Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's a loaded question and probably too subjective to truly answer but has anyone out there had the chance to compare the standard audio system to the upgraded Bose system? Is the sound quality really improved enough to go for the added expense? I listen to a varied mix of music from 60's-90's rock to punk to bluegrass and jazz to classical and I like a system that can handle a wide range of styles. It all depends on my mood and my mood improves when the music sounds full and clear!

I'm wondering if any of you are experienced?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Unfortunately, when I got to take my test drive, we didn't test out any of the audio system and that's something I really regret. There was another owner on here that ended up doing an speaker overhaul on his Bolt though, hopefully he can chime in?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Yeah I'm not wanting to relive my misspent youth, lol, I just like a full range sound. The gen1 Bose system was more designed for energy savings than sound it seems. It's good to hear that it improved in the gen2 volt. I keep thinking I'd like to get a high rez portable player like a pono but it's not much use if the car speakers can't reproduce the range of sound. The Monsoon system sounds like it was really nice!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you plan to switch out the stock system for Bose or Monsoon? Here's the thread with members who has installed aftermarket sound systems: http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/26-electronics-audio-lighting/4546-any-other-music-lovers-audiophiles-have-plan-upgrade-audio-6.html
No I'm not brave enough to do that anymore but if the speakers have a good dynamic range and sound noticeably better than the stock units I'd be happy. I'm sure I'll get the upgrade I was just hoping someone had the chance to compare the two. I have only been in Bolts with the base sound system.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
This was the only comparison I found. Maybe your dealership has a standard and Bose Bolt sitting on their lot and you can give the systems a try yourself.

I purchased the upgraded audio and frankly like the sound. It integrates nicely with the car. I would not bother trying to upgrade. Generally everything is matched so when you start changing things you really need to consider each speakers impedance, as well as the power to drive them. The up charge for the Boise was $485 in addition to having the Premium Trim. Thus far really happy with the Sound.
Manny

·
Registered
179 Posts
I know it's a loaded question and probably too subjective to truly answer but has anyone out there had the chance to compare the standard audio system to the upgraded Bose system? Is the sound quality really improved enough to go for the added expense? I listen to a varied mix of music from 60's-90's rock to punk to bluegrass and jazz to classical and I like a system that can handle a wide range of styles. It all depends on my mood and my mood improves when the music sounds full and clear!

I'm wondering if any of you are experienced?
The primer Bolt Bose upgrade is way better than the Bose system in my 2012 Suburban.

Reactions: wainair

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the Bose audio upgrade and I've been very pleased with the sound. It sounds a lot better than the audio system that was in my 2011 Leaf.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I listen to a varied mix of music from 60's-90's rock to punk to bluegrass and jazz to classical and I like a system that can handle a wide range of styles. It all depends on my mood and my mood improves when the music sounds full and clear!
I've heard the standard system, and it's not bad. The Bose system in the Bolt provides a bit more of that "you are there" quality. The subwoofer is not that noticeable, until you play music with very low bass like Rihanna's "Stay". When it kicks in, it feels like it's shaking the cabin. If you care about music as much as I think you do, then I'd say go for the upgrade. And this is coming from someone who used to poo poo Bose as an audio equipment reviewer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a somewhat different view. As a recovering audio engineer, I think virtually ALL autosound systems are long on hype and short on actual performance, so keep that in mind.
We only picked up our 2017 Bolt Premier (Bose) this last Tuesday so I haven't spent all that much time with it, but here goes:

. It plays plenty loud enough for me, and the subwoofer makes adequate thump.
. Subwoofer response is typical of Bose - instead of the response being trimmed objectively to fit the cabin, Bose apparently came up with their own "thing", and you'll either agree with them or you won't. I don't.
. Sirius/XM audio quality is, well, Sirius/XM quality. Bass is rolled off and compression used to maximize use of bandwidth. (subjectively, IMHO it stinks but remember it stinks everywhere, not just here)
. FM sensitivity appears to be quite a bit lower than the better aftermarket systems, probably average at best.
. It's quite a bit better than the Bang and Olufsen system in my Audi A7, but that wouldn't take much - that one is my Gold Turkey Standard.
. Overall distortion levels are typical of middle-of-the-road autosound - IE not good, but neither is much of the competition. (so average)

So... If you are in the group that feels satellite radio and MP3's are good enough, I'd say it's good enough. If satellite radio makes you cringe and MP3's make you want to kick something, then probably not. Replacing speaker drivers won't really fix it either, so buyer beware - lots of hype in that market, like most others these days.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have the Bose system and I have been pretty happy with it so far. I imagine if you are an audiophile that you may just be better off getting the standard system and doing the upgrades yourself.

·
Registered
979 Posts
The system should have preset availability for max audio volume upon turn-on. If it does I haven't found it yet. When listening to music from my iphone it requires more volume. After restarting the vehicle the Sirius XM blasts out unexpectedly very loudly.

Otherwise the Bose system isn't too bad after pumping up the tone controls.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
If you play pristine all-digital modern bass-heavy electronic music it's just okay, for older 60's, 70's and 80's analog recordings with limited dynamic range... it's lacking.

I'd rate it as mediocre overall and the sub really has a poor crossover network and is not adjustable so it's not really a low sub but a kind of midrange/low sub. No crisp low end punch IMO because of the poor sub crossover or maybe the sub speaker size?

In a nutshell... if I had this exact system installed at a car audio shop... I'd be pretty disappointed.

Being that you still have a choice... go to a decent local audio shop and spend your $$ there... you'll be much happier with dedicated components of your choosing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've ordered a 2018 Premier and am being told by my dealer that the Infotainment Package (which includes the Bose Premium 7-Speaker Audio System with sub woofer) is a standard feature on the 2018 Premier. A GM agent also just confirmed this is the case. It's listed as a $565 CAD option for the 2017 Premier on the Chevrolet "Build and Price". Could anyone else confirm it's now standard on 2018 Premiers? Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts