Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Mine just started tapping when the door is opened (2018 LT). I am waiting for the battery fix before I take it in, hopefully the software will be available for the ibooster too, warranty ends in July.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2017 Bolt LT with 18K miles, from a car dealer that is 2 hrs away. Just recently I started hearing that ticking noise and it has become a concern. I’ve read about the software update from this forum that is expected to be released in Q1 of this year, but have not seen this confirmed by GM. I’m wondering if I should take this issue to my local Chevy dealer and let them know, rather than drive back 2 hrs to the dealer from where I purchased the vehicle.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Take it to the local dealer to save time and aggravation. If they confirm the problem, you’ll be on the list for future repair, when they figure out how to permanently fix the thumping sound.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey,

So I recently noticed that my car was making a clicking sound when I opened the doors. No, it's not the lock. It's not the shift lockout. It makes a series of clicks up under the dash. When I first noticed it, I posted a video where you could hear it and a helpful poster (on FB) thought it might be one of the three HVAC actuators. For the record, it might click 5-6 times, but sometimes it goes 20-30 before stopping.

I took it over to my local dealer and they told me it was actually the 'brake actuator'. When describing the symptoms to them originally, I had only noticed that morning that the clicks always stopped when you put your foot on the brake. The service guy told me that GM was aware of the issue with the brake actuator and no solution was yet available. According to the service guy, this is harmless. I never consider an issue with the brakes 'harmless'. If the actuator is rotating needlessly or whatever it controls is slamming against the stops repeatedly, this will eventually lead to a failure of some sort -- again, this is the ABS brake system so is that failure catastrophic?

Does anyone else notice a clicking sound in or under the dash when you enter your Bolt (even from passenger side, or rear hatch, with key fob)? Did GM diagnose your issue? Did they provide a solution? The service guy mentioned a bulletin on it but did not give me a number or other identifying information so I could track it. So I don't really have a way to track GM's progress on a solution.

Anyone else have a Bolt that talks to them when they open the doors or hatch? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2 Posts
The clicking started in my 2018 Bolt about two months ago. I’ve taken it for service and again today I was told that this is a common problem and that General Motors is working on software to solve it

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
The clicking started in my 2018 Bolt about two months ago. I’ve taken it for service and again today I was told that this is a common problem and that General Motors is working on software to solve it
They are working around the clock to solve this problem. Oh...wait, that's the fire patch.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt
141 Posts
I am hearing a clicking sound on my new 2020 but only when i turn off the car and get out. Just two clicks is all i hear.

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
I am hearing a clicking sound on my new 2020 but only when i turn off the car and get out. Just two clicks is all i hear.
The Bolt makes all sorts of noises, at all sorts of times. There are dozens of relays connecting, and disconnecting dozens of systems, controlled by dozens of computers. We can say for sure it isn't the radio being turned off.

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
It never made any before the last 2 days.
We have had our Bolt for 45 months. It makes the random click, or clunk now and then. Unless it becomes constant, and repeatable, they aren't going to find it anyway. If it is the i-Boost, it will get worse. It is not a safety hazard, and eventually they will offer the software fix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't remember exactly what they said, because I don't know much about cars. It was my husband's 2017 Chevy Volt, which has been through quite a bit of trouble in its lifetime. My husband left me the car while he went on a business trip for a month. I noticed this problem, but I didn't know what it was, and first I tried to look for something here Vehicles’ Dimensions: Get to Know Length and Width of Cars | Sizedly, but my husband immediately told me to take the car to the service center when I called him. They said that I did everything right, that I did not wait long with such a problem. It's all right now.

·
Registered
'17 Premier, Nightfall Gray Metallic
18 Posts
FYI, last week (3/30) I called the Bolt EV support line (877-486-5846) about the availability of the ’17 iBooster software update, was told I’d get a call back the next day; I actually did (~5 pm), and the advisor confirmed that it was due out end of Q1 ’21 — which was that day. He said I’d get a call back Monday from someone, it’s now Wed. and no call back...

I do have a case number...

·
Registered
'17 Premier, Nightfall Gray Metallic
18 Posts
So I got a call back late today from the GM California Customer Engagement Center, following up on the 3/31 call. The response was delayed while a definitive answer was sought somewhere from the senior team. The advisor acknowledged that Q1 is behind us. They’re working on the software update for the iBooster for the ’17 Bolts and it will be out “soon” — that was exactly how he put it. He suggested that I call back in a month. He closed my case number, probably so he could report it as resolved...

I’ll keep you all posted if/when there are any further developments. My iBooster’s been clicking for 6 months...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Similar results for me. The software update, available for the 2019-20 Bolts, does not work for the 2017-18 Bolts(personal knowledge).
I await this software update.
My 2017, has been thumping on and off for the last 6 months.

·
Registered
7 Posts
^^^ Same as the last two posts. I started a thread with my experience, and based on my last interaction in early February, not much has changed. I was told by my Service Advisor to check back in May... which sounded as good as any guess

81 - 99 of 99 Posts