Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the continuous tapping noise inside the Bolt 2017 only stops when the brake peddle is pushed. Internet search points to the brake actuator as the source. It appears GM is aware of the problem but has not issued a recall to correct the problem. It appears the cost to correct the function of the actuator costs over a 1000$. I have no idea whether there is a safety issue here.

·
Registered
38 Posts
the continuous tapping noise inside the Bolt 2017 only stops when the brake peddle is pushed. Internet search points to the brake actuator as the source. It appears GM is aware of the problem but has not issued a recall to correct the problem. It appears the cost to correct the function of the actuator costs over a 1000$. I have no idea whether there is a safety issue here.
There is a TSB for the issue now. They update some software and that is supposed to fix it. It's not a recall so you likely will have to pay to have that software installed.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
3,537 Posts
I wonder how a known issue and a software fix for it wouldn't be covered under warranty even past the warranty period. It is not like if it is wear and tear.
GM claims it's not a safety issue, so it's not a recall. It's like if your interior trim starts to squeak after the warranty period. Annoying, but if you really want to fix it, you'll have to pay for it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Well documented in the forum, especially for me, since I have had two total replacements which failed.
Finally software update cured the very annoying clicking thumping sound. I did not pay for any of the repairs, including the out of warranty software update.

·
Registered
116 Posts
GM claims it's not a safety issue, so it's not a recall. It's like if your interior trim starts to squeak after the warranty period. Annoying, but if you really want to fix it, you'll have to pay for it.
It is still not caused by wear but because of software bug or poor programing from the the beginning. If a software update fixes the issue, it should be under warranty even after the warranty period.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
3,537 Posts
It is still not caused by wear but because of software bug or poor programing from the the beginning. If a software update fixes the issue, it should be under warranty even after the warranty period.
Actually, we don't know if it's caused by a software bug, or if the software update just does something to stop the noise without fixing the underlying problem. For example (and this is just speculation, I don't know the real cause or solution), what if the software update simply simulates pressing the brake pedal, until you press the accelerator? It wouldn't have actually "fixed" the underlying cause of the noise, but just replicated what you do manually to stop the noise.

It might be a software bug, sure. But something that stops the symptoms of a problem is not automatically an indicator that it was the root cause of the problem.

It's like taking a pain reliever when you have the flu. Just because it's stops the pain doesn't mean it actually cured the flu, or that the absence of the pain reliever caused the flu in the first place.

The noise isn't a safety issue, so GM didn't need to actually fix the underlying cause of the noise. They just needed to address the symptoms.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Actually, we don't know if it's caused by a software bug, or if the software update just does something to stop the noise without fixing the underlying problem. For example (and this is just speculation, I don't know the real cause or solution), what if the software update simply simulates pressing the brake pedal, until you press the accelerator? It wouldn't have actually "fixed" the underlying cause of the noise, but just replicated what you do manually to stop the noise.

It might be a software bug, sure. But something that stops the symptoms of a problem is not automatically an indicator that it was the root cause of the problem.

It's like taking a pain reliever when you have the flu. Just because it's stops the pain doesn't mean it actually cured the flu, or that the absence of the pain reliever caused the flu in the first place.

The noise isn't a safety issue, so GM didn't need to actually fix the underlying cause of the noise. They just needed to address the symptoms.
If that is the case then yes I agree but not at the same time. I am not so sure that GM would fix the issue putting a band aid on it. If the source of the problem would be a broken part or wear, they would totally benefit from replacing the part. Also maybe if these parts are known to be causing this issue prematurely under normal use and GM might not want to replace the faulty part and puts a band aid on it (software update). Either way must be addressed under warranty in my opinion

1 - 8 of 8 Posts