Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Update after almost a year with this annoying ticking/clicking noise:
1) I ended up by replacing the iBooster two times, both times with a used one. I did everything by myself. If you need advices for the replacement I'll be glad to help you.
2) I disassembled the original iBooster to inspect what was wrong with the internals. Mechanically everything looks in perfect condition, no signs of wear of any of gears. So definitely the attached electronics or the attached position sensor failed. You can change this sensor but to do that anyway to have to remove the full brake booster first to gain access to it.
Would appreciate any help you can give about replacing the booster yourself. I may try to replace myself if it doesn't seem too difficult. However if I screw it up I don't have a car to drive so that may be a deciding factor. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
FWIW, I have a ’17 Bolt with 21,724 miles on it, 4 1/2 months out of warranty. I was out-of-town for a month and returned two weeks ago and the tap-tap-tap was present for the first time. Thanks to this forum and insideevs.com I’ve traced it to the iBooster, like others. Very disappointing, especially as I’m dubious that GM will cover it. Seems like a pretty common failure, there should be a recall on it. While I’m not the savviest of mechanics, I’m definitely interested in what’s involved in doing it myself, as Mindaugas has done twice.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Add me to the growing list of people with this issue. 2017 Bolt with 22,100 miles. I have 2 weeks left on the bumper to bumper warranty. Hopefully, I can get it in and repaired within that time if that's the portion of the warranty that covers it. Just figured I'd pile on so we all realize how pervasive this issue is. Will update with my experience at the dealership.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lucky you with 2 weeks left on the B2B warranty! I’d get it in ASAP. I’m now 5 months out of warranty with 21,920 on mine. Problem presented 5 weeks ago when I returned from a month out of town and the car wasn’t driven that whole time. My unit was made in Poland, says so right on the label. I haven’t had a chance to bring it in, but it’s not going away so I’ll have to. I’m not happy about it, though.

Do let us know, please, about your experience.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just got mine replaced and it was under warranty! I thought I was out but they covered it. It's so nice not having to listen to that stupid noise.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Welp. The noise disappeared today and the dealership was not able to get it to make the noise again. Classic. I have a recording but that doesn't cut it (which is somewhat understandable). If fate continues to behave this way, it will likely return on the day my B2B warranty expires.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Welp. The noise disappeared today and the dealership was not able to get it to make the noise again. Classic. I have a recording but that doesn't cut it (which is somewhat understandable). If fate continues to behave this way, it will likely return on the day my B2B warranty expires.
Same thing happened to me...it would make the noise every time except for when I went to the dealer. The ticking got louder and longer. It started with a few clicks then eventually about two minutes long, even after going into gear. On the third visit for this, the tech heard the sound but said it was normal!
I showed him and the manager videos I took as well as some post and YouTube video showing the issue was in-fact the brake booster. I told them I felt unsafe driving the car and required a loaner until they would fix it. Long story short, they gave me a loaner until the repair was done.
My recommendation is they next time you hear it to bring it in ASAP. I don't remember the exact amount but the work order said it was a $1500 repair. I made it in at 33k miles and it was covered under warranty, if I would have waited longer I would have been on the hook for it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine would stop as temps got colder. When I dropped it off at the dealer in the morning it was colder, low 40s. It wouldn't duplicate the noise but I told them to check later in the day when it warmed up or keep it in the shop for an hour. Sure enough it started again.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Add mine to the list too. Intermittent, ad the morning after I get it back from the shop. Bet they heard it and did nothing about it so they could get it out of the shop

·
Registered
1 Posts
Add my 2017 Bolt to the list with this tapping brake/ booster sound. Time to find out if Chevy will cover it. i have 26,000 miles on the car, and 40 months. They should recall on this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Add my 2017 Bolt to the list with this tapping brake/ booster sound. Time to find out if Chevy will cover it. i have 26,000 miles on the car, and 40 months. They should recall on this.
I was in the same boat. Didn't think they would cover it since I was put by time but they did.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine too, 2017 Bolt. Bosch iBooster with the same symptoms as everyone else. I should add that I had thought as did one other that it was an HVAC vent clicking and reported it to the dealer. They said they adjusted some setting in the firmware and hoped it might work. It didn't and got a lot more pronounced. Not yet repaired.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mine would stop as temps got colder.

Taking mine in for the second time this morning. Was reliably making the noise yesterday. This morning with temp at 41F, not so much. I’m going to try preconditioning for about 40 minutes to try to coax the malfunction out of its slumber, but I’m also leaving the car at the dealership this time in the event that it doesn’t show up soon. Hard for us as a 1 car family. Thanks for the tip on the temperature issue.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts