Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
When the Bolt is plugged in, fully charged but in a hot garage (>90 degrees), do we know how much power the Bolt continues to draw for the active cooling? I currently have a Leaf in Phoenix, so I'm well aware of battery degradation issues. I also have Time-Of-Use rates, and it would be great if I could get it so it only did the cooling during the off-peak hours, if that's OK for the battery. It sounds like it's activating the A/C compressor for this, I'm thinking it would be somewhere around 1000-2000W when it needs to run.

·
Registered
862 Posts
When the Bolt is plugged in, fully charged but in a hot garage (>90 degrees), do we know how much power the Bolt continues to draw for the active cooling? I currently have a Leaf in Phoenix, so I'm well aware of battery degradation issues. I also have Time-Of-Use rates, and it would be great if I could get it so it only did the cooling during the off-peak hours, if that's OK for the battery. It sounds like it's activating the A/C compressor for this, I'm thinking it would be somewhere around 1000-2000W when it needs to run.
Delaying the cooling defeats the purpose.
It does make sense to delay charging, as that creates additional heat and will most likely activate 2 of the 3 cooling loops (Electronics and battery).
More than one owner moving from a LEAF has been alarmed by the noise from the fans etc when its sitting in the garage. Desn't even have to be charging. It's doing that to protect your battery and minimize heat related degradation.

If it were me, I'd keep it plugged in and pay a little a month to maintain the battery. Your probably talking <$1/mo

·
Registered
612 Posts
A different battery/environment question: Thinking about Houston - what happens when you drive a Bolt through 6 inches of water? 12 inches? 18 inches?

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
A different battery/environment question: Thinking about Houston - what happens when you drive a Bolt through 6 inches of water? 12 inches? 18 inches?
I think the battery pack and related items are pretty well sealed, but I think fording streams an floods is not the wisest thing to do with a Bolt. Probably GM and others will find out because I'm sure there are at least a few flooded Bolts down there now. If nothing else probably on dealer lots. I'm sure somebody will poke around in one to see how well it held up.

·
Registered
612 Posts
... I'm sure there are at least a few flooded Bolts down there now. If nothing else probably on dealer lots. I'm sure somebody will poke around in one to see how well it held up.
The results will be interesting to see.

The reason I'm asking: I recently got two incredibly ignorant replies from neighbors when I mentioned my interest in a Bolt.
First neighbor said EV's cause far higher coal burning at the generating plants. Uh no.
Second neighbor said too many electrocutions in EV's. Hadn't I heard?

WTH???

I figured both neighbors just got their 'news' from the propaganda channel. Actually the second neighbor works at one.

But now with the Houston flooding that second reply came to mind. An EV wouldn't flood out like an ICE, you could keep moving until you were afloat. I wonder if the 400 volt battery could be an unancipated hazard if the car goes submerged, to you or to eventual salvage operators.

Are there any accounts of electrical hazard on prior EV's, Leaf or something?

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Just read this post on InsideEVs.

Glen Jenkins
September 2, 2017 at 7:05 pm
I live in Houston and want to let you guys know that about 16″ of flood water killed my Bolt. My Bolt was in my garage. The total electrical system ceased to function. I could not even unlock the doors, had to use the emergency key to pry off the lock cover to unlock the doors. My insurance company has totaled the Bolt and so am awaiting an agreeable reimbursement settlement. Their current offer was for 86% of the amount that I paid 8 weeks ago, not acceptable.

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
Just read this post on InsideEVs.

Glen Jenkins
September 2, 2017 at 7:05 pm
I live in Houston and want to let you guys know that about 16″ of flood water killed my Bolt. My Bolt was in my garage. The total electrical system ceased to function. I could not even unlock the doors, had to use the emergency key to pry off the lock cover to unlock the doors. My insurance company has totaled the Bolt and so am awaiting an agreeable reimbursement settlement. Their current offer was for 86% of the amount that I paid 8 weeks ago, not acceptable.
Well there you go folks. Don't go driving through deep puddles and flood waters. Likely you will find yourself in a dead car. Kind of like what happens a lot with ICE powered cars.

I think I read how the Bolt (and likely all EVs) have basically circuit protection device for things like this and for crashes. Kind of like you GFCI in your home, if a short circuit condition is detected, it instantly cuts off all power to everything. I am a little surprised that the 12v system was down too, but I suppose they cut the power there too for safety in the event of a crash.

The sad part of that story is 14% depreciation in 8 weeks.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I can verify that the cooling system does activate when not plugged in. On and off. I believe as per previous threads that there is a Safty turn off at a certain percentage to not drain the battery completely.
My question is at what temperature does it kick in. I am sure 118 on a parking lots is not hot enough. It took driving my car for 30 min. Parking the car with air conditioner on for 10 min before the BTM kicked in. Fairly confident that parked in a parking lot will not get dangerously hot for the battery.

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
I can verify that the cooling system does activate when not plugged in. On and off. I believe as per previous threads that there is a Safty turn off at a certain percentage to not drain the battery completely.
My question is at what temperature does it kick in. I am sure 118 on a parking lots is not hot enough. It took driving my car for 30 min. Parking the car with air conditioner on for 10 min before the BTM kicked in. Fairly confident that parked in a parking lot will not get dangerously hot for the battery.
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure I've heard my BTM system running without being plugged in. I believe it kicks in around 100F.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think part of the high depreciation reflects the effect of tax credits.
Nope, at least not directly.

What the insurance company should be paying is the actual cash value of the vehicle, basically what it would cost to replace it.

Now the problem with a new car, sold in limited quantities, is that the insurance company can't find a used Bolt on the market (probably).

I had a similar experience with a Spark EV, except I think I had it less than two weeks or so. Insurance company did the same standard calculation that basically says the day you drive a new vehicle off the lot it is worth 15% less. My vehicle had about 200 miles on the odometer. They came up with 1 listing for a used Spark EV with 6000 miles on it as a comparable. I declined that as a comparable and they eventually admitted there was no used market for the Spark EV and paid full new retail on my claim.

Unfortunately it was a lease, if I had purchased it I would have pocketed the $2500 CA rebate and $7500 federal tax credit and made money on the deal.

There are going to be a lot of flood vehicles hitting the market in a month or so, buyer beware as too many shady people wash titles on cars and it is quite likely some of those flood vehicles are going to be sold with clean looking titles.

Usually your insurance company should tell you what the salvage value of the vehicle is. If it is low enough you might want to snatch it up instead of letting it go to auction. With 16" of water a lot of valuable electronics should be fine and the battery pack is worth quite a bit if it avoided any water intrusion. I tried to get my Spark EV from the salvage yard to an interested buyer but, unfortunately, I was out of the country and couldn't arrange it.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts