot about the seats -- but they've worked fine for me -- not as comfortable as my
2011 Volt (Veronica) but not a problem for a 6' 195 pounder. I hated the rear view mirror camera for the first
48 hours (my old eyes could not adjust) but love it now. I've had a big problem with blind spots in Veronica
but no more in Betty.

The big surprise for me has been Betty's range. My commute to work is a daily 82 mile round trip from Los
Altos, CA to San Ramon and back -- mostly flat except for the Sunol grade which is a modest pass through the
hills surrounding the Bay Area with 95% of the drive on freeways. Because I drove to work for over 5 years in
Veronica at the absolute limit of its range, always striving to do the drive on battery only, I've developed
very conservative driving habits -- unreasonable for most, I drive 55 on the freeway with no climate control
except occasional fan on the windshield for defrosting in winter (hey, it's California weather). I understand
most folks can't/won't drive that way and don't have the kind of weather I have. There's no reason to drive
Betty that conservatively so I'll eventually change my driving style but old habits are hard to break.

It was funny watching Betty learn to estimate my range. The first morning Betty was fully charged, the midpoint
range was 230 miles. 2nd morning 256 miles, 3rd 270, then 288, 299, 300, 303. You get the picture. It
settled at around 300 miles.

But what about real, measured range? This week as I approached 1000 lifetime miles, I stopped charging Betty
overnight to see how far I could go on a single charge. Here are the results over the last 3 days (85% of the
miles are my regular commute):

281.4 miles driven
56.9 kwh used
ending range estimate: min 18 miles, midpoint 22 miles, max 25 miles
lifetime miles/kwh 4.7
usable battery capacity = 56.9+4.68 = 61.58 kwh (factoring in lifetime miles/kwh and estimated remaining range)

So given my particular usage of the car, and the fact that I would never drive the car lower than 22 miles
estimated remaining range, my usable range is 281 miles.

Betty got seriously concerned when the estimated range reached low levels. At midpoint range estimate 45
miles, the battery indicator turned orange. At 36 miles, the radio stopped until I pressed a key on the
console. Eventually, an error message popped up on the driver screen indicating the need to immediately
charge.

Following the range test, I charged Betty at an EVgo 50kw fast DC charger. In 30 minutes, Betty received 22.25
kWh and 105 estimated (midpoint) additional miles range.

I've attached images of the important screens.

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts
Did you note the battery level percentage, obtained from either the myChevrolet app or on the EVgo display, at the beginning of the fast charging session?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
evgo charger screen

I didn't think to check the app but I did snap a photo of the evgo charging station at the beginning of the charge. It's the first time I've used one of these fast chargers -- I wasn't sure what the percentage referred to. See attached photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts
Interesting. That percentage is given to the station by the car. It's reporting between 6.5 and 7.5% remaining after using 56.9 kWh. That implies a usable capacity between 60.9 and 61.5 kWh.

Also, I'll note that the car was given 22.25 kWh from the charger, but the actual energy stored in the battery is slightly less due to the battery's internal resistance (it heats up). Those charging losses, at ~40kW, might be 5%. So the battery might have actually gained only ~21.1 kWh.

Since the battery level increased between 33 and 35% [40.5-7.5 and 41.5-6.5] after storing 21.1 kWh, that implies a usable capacity somewhere between 60.3 and 63.9 kWh.

The range for both of these estimates is notably above the 60kWh usable capacity that many are assuming.

·
Registered
734 Posts
How do you like the one-pedal driving experience? It's just insane the range of situations we can use it in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
one pedal driving

Yes, I've used L on my Volt for years and was excited to see that the Bolt is even better. I drive in L all of the time in the Bolt. The one thing I worry about is no brake light. I haven't seen whether the Bolt activates the brake light when slowing quickly in L or with the steering wheel paddle. Does anybody know?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Chevy claims the brake lights will come on when regen in Low or with the paddles, which would make sense since it needs to display brake lights once it is stopped.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Chevy claims the brake lights will come on when regen in Low or with the paddles, which would make sense since it needs to display brake lights once it is stopped.
Hello sharkvolt - Where does Chevy claim this? I have not seen anything official, but would really like to know exactly when the brake lights come on and go off.

I've seen one or two videos where people confirmed that the brake lights do come on in at least some cases of regen. I've also seen speculation/rumor that the brake lights go/stay on for regen only when the amount of regeneration is above x kilowatts, whether the car is in L or D or with or without the paddle. Someone mentioned that the brake lights go off as the car slows below ~5mph under L/paddle regeneration, which would be consistent with the 'lights for x or more kw regen' theory. If there is an 'x', I'd like to know what it is!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Ok, before everybody starts complaining, very few will actually get 281 mile range. Let me explain my
experience with the car.

I just finished driving my first 1000 miles in a new Premier Bolt-EV (Betty). Betty has run flawlessly and I
love the car. I've read a lot about the seats -- but they've worked fine for me -- not as comfortable as my
2011 Volt (Veronica) but not a problem for a 6' 195 pounder. I hated the rear view mirror camera for the first
48 hours (my old eyes could not adjust) but love it now. I've had a big problem with blind spots in Veronica
but no more in Betty.

The big surprise for me has been Betty's range. My commute to work is a daily 82 mile round trip from Los
Altos, CA to San Ramon and back -- mostly flat except for the Sunol grade which is a modest pass through the
hills surrounding the Bay Area with 95% of the drive on freeways. Because I drove to work for over 5 years in
Veronica at the absolute limit of its range, always striving to do the drive on battery only, I've developed
very conservative driving habits -- unreasonable for most, I drive 55 on the freeway with no climate control
except occasional fan on the windshield for defrosting in winter (hey, it's California weather). I understand
most folks can't/won't drive that way and don't have the kind of weather I have. There's no reason to drive
Betty that conservatively so I'll eventually change my driving style but old habits are hard to break.

It was funny watching Betty learn to estimate my range. The first morning Betty was fully charged, the midpoint
range was 230 miles. 2nd morning 256 miles, 3rd 270, then 288, 299, 300, 303. You get the picture. It
settled at around 300 miles.

But what about real, measured range? This week as I approached 1000 lifetime miles, I stopped charging Betty
overnight to see how far I could go on a single charge. Here are the results over the last 3 days (85% of the
miles are my regular commute):

281.4 miles driven
56.9 kwh used
ending range estimate: min 18 miles, midpoint 22 miles, max 25 miles
lifetime miles/kwh 4.7
usable battery capacity = 56.9+4.68 = 61.58 kwh (factoring in lifetime miles/kwh and estimated remaining range)

So given my particular usage of the car, and the fact that I would never drive the car lower than 22 miles
estimated remaining range, my usable range is 281 miles.

Betty got seriously concerned when the estimated range reached low levels. At midpoint range estimate 45
miles, the battery indicator turned orange. At 36 miles, the radio stopped until I pressed a key on the
console. Eventually, an error message popped up on the driver screen indicating the need to immediately
charge.

Following the range test, I charged Betty at an EVgo 50kw fast DC charger. In 30 minutes, Betty received 22.25
kWh and 105 estimated (midpoint) additional miles range.

I've attached images of the important screens.
Wow, lifetime 4.7 miles/kWh. Mine is running 3.7 to 3.8, but that includes frequent going up and down a steep hill in Berkeley. The estimated mileage does wonder around, especially going up and down the hill. I would like it if it estimated the remaining kWh instead of just estimated range.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts